Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hollywood Squares apparently is canceled.....  (Read 30186 times)

ChuckNet

Hollywood Squares apparently is canceled.....
« Reply #90 on: January 15, 2004, 11:33:15 AM »
Let me at least attempt to get things back on topic by saying that H2 was a great revival...every season except the 4th brought some improvements, and it only got better when Whoopi left...Henry Winkler and Michael Levitt really turned the show around, even if it ended up being too little too late.

Tom Bergeron proved himself to be one of the best GS finds of the decade, and while I understand his not wanting a career in the biz (when an Early Show replacement for Bryant Gumbel was sought 2 yrs ago, Tom's "con" in a pros/cons article about the potential candidates was "He's a *GS host*, for goodness sakes"), if he ever changed his mind, I'd love to see him do another show.

As for the celebrity bookings, even I was impressed...before Celeb WWtBaM came along, where else would you see such high-caliber stars as Garth Brooks, Pamela Anderson, Cindy Crawford, the entire Baldwin family, Carol Burnett, Robin Williams, Billy Crystal, Ray Romano, et al?

So to the cast/crew, you can be proud of yourselves for putting together a damn good show...6 years is nothing to shake a stick at, and once again, it's twice as long as Davidson's version lasted...if producers ever needed a guidebook on how to revive a classic GS, this would be it.

Farewell, H2...we'll miss you.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

davemackey

« Reply #91 on: January 15, 2004, 03:03:18 PM »
"Game show host" is as attractive a career choice as "alchemist to the king" or "royal blacksmith" these days.

I really don't blame Tom if he thinks his fortunes lie elsewhere, in spite of Chris C.'s outright plea to continue down this path. I really don't see anyone lobbying for another show for Donny Osmond just yet... the experience has merely proved he can handle this sort of format, and perhaps he'll go back to singing or doing "Joseph/Dreamcoat" somewhere (pray he hasn't forgotten the words to "Go Go Go Joseph").

And Thad.... you've really lost your grip, as your messages here and in the Pyramid cancellation thread attest to. Accept it, and move on.

gameshowguy2000

« Reply #92 on: January 15, 2004, 07:38:33 PM »
Here's another thing I didn't like about H2:

The contestants had to STAND instead of sit. Don't Winkler and Leavitt know that contestants who stand for 30 minutes get tired?

Heck, if I got on the show (and having learned it's gonna be shown the door, that won't happen), and had to stand for 30 minutes, I would get tired!

Anyone else?

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #93 on: January 15, 2004, 07:46:21 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Jan 15 2004, 07:38 PM\'] Here's another thing I didn't like about H2:

The contestants had to STAND instead of sit. Don't Winkler and Leavitt know that contestants who stand for 30 minutes get tired? [/quote]
 This makes no difference in how the game is played.  I have never understood this point.

Brandon Brooks

zachhoran

« Reply #94 on: January 15, 2004, 07:48:30 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Jan 15 2004, 07:38 PM\'] Here's another thing I didn't like about H2:

The contestants had to STAND instead of sit. Don't Winkler and Leavitt know that contestants who stand for 30 minutes get tired?

[/quote]
That did indeed break a long-standing tradition of Squares in having the players stand instead of sit. However, J! players stand that long during tapings(the Fleming versions had players seated save for the bonus of the late 70s revival), as do WOF players.

Obsquares: KYW, in its infinite wisdom, decided that an Eagles pep rally was more important than Squares tonight(which I guess it is), and preempted it for the rally. When will the Eagles' playoff season bleep off and die, as Philly sports teams have lost in the playoffs for 21 years....
« Last Edit: January 15, 2004, 07:49:18 PM by zachhoran »

gameshowguy2000

« Reply #95 on: January 15, 2004, 07:53:16 PM »
It doesn't make any difference in game play, but the contestants look better when they SIT, which is what the contestants did in the Marshall and Davidson versions, and the first 4 seasons of the Bergeron version.

Heck, I saw your episodes, Brandon, and you SAT during the front game. The only time you stood was during the Double Or Nil bonus round.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2004, 07:57:06 PM by gameshowguy2000 »

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #96 on: January 15, 2004, 07:54:15 PM »

The contestants had to STAND instead of sit. Don't Winkler and Leavitt know that contestants who stand for 30 minutes get tired? [/quote]
 This makes no difference in how the game is played.  I have never understood this point.

Brandon Brooks

CherryPizza

« Reply #97 on: January 15, 2004, 07:56:02 PM »
[quote name=\'Brandon Brooks\' date=\'Jan 15 2004, 07:46 PM\'] [quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Jan 15 2004, 07:38 PM\'] Here's another thing I didn't like about H2:

Brandon Brooks [/quote]
 People in the studio having fun = viewers watching having fun

People in the studio sending out good vibes = viewers receiving good vibes

Viewer feels something for people on screen = people on screen doing their jobs to the utmost (game shows ARE about empathy with those featured)

People on screen display signs of discomfort = viewer therefore feels for those experiencing discomfort.

If a game show viewer wants what's best for those featured on the show, it only goes to show that the people at the show have gotta be doing something right

(BTW, it can make a lot of difference to how the game is played. Celebs being relaxed in their squares could make them more inclined to take part in the spirit of fun that the game is about. If they were tired and wanted to get the hell out of there, it just wouldn't be the same show

gameshowguy2000

« Reply #98 on: January 15, 2004, 07:58:36 PM »
[quote name=\'Brandon Brooks\' date=\'Jan 15 2004, 06:54 PM\'] [quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Jan 15 2004, 07:38 PM\'] Here's another thing I didn't like about H2:

Brandon Brooks [/quote]
 I know it doesn't make any difference in game play, but it does make a difference on if the contestants get tired from standing for a half hour.

See the post that talks about your appearance, Brandon.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #99 on: January 15, 2004, 08:21:33 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Jan 15 2004, 05:58 PM\'] I know it doesn't make any difference in game play, but it does make a difference on if the contestants get tired from standing for a half hour.
 [/quote]
 I can honestly say that in fifty-five combined man-years of watching Wheel Of Fortune, Jeopardy, and the last couple seasons of Squares, (in ADDITION to the MANY other shows that have contestants standing behind a podium for the duration of the program), I have NEVER EVER EVER seen a contestant complain of being tired. I have never seen a contestant LOOK tired.

My GOD, man! On Weakest Link they had to stand there for A WHOLE HOUR! It's a wonder they didn't DIE!
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

CherryPizza

« Reply #100 on: January 15, 2004, 09:36:38 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jan 15 2004, 08:21 PM\'] My GOD, man! On Weakest Link they had to stand there for A WHOLE HOUR! It's a wonder they didn't DIE! [/quote]
 Episodes of TWL were made in many takes. They only stood for a couple of minutes at a time. Between breaks in taping, they'd sit.

I can't say this for sure about either version that Anne Robinson hosted, but in her autobiography, Australian host Cornelia Frances confirms this of the Oz show

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #101 on: January 15, 2004, 09:51:53 PM »
[quote name=\'CherryPizza\' date=\'Jan 15 2004, 07:36 PM\'] Episodes of TWL were made in many takes. They only stood for a couple of minutes at a time. Between breaks in taping, they'd sit.
 [/quote]
 My point is, ask the lady who works at the supermarket ringing up your groceries 8 hours a day if she has any sympathy for someone who has to stand for a 1/2 hour or an hour, hopped up on adrenaline, and in a position to win lots of cash and prizes. My guess is she won't have much.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #102 on: January 16, 2004, 02:51:08 AM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Jan 15 2004, 07:58 PM\'] I know it doesn't make any difference in game play, but it does make a difference on if the contestants get tired from standing for a half hour.

See the post that talks about your appearance, Brandon. [/quote]
 Chris ended up making my point.  WOF and Jeopardy would've bowed a long time ago if standing made a difference.

Brandon Brooks

Ian Wallis

« Reply #103 on: January 16, 2004, 09:01:27 AM »
It doesn't make any difference in game play, but the contestants look better when they SIT, which is what the contestants did in the Marshall and Davidson versions, and the first 4 seasons of the Bergeron version.

The part about standing doesn't bother me.  I'd gladly stand if I could be a contestant on "Squares".  I think what would bother me most is the temperature - it's VERY cold in those TV studios, and I usually need some sort of sweater or cardigan unless the indoor temperature is at least 75.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

tvwxman

« Reply #104 on: January 16, 2004, 11:29:33 AM »
Well....the studio is cold where you're sitting in the audience....do a little time standing under those hot lights and you'll start feeling like a chicken mcnugget.

They ain't dropping the temp in the studio deliberately...with the one exception being Letterman's show..he keeps the Ed Sullivan Theater at a toasty 55 degrees to help keep the audience alert...personally, i don't think he needs the help from the a.c!

Matt Scott
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"