Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Fremantle launching game show digital channel  (Read 55492 times)

colonial

Fremantle launching game show digital channel
« on: January 20, 2015, 08:04:41 AM »
"Buzzr TV" will feature game shows from the Fremantle library, and will be programmed/distributed in a similar vein as Antenna TV, MeTV and Retro -- digital subcarriers of larger stations (in this case, the Fox O&O's to start) ...

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/fox-stations-to-launch-game-show-digital-channel-from-fremantlemedia-1201409379/

JD

SuperMatch93

-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

cmjb13

Re: Fremantle launching game show digital channel
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 08:41:07 AM »
It could mean something or could mean nothing, but there's no mention of airing any version of TPIR

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/82339/fox-oos-push-the-button-on-buzzr-tv
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 09:10:12 AM »
The prophecy has been fulfilled.

all hail the ottinger
master of past, present, and future
ohhhhhhhhmmmmmm
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 09:23:58 AM »
So where does the line open up at for the amount of time until the channel is renamed HarveyFF?
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

pacdude

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 11:21:58 AM »
It could mean something or could mean nothing, but there's no mention of airing any version of TPIR

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/82339/fox-oos-push-the-button-on-buzzr-tv

There was mention: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/fox-tv-stations-air-classic-764821?utm_source=twitter

On Tuesday, FremantleMedia announced Fox’s 17 owned and operated TV stations are the first customer for an endless stream of titles including The Price Is Right, Card Sharks, To Tell The Truth, Beat The Clock, Password and versions of Family Feud hosted by Richard Dawson, Ray Combs, Louis Anderson, Richard Karn and John O’Hurley. The Steve Harvey version will eventually be added as well.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2015, 12:05:40 PM »
So does this mean GSN would cease carrying these shows (what few they do anyway), or could they coexist with Buzzr?
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2015, 12:12:11 PM »
This is potentially the best (certainly the biggest) classic game show news I've heard in a long time.

So does this mean GSN would cease carrying these shows (what few they do anyway), or could they coexist with Buzzr?

We have no way of knowing that, and ultimately that would be up to Fremantle.  But if you want clues, the quote below about Harvey Feud "eventually" being added might suggest that they're waiting for contracts to run out.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2015, 12:14:04 PM »
The prophecy has been fulfilled.

all hail the ottinger
master of past, present, and future
ohhhhhhhhmmmmmm

Happy to see you people are finally coming to your senses.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2015, 01:21:00 PM »
Have they announced specifically which O&O's will be carrying the channel at launch? I want to know whether I'm going to have any free time this summer.

(Matt: The last time we met and I shook your hand, did you have any visions of my future?)

dale_grass

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2015, 01:23:50 PM »
(Matt: The last time we met and I shook your hand, did you have any visions of my future?)

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2015, 01:41:03 PM »
Have they announced specifically which O&O's will be carrying the channel at launch? I want to know whether I'm going to have any free time this summer.
From what I've read, all of them (which is seventeen).

Unfortunately, Baltimore doesn't have an O&O. The closest is WTTG in DC and I don't think I can pick that up all the way up here anymore. So I'm curious as to what other stations besides O&Os are getting this or is starting off as an exclusive?

We have no way of knowing that, and ultimately that would be up to Fremantle.  But if you want clues, the quote below about Harvey Feud "eventually" being added might suggest that they're waiting for contracts to run out.
I know Fremantle was/is trying to make the most money they can off their product and that this deal wasn't final until now, but I'm surprised they whored Harvey Feud out to all these other sources if they knew this was in the works. I mean it was already past the point of saturation on GSN, but they went to at least three other channels with deals. Now, they have to wait to use it on their own channel.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

jimlangefan

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2015, 01:55:34 PM »
From what I've read, all of them (which is seventeen).

Unfortunately, Baltimore doesn't have an O&O. The closest is WTTG in DC and I don't think I can pick that up all the way up here anymore. So I'm curious as to what other stations besides O&Os are getting this or is starting off as an exclusive?

From what I've read, the channel is being shopped around at the NATPE convention as we speak.  So I'm sure some other areas will pick this up.
TV's Big Dealer

DjohnsonCB

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2015, 02:30:15 PM »
Dear BUZZR TV: Please, please, PLEASE pony up the costs for having the 2-inch-quad tapes of 1975's Spin-Off with Jim Lange digitized, then put them on your network!
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel

jage

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2015, 03:05:37 PM »
Not entirely surprised, but also very happy for this. These subchannels are definitely the best side effect of the move to digital. At least for now. In 10 years, they may just end up like today's oversaturated cable nets.
GSN wouldn't have a lot of classics left to air if they lose GT, but it seems like a block of PYL, $ale, Pyramid, and a couple of others would probably remain at least for now. Could always plug in some classic Newlywed game 7 times per day.

Also, is this being programmed as a 24/7 operation?