Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Lots of panel shows the week of 12/15  (Read 8113 times)

Matt Ottinger

Re: Lots of panel shows the week of 12/15
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2014, 01:30:04 PM »
Question - I've noticed on the '72 IGAS, Steve does not mention any prize money to the contestants. I wonder if they got any or they just got the prizes Johnny O announced. I know on the four eps of IGAS that Cullen hosted in '76, the contestants got no money.

In the seventies, the G-T people stumbled across a bit of brilliance when it came to their two main panel shows.  People didn't care whether the "contestants" (who really didn't do anything) won anything or not.  So they just dropped it.  They were content to play the guessing game for a couple of minutes, then demonstrate and/or explain the guest's "secret" and/or "line".  Contestant received prizes, mostly to maintain the artifice that this was a game show, but for them, the chance to be on television, and the exposure that could bring to their business or book, was work more than a token cash prize.

This is such a simple concept that it's astonishing how many panel shows (including kids shows) have messed it up since.  No one wants to watch a game being played badly.  Go no further than our consensus on Celebrity Name Game to be reminded of that.  Plus, you always want to root for the contestant, especially a solo one.  On a panel show, if there's a prize for "stumping" the panel, those two fundamental concepts are at odds with each other.  If you want the contestant to win, you have to hope the game is played badly.  If you want to watch the celebrities play well, then you hope the contestant doesn't get the prize.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2014, 06:28:10 PM »
The Name's the Same did it a really clever way. A contestant wins a token amount from each celebrity who doesn't solve the riddle. That means a guaranteed three prizes, and a fourth prize if the panel is stumped.

SuperMatch93

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2014, 06:33:46 PM »
Did anyone else's DVR not record the Blyden WML episode? I had it set to record the series, but it's only recorded the Daly ones.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

That Don Guy

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2014, 09:12:12 PM »
Did anyone else's DVR not record the Blyden WML episode? I had it set to record the series, but it's only recorded the Daly ones.
Mine missed it as well, even though it manages to record the color IGAS episodes with a season pass that also was set up for the B&W ones.

That Don Guy

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2014, 09:16:41 PM »
Other guests on IGAS were Anne Meara, Joan Rivers and Alan Alda. The Alda show had Jayne Meadows, Bill Bixby and Jack Cassidy as panelists. On WML, the MGs included Lucy, Hugh Hefner and Art Carney, who Bennett called Al Carney. Art said "point of order."

Looking forward to the color eps of WML and TTTT.
Wasn't "point of order" some sort of running gag in that episode?  I thought it might have had something to do with the Army-McCarthy hearings.

Also, by "color eps of TTTT", I assume you mean the (IIRC) CBS daytime Collyer eps - of course, the Garry Moore syndicated episodes were all in color.  And didn't GSN air the last Collyer daytime episode at some point?

snowpeck

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2014, 10:45:25 PM »
The color episodes to which he's referring already aired last night (but air again Thursday afternoon.) Bruner WML and TTTT from late in the Collyer daytime run. They've aired a handful of those, including the finale.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

TimK2003

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2014, 11:57:04 PM »
Question - I've noticed on the '72 IGAS, Steve does not mention any prize money to the contestants. I wonder if they got any or they just got the prizes Johnny O announced. I know on the four eps of IGAS that Cullen hosted in '76, the contestants got no money.

But for the panel shows with interesting "contestants", didn't G/T also foot the bill for their travel from Podunk, IA to NYC with a couple of days either side of the taping? 

tvmitch

« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2014, 12:28:37 PM »
Just a note that it looks like my TiVo listings are screwed up for the upcoming What's My Line repeat tomorrow.

The listing is for "What Is My Line?" which is apparently a fishing related informercial. I chuckled a bit.

Worth a manual record just for the halibut. My TiVo season pass jobby didn't catch it.
You should follow me on Twitter

Esoteric Eric

« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2014, 02:06:30 PM »
Also note that WIML? is listed in a ninety-minute block (10:00 - 11:30pm PST). Curiouser and curiouser.
Eric Smallman; "...I don't think God ever forgave me for Phyllis Newman..." - "Jimmy Carter" (Dan Aykroyd), SNL, 1976

chad1m

« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2014, 02:13:15 PM »
Also note that WIML? is listed in a ninety-minute block (10:00 - 11:30pm PST). Curiouser and curiouser.
It has been previously established that the airing tonight is the ABC 25th anniversary special.

snowpeck

« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2014, 02:17:09 PM »
That's because they're running "WML? At 25" tonight.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

That Don Guy

« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2014, 08:02:24 PM »
It has been previously established that the airing tonight is the ABC 25th anniversary special.
IIRC, it aired at 11:30 PM as part of ABC's late night "Wide World of Entertainment" series (which, on occasion, would air a week of Joey Bishop's talk show, which, IIRC, had Regis Philbin as his sidekick).

The only other two game show related shows I can remember that aired as part of WWOE were the National Trivia Championships (teams of three played with College Bowl-style rules) and a celebrity "treasure hunt" of some sort (four teams of three celebrities earned points by following a series of clues - for example, while riding on a miniature train, they saw a BurmaShave-style series of signs that pointed them to the Pickwick Drive-In in Burbank (which closed in 1989; it's now a shopping center with a Pavilions supermarket), although one team got confused and tried searching the Pickwick Bookstore before having to give up some points in order to make a phone call to get help).

mmb5

« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2014, 01:56:47 PM »
And had the problem of one of the celebrities (Joe Flynn) dying 10 days after taping.
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.