Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hollywood Squares apparently is canceled.....  (Read 30184 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Hollywood Squares apparently is canceled.....
« Reply #60 on: January 14, 2004, 12:16:00 AM »
[quote name=\'JMFabiano\' date=\'Jan 13 2004, 10:07 PM\'] Not that I like to use the death of a beloved show to further my cause, but NOW can we have Caroline on one last time???????  And I think even I sound tame compared to some of the other posts ;-) [/quote]
 No. And only Thad is keeping you from looking totally foolish right now.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Game Show Man

• Admiral Anaheim, Big Joey Numbers, etc.
« Reply #61 on: January 14, 2004, 12:38:43 AM »
I am very sad to see H2 go.  I have my share of happy memories of having gone to tapings (including BOTH Game Show Weeks) and watched the show (and seeing many friends like Jason Hernandez, Mandel Ilegan, Randy West and others).  I will see if I can't go to see Tom B. and the gang AT LEAST one last time (maybe I'll see if I can get Tom's autograph and a handshake).

We'll miss ya, Tom.

OBGAMESHOW: KCOP's old studios were home to Barry & Enright's Tic Tac Dough and Joker's Wild from the late '70s through the mid-'80s.

One of my favorite "game show experience" stories took place in THAT very studio.  I'll put it up on my blog tonight, which incidentally is at:
this address for those interested in such things.

"Game Show Man" Joe Van Ginkel
"Game Show Man" Joe Van Ginkel
captvangin@aol.com
"Remember, reality bites, so WATCH MORE GAME SHOWS!"

BrandonFG

« Reply #62 on: January 14, 2004, 09:46:50 AM »
[quote name=\'Thad Dixon\' date=\'Jan 13 2004, 06:36 PM\'] [quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jan 13 2004, 02:55 PM\'][quote name=\'Thad Dixon\' date=\'Jan 13 2004, 02:43 PM\']
To get this thread back on its original topic, I STILL say H2 should be renewed instead of cancelled!  Unlike Davidson's version and the MG/HS Hour, it is AS GOOD AS the Marshall original, so it should be allowed to stick around for AT LEAST AS LONG AS the Marshall original did, regardless of cost AND ratings!  I would rather they cancel Oprah and Dr. Phil instead, then take all the money they've made off of those shows, and put it into the budget for H2 next season! [/quote]
With a theory like that, you'd be laughed out of every TV executive's office in this country.  [/quote]

NO, I WOULD NOT!  I would be doing so very well every TV executive in the country would start to worship me and put up a picture of me somewhere in their office!

Do the show regardless of cost? They've already scaled down the bonus round prizes...instead of a $20,000 car, you now play for a $10,000 vacation on the first try. Second try is $10,000 cash instead of $25,000. At this rate, by next season, we'd have a bargain-basement H2, where the car offered is a Kia Rio.

That's what you think!  I envision a seventh season of H2 going like this:

Matches are still straddled, but now use a Password Plus-style scoring system:  up to four games per match with the first two games worth $1,000 each and the third and fourth games worth $2,000 each;  the second $1,000 game of each match is still a Secret Square game, with the progressive jackpot from seasons 2-5 reinstated;  first player to amass $3,000 or more wins the match and plays the bonus round.

In your first crack at the bonus round, you once again play for a $20,000+ car!
If won, your next crack is worth $25,000 in cash once again!
If won that time, your next crack after that is worth $50,000!  
If you win on that level, then it's on to $75,000!  
And then, once you win that amount, every crack you get after that is worth......

$100,000!!![/b]

A bit like what it was in season 5, except this time there is no vacation involved.  And yes, you could get more than one crack at the $100K this time;  that's because, just like Jeopardy! started doing this season, contestants would no longer have to retire after winning five matches;  they could keep right on playing as long as they keep winning!  THE SKY'S THE LIMIT ON H2 AND JEOPARDY!

Also, I hate to bear bad news, but I don't think King World will touch Oprah or Dr. Phil, considering they're the two highest-rated talk shows. I don't watch neither one, but I know a hit show when I see it.

In 1976, another game show that used nine celebrities and had a host named Tom, got high ratings yet it got the ax after all of 15 weeks.  Has any talk show in TV history ever met a similar fate?  Oprah and Dr. Phil would be the first two, if not.  If King World would rather see them stay on, however, I can only think of one other way to cover production costs on H2:  sell the syndication rights for Oprah and Dr. Phil to another syndicator and do it for a whole heap of money! [/quote]
 (sigh) Why am I bothering?

The last two seasons, HS/H2 offered their $100,000 bonus rounds (in the case of the latter, you'd work your way towards $100K). It did nothing for ratings. Honestly, Wheel's ratings haven't really gone up or down since THEY offered the new bonus wheel. Now, unless you're Dr. Evil (or Dr. Demento), how the hell do you expect to pull in viewers, when seasoned producers couldn't even do it?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

zachhoran

« Reply #63 on: January 14, 2004, 09:52:56 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jan 14 2004, 09:46 AM\']
The last two seasons, HS/H2 offered their $100,000 bonus rounds (in the case of the latter, you'd work your way towards $100K). It did nothing for ratings. Honestly, Wheel's ratings haven't really gone up or down since THEY offered the new bonus wheel. Now, unless you're Dr. Evil (or Dr. Demento), how the hell do you expect to pull in viewers, when seasoned producers couldn't even do it? [/quote]
 Is the fifth level of this season's bonus round $100K, or has it been lowered? Odds are that no one will win five bonus rounds before the season is out(one lady did win four), but thought I'd ask anyway?

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #64 on: January 14, 2004, 10:50:08 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jan 14 2004, 09:52 AM\']Is the fifth level of this season's bonus round $100K, or has it been lowered?[/quote]
$50k
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

ChuckNet

« Reply #65 on: January 14, 2004, 03:11:54 PM »
Here's what I think is the problem with the current format: When you go to a best 2-out-of-3 format, it may make for faster game play and it may help the show's ratings, but that leads to something many of us like to call "Cliff-Hangers" (as in "To Be Continued....").

Actually, as Lemon pointed out, what you're referring to is called (in GS terminology) "straddling". And from a ratings standpoint, straddling often gets viewers to come back on the next show; "Time's up for today, will Joe Blow win that new car in the bonus round? Find out tomorrow...".

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

uncamark

« Reply #66 on: January 14, 2004, 03:21:44 PM »
[quote name=\'tyshaun1\' date=\'Jan 13 2004, 07:04 PM\']BTW, Dr. Phil is distributed by Paramount, not King World.[/quote]
But KW co-produces the show with Harpo.  The Paramount distribution deal is one Viacom division scratching the other.  :)

And on my part, thanks to Steve Radosh, Jay Redack, Brian, Tom and the whole KW team (and the Moffitt/Lee and Winkler/Leavitt teams) for six great years.  Hope that Steve can get a new show on the air very soon.

gameshowguy2000

« Reply #67 on: January 14, 2004, 03:30:32 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Jan 14 2004, 02:11 PM\']
Here's what I think is the problem with the current format: When you go to a best 2-out-of-3 format, it may make for faster game play and it may help the show's ratings, but that leads to something many of us like to call "Cliff-Hangers" (as in "To Be Continued....").

Actually, as Lemon pointed out, what you're referring to is called (in GS terminology) "straddling". And from a ratings standpoint, straddling often gets viewers to come back on the next show; "Time's up for today, will Joe Blow win that new car in the bonus round? Find out tomorrow...".

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby") [/quote]
 So, "Cliff-Hangers" is the wrong term? Why does "Straddling" make more sense than "Cliff-Hangers"?

clemon79

« Reply #68 on: January 14, 2004, 03:48:34 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Jan 14 2004, 01:30 PM\'] So, "Cliff-Hangers" is the wrong term? Why does "Straddling" make more sense than "Cliff-Hangers"? [/quote]
If it makes more sense to you, you can feel free to call it "Anal Chafing" when yer sitting around the house. I'm telling you what the industry terminology is that you should use if you want your post to make sense to US.

If your posts don't make sense to most of us, they're not going to be taken seriously. They might not even get read at all. I'm pretty sure you want neither.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2004, 04:36:06 PM by clemon79 »

BrandonFG

« Reply #69 on: January 14, 2004, 04:29:18 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Jan 14 2004, 03:30 PM\'] [quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Jan 14 2004, 02:11 PM\']

So, "Cliff-Hangers" is the wrong term? Why does "Straddling" make more sense than "Cliff-Hangers"? [/quote]
 To quote Chris Lemon: "Cuz."

IMODO, a cliff-hanger is something you'd see more on something like a soap opera. Usually, it's done during the season finale, and viewers must wait until the fall for the resolution, i.e. Who Shot J.R? Do a Google search at through rec.arts.tv...there's been a million posts on them.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

gameshowguy2000

« Reply #70 on: January 14, 2004, 05:33:17 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jan 14 2004, 03:29 PM\'] [quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Jan 14 2004, 03:30 PM\'] [quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Jan 14 2004, 02:11 PM\']

So, "Cliff-Hangers" is the wrong term? Why does "Straddling" make more sense than "Cliff-Hangers"? [/quote]
To quote Chris Lemon: "Cuz."

IMODO, a cliff-hanger is something you'd see more on something like a soap opera. Usually, it's done during the season finale, and viewers must wait until the fall for the resolution, i.e. Who Shot J.R? Do a Google search at through rec.arts.tv...there's been a million posts on them. [/quote]
 OK. I'll use "Straddling" from now on.

Don Howard

« Reply #71 on: January 14, 2004, 10:26:14 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Jan 14 2004, 03:21 PM\'] And on my part, thanks to Steve Radosh, Jay Redack, Brian, Tom and the whole KW team (and the Moffitt/Lee and Winkler/Leavitt teams) for six great years.  Hope that Steve can get a new show on the air very soon. [/quote]
 Maybe they can bring back Tic Tac Dough and have Tom host that.

clemon79

« Reply #72 on: January 14, 2004, 10:46:45 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Jan 14 2004, 08:26 PM\'] Maybe they can bring back Tic Tac Dough and have Tom host that. [/quote]
 Sometimes I think we should have picture of a large wooden paddle with the following words carved into it.

"TOM BERGERON IS NOT INTERESTED IN A CAREER IN THE GAME SHOW BUSINESS."

And that paddle should be used to beat thoroughly about the head and shoulders anyone who insists on continuing to make suggestions like the above, even though this simple fact has been rehashed in this forum about 5,000 times.

Red

« Reply #73 on: January 15, 2004, 12:34:21 AM »
I know it was doing poor, but this kinda took me by surprise. Well, sorry to see it go.
-Paul Ford

RedGiant@toonzone.net

Thad Dixon

« Reply #74 on: January 15, 2004, 01:01:57 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jan 14 2004, 10:46 PM\'][quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Jan 14 2004, 08:26 PM\'] Maybe they can bring back Tic Tac Dough and have Tom host that. [/quote]
Sometimes I think we should have picture of a large wooden paddle with the following words carved into it.

"TOM BERGERON IS NOT INTERESTED IN A CAREER IN THE GAME SHOW BUSINESS."
[/quote]
Which is exactly ANOTHER reason why King World ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY MUST KEEP GOING with H2 instead of allowing the stations to replace it with that ET wannabe!  I want Tom to be in the game show business FOR THE REST OF HIS LIFE!  I don't want Tom to be the next Charlie Gibson OR Matt Lauer OR Harry Smith OR David Hartman!  I want Tom to be the next BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILL CULLEN!!!!!  'Tis better to KEEP him hosting H2 until he DIES or until he decides he WILL agree to doing other game shows when H2 really has run its course (which it has not yet), whichever occurs first!  If I were Tom's agent, I would only let him get another morning show gig on ONE condition:  that ALL of Tom's co-hosts on said morning show must ALSO have worked on a game show at some point!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2004, 08:53:38 PM by Thad Dixon »