Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Any more Time Capsule shows coming?  (Read 7924 times)

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
Re: Any more Time Capsule shows coming?
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2015, 07:47:48 PM »
Honestly...I love the obscurities.
[...]
It doesn't help that the [first three] shows were mediocre at best, so GSN pretty much has the "Before They Were Stars" factor and not much else. It'll either work or it doesn't...and we saw what happened.
Don't get me wrong, I love them as well. The thing is that GSN needed something good to start the Time Capsule off with, maybe a Wheel or Jeopardy! (not sure what they'd choose of either, though) or one of David Letterman's appearances on Pyramid, Password Plus, or The Gong Show -- a high-profile and/or well-remembered show with a well-known celeb.

Despite them being brought to us by Adam and Matt, All-Star Secrets and Babble just weren't gonna cut it, even with Brad Garrett on the latter. I'm not saying GSN shouldn't have aired those or the Sparks Cross-Wits -- I'm saying they weren't the best shows to lead off with.

And honestly, I know John rubs a lot of people here the wrong way, but he deserves some credit for getting some of the stuff on GSN.
I'll give John credit where it's due, but he's done the "I have/know something you don't!" thing quite a few times over the years, hence my reasoning. The secrecy about who was hosting Combination Lock comes to mind, if only because I don't get why he'd want to hide the fact Marc Summers and/or Ty Treadway was hosting...unless that was during a period where Marc had been kicked off but they hadn't hired Ty yet.

Trust me, I get that. Doesn't mean I have to like it, but yeah.
What exactly are you saying here? Matt said he was sworn to secrecy. Is it a bummer? Maybe, but there's not much you can do.
That's pretty much what I was saying, yeah. We're probably never gonna get the reason for the secrecy, and while I don't like it I can acknowledge it and move on.
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2015, 08:01:51 PM »
if only because I don't get why he'd want to hide the fact Marc Summers and/or Ty Treadway was hosting...unless that was during a period where Marc had been kicked off but they hadn't hired Ty yet.
You don't have to get that. It was their secret to keep and that's the end of it. I was annoyed (and I'm still annoyed, come to think of it) that John didn't atone for his attitude around these parts, but that's my own quibble to deal with. If John was the conduit for the treats then hurrah for him; I certainly say "well he was a (whatever word) years ago, so boo him for that even though he did something neat here."

For all the advances you've made here, you just peg yourself back when you opine on topics like this. Maybe it isn't fair but it is.
Travis L. Eberle

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2015, 08:49:40 PM »
The whole thing also kinda has the smell of John Ricci on it.

Actually, that was me. Must have been the gazpacho.

I thought you quit the 'zpacho?

Sometimes, seriously, you don't have to like someone to give them credit for something when it is due to them. For all of John's well documented problems, from his hissy fits to his "I sold a concept so I'm better than you and you can't judge my idea for making a game show based on a toy fad from the 1980s because you didn't sell a concept" attitude, you can't ignore the fact that he was fortunate enough to have something brought to pilot stage, in two separate countries mind you.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2015, 10:07:16 PM »
I thought you quit the 'zpacho?

Funnily enough, save for the bread (which admittedly is an intrinsic ingredient), gazpacho is something I can actually eat right now. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe