Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TPIR  (Read 10467 times)

tyshaun1

TPIR
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2004, 02:53:21 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' date=\'Jan 14 2004, 02:16 PM\'] I hate to pile on (okay, not that much), but what got me on today's show was his roller-coaster method for calling down contestants.

"John Q. Public, come on down. You're the next contestant! on The Price Is Right."

What's the name of the show again, Mr. Rosen? I couldn't quite make it out. [/quote]
 Personally, I think he tried way too hard to emulate Rod at the beginning and end of the show; from his "Booooooooooooooob Barrrrkerrrrr!" and  his "Daaaaaannnnnniel Rosen" at the end. In contrast, he sounded like was a clerk announcing in a supermarket (not sweep), with little to no vocal inflections in his delivery, and overall really seemed to drag the show down........even the audience seemed less enthusiastic (and that's hard to do!).

BTW, are the contestants on the show seemingly getting more annoying? 2 contestants in a row don't even know what they're bidding on? Geez!

Tyshaun

BrandonFG

TPIR
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2004, 03:01:36 PM »
[quote name=\'tyshaun1\' date=\'Jan 14 2004, 02:53 PM\'] BTW, are the contestants on the show seemingly getting more annoying? 2 contestants in a row don't even know what they're bidding on? Geez!
 [/quote]
 I also noticed a bid for $420. :-P
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
TPIR
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2004, 03:02:37 PM »
He's picked up some of Rod's worst habits. He needs a non-stop weekend of watching Johnny Olson episodes.

uncamark

TPIR
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2004, 03:52:21 PM »
Have to add that I wasn't impressed, either--but I wouldn't say what he was doing was "edgy," for those who want to jump on Vinnedge & Co. for anything.  If he was doing "edgy," he'd be screaming "DUDE!" a lot and doing "HOLY CRAP, IT'S A NEW CAR!"

Also, when Barker did "Daniel, what's that make of car again?", he could've just said it straight.

All in all, if Burton goes overboard in his readings sometimes, Rosen goes the other way.  Unless he improves, Burton and Randy shouldn't be losing any sleep.

Steve_Bier

TPIR
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2004, 04:40:09 PM »
After seeing today's episode, all I can think of is how Freemantle gave Burt Luddin...er....John Cervenka....his big break.

C'MON!

This guy is absolutely horrible. Hell, my 9 year old nephew could have done a better job. I wonder if I should send in a demo tape......LOL

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
TPIR
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2004, 04:46:29 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve_Bier\' date=\'Jan 14 2004, 02:40 PM\'] This guy is absolutely horrible. Hell, my 9 year old nephew could have done a better job. I wonder if I should send in a demo tape......LOL [/quote]
 I will say this, and I will say this in all seriousness:

What do you have to lose? Tape, couple stamps, a couple hours of your life.

Fremantle might like something they hear and want to take a closer look at you.

It's a delicious Entertainment Tonight story. "Yeah, I said, "hell, _I_ could do a better job than THIS guy." And I thought, well, why not?" Gets the show a little pub (always good if an MDS is about to air), makes the old folks at home smile.

Read five minutes of copy into a tape recorder, and let 'em have it. Why not?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

TPIR
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2004, 04:52:29 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jan 14 2004, 04:46 PM\'] [quote name=\'Steve_Bier\' date=\'Jan 14 2004, 02:40 PM\'] This guy is absolutely horrible. Hell, my 9 year old nephew could have done a better job. I wonder if I should send in a demo tape......LOL [/quote]
I will say this, and I will say this in all seriousness:

What do you have to lose? Tape, couple stamps, a couple hours of your life.

Fremantle might like something they hear and want to take a closer look at you.

It's a delicious Entertainment Tonight story. "Yeah, I said, "hell, _I_ could do a better job than THIS guy." And I thought, well, why not?" Gets the show a little pub (always good if an MDS is about to air), makes the old folks at home smile.

Read five minutes of copy into a tape recorder, and let 'em have it. Why not? [/quote]
 Hmmm...I *have* been looking for some voiceover work.

Randy, would it be possible to post some of your TPiR copy to the group, or is that confidential information? :-)
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

SplitSecond

TPIR
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2004, 05:01:32 PM »
I think it's poor form to ask somebody who's actively competing for a particular job to help you try to get that job instead.

BrandonFG

TPIR
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2004, 05:09:08 PM »
[quote name=\'SplitSecond\' date=\'Jan 14 2004, 05:01 PM\'] I think it's poor form to ask somebody who's actively competing for a particular job to help you try to get that job instead. [/quote]
 I didn't mean it like that, and if my statement implies such, then I apologize. I am seriously looking for voice-over work, and would probably start local. I would like to at least practice with various scripts though, to see what my forte would be.

SplitSecond

TPIR
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2004, 05:25:26 PM »
A good way to make a do-it-yourself script is to record an episode of a game show (let's say Price, in this case) and transcribe it in Microsoft Word.  Daniel Rosen, if nothing else, doesn't seem to deviate from the script, so you can transcribe from him word-for-word without much fear of capturing any sort of ad-libs.

Split all of your pages into two columns and leave one column blank.  This is where the director makes his markings on his own copy of the script.  Most scripts have the copy on the left side of the page and leave the right side blank - some have this flipped.

Put each element of the show on a separate page.  Show open on the first page, first One Bid on the next page, prizes for the first stage game on the next page, etc.  Double-space everything so you can make notes on pronunciation, emphasis, etc.  Make sure your text is ALL CAPS so that it is easier to read, and choose an easy-to-read font (Arial 10 or 12 point works fine for me).

Once you're finished transcribing the text, print it out, read it through, make notes, read it through some more, make notes... Once you're comfortable enough, start asking your friends to listen to you.  Those who have some knowledge about TV and radio announcing can give you some valuable pointers, but those who don't can also be valuable for their gut reaction to your overall style.

GS Warehouse

TPIR
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2004, 06:48:25 PM »
And a word of advice (boy, do I hope Doug isn't reading this): if you find yourself describing a "walter filter", don't get your hopes up.

Don Howard

TPIR
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2004, 10:16:17 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Jan 14 2004, 12:04 PM\'] Saw today's show, and he(Daniel) tried to sound like Rod at the show's close. [/quote]
 Indeed he did. It sounds like he's exaggerating his self-importance when he does so. Rod earned the right to do that after years in the booth. He didn't start doing that "Roooooodddddddd" business until Press Your Luck by which time he'd earned his stripes.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
TPIR
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2004, 10:34:24 PM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Jan 14 2004, 05:48 PM\'] And a word of advice (boy, do I hope Doug isn't reading this): if you find yourself describing a "walter filter", don't get your hopes up. [/quote]
 You were referring to Doug Morris, yes?  Otherwise, there's a cruel joke being perpetuated at my expense.  :)   (I didn't think Dougs were all that prevalent on this board, at least compared to the 33 Christophers that ARE on here.)

The other Doug -- soon to celebrate 300 posts
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

GS Warehouse

TPIR
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2004, 10:42:18 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Jan 14 2004, 10:34 PM\'] [quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Jan 14 2004, 05:48 PM\'] And a word of advice (boy, do I hope Doug isn't reading this): if you find yourself describing a "walter filter", don't get your hopes up. [/quote]
You were referring to Doug Morris, yes?  Otherwise, there's a cruel joke being perpetuated at my expense.  :)   (I didn't think Dougs were all that prevalent on this board, at least compared to the 33 Christophers that ARE on here.) [/quote]
Sorry about the confusion; I did mean Doug Morris.  ("Walter filter" came from the 'Net Price is Right blooper page.)  And now that you mention it, I'm not the only Jason here either.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2004, 10:43:16 PM by GS Warehouse »

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
TPIR
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2004, 10:44:59 PM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Jan 14 2004, 09:42 PM\'] [quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Jan 14 2004, 10:34 PM\'] [quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Jan 14 2004, 05:48 PM\'] And a word of advice (boy, do I hope Doug isn't reading this): if you find yourself describing a "walter filter", don't get your hopes up. [/quote]
You were referring to Doug Morris, yes?  Otherwise, there's a cruel joke being perpetuated at my expense.  :)   (I didn't think Dougs were all that prevalent on this board, at least compared to the 33 Christophers that ARE on here.) [/quote]
Sorry about the confusion; I did mean Doug Morris.  ("Walter filter" came from the 'Net Price is Right blooper page.) [/quote]
 I figgered as much.  I'll have to check the TNPiR page out, if the link is still active (I could always use a chuckle).

Doug -- soon to celebrate 300 posts
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)