Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Toronto Sun on Fake-a-Date  (Read 2116 times)

Blaq

Toronto Sun on Fake-a-Date
« on: January 12, 2004, 10:45:06 AM »
Link to article

The Toronto Sun's TV critic has just posted an article from its TV critic on GSN's new program announcements:

Joe Millionaire: The poor guy can't act
By BILL BRIOUX -- Toronto Sun

HOLLYWOOD -- Last summer, after Joe Millionaire became the year's No. 1 show, a release went out to the Toronto media announcing that Evan Marriott would be co-starring as Felix Unger in a production of The Odd Couple. Not in New York or London or even the Royal Alex, mind you, but at the Heritage Theatre in Brampton, Ont.

Now, my son Daniel, who turns 11 today, once played the Heritage Theatre. It is a fine old neighbourhood playhouse that has been dodging demolition for years. But it ain't exactly Broadway.

So when I spotted Marriott at the Game Show Network's event to promote Fake-A-Date, a new relationship show he hosts, I asked what happened to his theatrical career.

"I dunno -- somebody must have thought I was Glenn Close or something," he joked.

According to Marriott, the invitation to join the play went to his manager. His manager said yes without consulting Marriott. Marriott reminded his manager that he can barely remember his own name, let alone 200 pages of dialogue.

"I'm a construction worker," Marriott pointed out.

Marriott didn't seem too bitter that Zora, the girl he eventually chose on Joe Millionaire, took half his million-dollar winnings without so much as a second date. "I've said it before," he joked. "I didn't have to marry her and she still took half of what I had."

His new dating series features two women -- one available and one not so available -- who go out on separate dates with a male contestant. If the dude picks the right chick, they win a nice trip. If he picks Mrs. Wrong, he stays home while the lady and her man go on vacation. It starts March 17 on the digital channel, which officially changes its name to GSN ("The Network for Games") around the same time.

GSN has also picked up the CBC series Kenny vs. Spenny, a rare U.S. network snatch of a Canadian-made show.

Stars Kenny Hotz and Spencer Rice were at the GSN press session. Their series pits the two childhood pals against each other in goofy competitions, such as who can stay up the longest or be a more convincing rock musician.

For some bizarre reason, it's billed as an afternoon kids show at CBC, prompting a flood of calls from horrified parents. GSN has it on Thursdays at 10 p.m. to appeal to the Punk'd generation. "We're thrilled to be inappropriate in America, finally," says Hotz.

GSN is also betting on the TV poker craze that seems to be taking hold in America. They're televising a World Series of Blackjack with notorious card shark Max Rubin in on the deal. Rubin made Kenny and Spenny feel right at home with this shot at Canucks: "There's a joke in Vegas," he says. "The difference between a Canadian and a canoe? A canoe will occasionally tip." Ouch!