Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TPIR  (Read 10466 times)

HSquares2003

TPIR
« on: January 13, 2004, 11:46:25 AM »
Has Fremantle truly lost their scruples! Daniel Rosen sounds like crap IMHO! I'm not just saying that because Randy is a member of this board, it is truly what I believe. People were irked when they heard Paul Boland, but, I'll take him Burton or Randy over this guy anyday!!!

drmusic_99

TPIR
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2004, 12:06:23 PM »
Was this his first show? If it was, I'll cut him some slack. But he certainly seems to be deficient in the energy department.

whewfan

TPIR
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2004, 12:06:52 PM »
Here's my assessment on Dan Rosen..

He's not TERRIBLE. He does have a good announcing voice, but unfortunately, his "COME ON DOWNs" have no more PUNCH than a product plug.  Still, I shuddered inside when I heard this John Cervenka (sp?) soundalike. (the announcer of Love Cennection towards the end of the run, and the "host" of the gawdawful Burt Luddin's Love Buffet) I am surprised that he did the TPIR Live shows... I surely expected better.

To put Dan on the "TPIR Announcer Scale", I'd say he's more tolerable than Paul Boland, but nowhere NEAR the caliber of Burton or Randy.

DYosua

TPIR
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2004, 12:12:59 PM »
I agree - he sounds horrible.  As chris319 predicted, he sounded more like an actor doing a caricature of an announcer than actually being interested in the show.  I also heard him coughing into his mike before the grocery descriptions in "Hit Me."  As for putting him on the Annoucer Scale, he's off it - in the wrong direction.

HSquares2003

TPIR
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2004, 12:24:21 PM »
Glad to see that I wasn't totally off on this assesment

SplitSecond

TPIR
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2004, 01:29:13 PM »
He has all the sincerity of a Hussein.  But at least his warm-up is totally original.

Oh, and that "new" camera tilt during the Showcase Showdown that people have been going nuts about?  They were doing that back in 1975.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2004, 01:32:06 PM by SplitSecond »

Matt Ottinger

TPIR
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2004, 01:32:28 PM »
If I'm Randy, I'm not losing sleep over this.

Heck, if I'm Paul Boland I'm not losing sleep over this.

Does this guy have a killer warmup or something?  'Cause there are about twenty guys ON THIS FORUM who could have done a better job reading copy.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

pianogeek

• LET'S PLAY!
TPIR
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2004, 01:57:36 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Jan 13 2004, 01:32 PM\']Does this guy have a killer warmup or something?  'Cause there are about twenty guys ON THIS FORUM who could have done a better job reading copy.[/quote]
Heck, I would.  Though I wonder how it would sound on television.  At least "in my dreams", my voice tend to be Burton-ish, while my pronouncations tend to be Randy-ish, especially in small product announcing copys...haha!
-Sanford

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
TPIR
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2004, 02:04:54 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Jan 13 2004, 12:32 PM\'] If I'm Randy, I'm not losing sleep over this.

Heck, if I'm Paul Boland I'm not losing sleep over this.

Does this guy have a killer warmup or something?  'Cause there are about twenty guys ON THIS FORUM who could have done a better job reading copy. [/quote]
 Seeing as how his first foray into notoriety was doing this juggling/stand up act (I'm pretty sure he's done a Jerry Lewis telethon or seven), I'd venture to say that's his warm-up act (I don't know this for a fact, though).

And thanks for the compliment.  :)

Doug -- soon to celebrate 300 posts
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

BrandonFG

TPIR
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2004, 02:34:42 PM »
[quote name=\'HSquares2003\' date=\'Jan 13 2004, 11:46 AM\'] Has Fremantle truly lost their scruples! Daniel Rosen sounds like crap IMHO! I'm not just saying that because Randy is a member of this board, it is truly what I believe. People were irked when they heard Paul Boland, but, I'll take him Burton or Randy over this guy anyday!!! [/quote]
 Damn...CBS was out on my TV this morning...any Norfolk-area residents, did you have trouble picking up WTKR as well, or is it just me? It wasn't the cable, and all the other broadcast channels came in clear. From what it sounds like, Fremantle is trying even harder to get that younger audience. I don't see why they'd have any trouble, though.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Robert Hutchinson

TPIR
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2004, 02:51:30 PM »
To sum up my thoughts in one word: cold. To use a second word: distant. If not for his (one-word) play off of Bob asking him to fetch another contestant ("Fetching so-and-so"), I would have been willing to bet that he wasn't even in the studio.

What amazed me the most was the way he read copy for the grocery and small-prize games. Not only did he not deviate one syllable from it, not even to say "next, we have...", but he barely even took a beat between descriptions!

"Enjoy Bruce's Yams Johnson's Baby Shampoo"

Then he actually spent about ten seconds just saying his name at the end of the show. You can get away with that if you're Rod Roddy (or Olson or West or Richardson, although they didn't/don't), but not if you've just spent the last 55 minutes as the Amazing Human Copy-Reading Machine.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

PeterMarshallFan

TPIR
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2004, 04:47:58 PM »
I'll just say he's replaced Bob Lorman on my top list of worst announcers ever. He sounded like Paul Boland on sedatives, and his "this is Daaaaaaaaaaaaannniell Rosen" closing sounded like he was trying to be Rod, IMO.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
TPIR
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2004, 05:00:48 PM »
[quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Jan 13 2004, 02:47 PM\'] I'll just say he's replaced Bob Lorman on my top list of worst announcers ever. He sounded like Paul Boland on sedatives, and his "this is Daaaaaaaaaaaaannniell Rosen" closing sounded like he was trying to be Rod, IMO. [/quote]
 I haven't even heard this guy yet (Tivo-willing, I will when I get home), but the first thing that springs to mind is that drawing out the name "Daniel" is just going to sound moronic no matter how you do it. For the purposes of this gig, I'd shorten it to "Dan". "Daaaaaaaan Rosen" works.

(That said, it works for Randy, because he just belts it out. "This is RANDY WEST speaking!" Yet another reason why Our Man is The Man. :))
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

PeterMarshallFan

TPIR
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2004, 05:12:00 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jan 13 2004, 06:00 PM\'] [quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Jan 13 2004, 02:47 PM\'] I'll just say he's replaced Bob Lorman on my top list of worst announcers ever. He sounded like Paul Boland on sedatives, and his "this is Daaaaaaaaaaaaannniell Rosen" closing sounded like he was trying to be Rod, IMO. [/quote]
I haven't even heard this guy yet (Tivo-willing, I will when I get home), but the first thing that springs to mind is that drawing out the name "Daniel" is just going to sound moronic no matter how you do it. For the purposes of this gig, I'd shorten it to "Dan". "Daaaaaaaan Rosen" works.

(That said, it works for Randy, because he just belts it out. "This is RANDY WEST speaking!" Yet another reason why Our Man is The Man. :)) [/quote]
 You make an excellent point--it works for shorter names like "Dan" or "Rod" but definitely not "Daniel."

He did have an OK voice [he kinda sounded somewhere between Dee Baker and Randy] but TPIR was definitely not his show.

cmjb13

TPIR
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2004, 05:33:05 PM »
Just because an announcer works in front of a few hundred people for an untelevised show doesn't mean it will translate to on-air.

I have a feeling you won't be hearing this guy again. Geez, I'll never take Burton for granted again.

One thing about Paul Boland I found funny.

I recall a conversation where Paul was told to tone it down, as he was "way" out there. He then said something along the lines of "This is the way I do it".
« Last Edit: January 13, 2004, 05:38:32 PM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS