Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 500 Questions  (Read 45434 times)

gamed121683

Re: 500 Questions
« Reply #60 on: May 27, 2015, 06:37:36 AM »
First of all, can we give some appreciation to the fact that they are actually seeking out smart, reasonable people to be on the show, as opposed to... whatever kind of pseudo-people as contestants the Endemol craze started?
Because it's not really a plus considering Endemol and the like gave the pseudo-people a chance at way, way more money on shows in the past?

Yeah, they're seeking out smart and reasonable people for this show and the questions are good, but I agree with Sodboy -- pretty much everything else is botched.

Botched? This sounds like a job for Dr. Dubrow.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #61 on: May 27, 2015, 04:31:04 PM »
- "Wrongs." You're trying too hard. Three red "X"s are strikes to every viewer you have across all demographics. Don't try to overhaul common parlance into an exclusively-branded concept.
This reminds me of the Australian version of 1 vs. 100. At the beginning Eddie would refer to the bits of assistance as lifelines, and why not? That was his most famous TV show. Apparently someone on production got a bug in his ear because he abruptly started calling them 'helps' and he looked annoyed every time the words crossed his lips.

- Why is this big-money big-bombast prime-time network TV game show EVENT dribbling out cash at $1000 per question (with rare exception)?
This I don't mind as much. Since it's supposed to be 500 questions there's not a great way to dole out money with each question (on the other hand it could have been another money tree paradigm.)

The problem I have is that the money is banked along the way and referred to rarely--similar to Jeopardy in fact but Jeopardy has a compelling game and there's always a winner at the end of every show. Here there's no real sense of tension at all because so much of the money is safe and the Genius is only risking what's in the current pot. Since the "risk" pot doesn't get very big, that doesn't give the tension a chance to rise all that much.

Travis L. Eberle

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #62 on: May 27, 2015, 05:13:29 PM »
I haven't added very much to this; but Mark Labbett favorited my tweet about the show, so I'll just drop that here instead.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #63 on: May 27, 2015, 06:34:18 PM »
Someone is keeping count, right? I really want to see if they even *ask* 500 Questions over the run of the series. Near as I can tell they are well behind schedule at this point.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #64 on: May 27, 2015, 06:35:49 PM »
BuzzerBlog is. (For the record, they're counting two-hour episodes as two one-hour shows.)
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #65 on: May 27, 2015, 06:38:26 PM »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #66 on: May 27, 2015, 06:40:43 PM »
Someone is keeping count, right? I really want to see if they even *ask* 500 Questions over the run of the series. Near as I can tell they are well behind schedule at this point.
I haven't watched yesterday's yet, but the current Genius is between 100 and 150, and the previous one got to 50 but not much more. Through the four hours up to Memorial Day I figure it's a little more than 200 questions asked.
Travis L. Eberle

jjman920

• Mhoops.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #68 on: May 27, 2015, 08:28:08 PM »
Oh, funny thing about this show (depending on your definition of "funny"): one of the show's writers is on Twitter, and noted earlier today that not only did the show have a pretty low prize budget, but the producers complained that they were giving away too much money. The producers were expecting a much higher contestant turnover, resulting in smaller wins.

Source

BrandonFG

« Reply #69 on: May 27, 2015, 08:32:06 PM »
Oh, funny thing about this show (depending on your definition of "funny"): one of the show's writers is on Twitter, and noted earlier today that not only did the show have a pretty low prize budget, but the producers complained that they were giving away too much money. The producers were expecting a much higher contestant turnover, resulting in smaller wins.

Source
That's the conversation Gene referenced above.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #70 on: May 27, 2015, 08:38:00 PM »
How can it be that they're giving away too much money? The current genius was on $99,000 on Monday and the first winner took down less than fifty grand, and that's it. They are giving away per hour about as much as The Singing Bee.
Travis L. Eberle

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #71 on: May 27, 2015, 08:44:40 PM »
Evidently, that's too much money for the producers' liking.

That's the conversation Gene referenced above.
I...didn't notice that. :(

Still, I did want to point out that the cheapness was intentional and the winning was way more than the producers wanted.

Toheckwiththis

« Reply #72 on: May 27, 2015, 09:06:06 PM »
Did they honestly think the show would be a smash hit with stakes this low?

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #73 on: May 27, 2015, 09:27:36 PM »
Did they honestly think the show would be a smash hit with stakes this low?
If the amount of money being given away determines how long a show will last, we should be celebrating The $1,000,000 Chance of a Lifetime's 30th year on television.

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #74 on: May 27, 2015, 09:33:53 PM »
Obviously, the money isn't everything -- the format and execution are. There's enough issues with the execution of this show to overshadow the fact not much is being offered, but the fact the producers were expecting a high contestant turnover to keep the winning minimal is a bit eyebrow-raising, especially since they were looking for legit-smart people to begin with.

[EDIT: Then again, 500 Questions beat the return of Are You Smarter Than A 5th Grader? by a million viewers, so what do I know? :P]
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 09:51:57 PM by Dan88 »