Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Celebrity Name Game - cancellations?  (Read 10718 times)

Matt Ottinger

Re: Celebrity Name Game - cancellations?
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2014, 11:52:06 AM »
I'm not gonna blame that all on the hosting change, but I gotta say adding the Plus One was really a bad move. Largely because people for the most part seem clueless on how to properly utilize it.

Also, as a practical matter, it doesn't make a lot of sense.  If I'm making my big trip to be on a big-time TV show, I'm bringing my wife, not my trivia-savvy buddy.  (Sorry, Mike.)
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2014, 01:10:22 PM »
Are "Millionaire" contestants only allowed one companion in the audience now? I know back in the primetime days, you'd sometimes see multiple friends/family members per contestant. And it seems like it wouldn't be a big deal to tell the producers, "My wife is here to watch and cheer me on, and Mike will be my Plus One."

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2014, 01:46:39 PM »
To be totally fair, Terry's growing pains have turned a lot of people off. And most of them didn't come back, either.
Citation needed, says you, et al.

He's done a very capable job, all the same.
So which is it? Growing pains or capable?

I'm speaking specifically to Tim's point about the show being a shoutfest, and that's just not the case.
Travis L. Eberle

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2014, 05:39:43 PM »
To be totally fair, Terry's growing pains have turned a lot of people off. And most of them didn't come back, either.
Citation needed, says you, et al.

Says me and more than a few others whom I've talked to about this.

He's done a very capable job, all the same.
So which is it? Growing pains or capable?

I'm speaking specifically to Tim's point about the show being a shoutfest, and that's just not the case.

And I'm speaking to the point that, in the early goings- especially in his first few weeks of shows- it WAS a shoutfest. He WAS yelling a lot when he didn't need to. He WAS overly caffeinated, it seemed, at times. As the weeks have gone on, moat if not all of that has disappeared. He worked through the early jitters, and now he found his niche and can finally let his hosting do the talking for him instead of the crazy man act.

In other words, while I can see Tim's point, I agree with yours more than I do his.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2014, 06:04:22 PM »
Says me and more than a few others whom I've talked to about this.
And the big question, does that translate into a ratings delta when compared to the Cedric year. (Really, a year? He made it a year, or was it two?)

And I'm speaking to the point that, in the early goings- especially in his first few weeks of shows- it WAS a shoutfest. He WAS yelling a lot when he didn't need to. He WAS overly caffeinated, it seemed, at times. As the weeks have gone on, moat if not all of that has disappeared. He worked through the early jitters, and now he found his niche and can finally let his hosting do the talking for him instead of the crazy man act.
Perhaps I gave him a wide berth because he was so different than Cedric but I didn't notice. I liked his style and still do. I've mentioned this before; I would fast forward the show when Cedric was hosting, getting the question, whatever lifeline was used and the answer/reveal, and that was it. Now I'm watching the whole show.

In other words, while I can see Tim's point, I agree with yours more than I do his.
Mazel tov! Who wants chocolate frosty milkshakes?
Travis L. Eberle

PYLdude

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2014, 05:10:39 AM »
I'm not gonna blame that all on the hosting change, but I gotta say adding the Plus One was really a bad move. Largely because people for the most part seem clueless on how to properly utilize it.

Also, as a practical matter, it doesn't make a lot of sense.  If I'm making my big trip to be on a big-time TV show, I'm bringing my wife, not my trivia-savvy buddy.  (Sorry, Mike.)

Realistically, you could do both, but at the same time I think you'd want to have Mrs. O in the spotlight seat even if you did go in that direction. (I think they also might be more inclined to have your relations displayed with you, hence why mom got the slot behind me and bro's significant other was in the bleachers elsewhere).

That's another thing I didn't get...why did they move the spotlight seat from stage right to stage left? Does it stage better?

(Paging Josh Eldridge...did anybody else come with you to Connecticut, or was it just Cory that was there? I forgot if you answered this and would like a clarification, please. :))
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

mmb5

« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2014, 10:05:22 PM »
To be fair, she would probably be of more use anyway, as our base of knowledge is similar and hers isn't.
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

Thunder

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2014, 11:11:38 PM »
Trying to get back on topic here, Jake, I think the best thing to do is contact all the Memphis TV stations and show them the CNG web site (so they know what you're talking about) and try to tell them to put CNG on their schedule as soon as possible (oddly enough, CBS affiliate WREG is owned by Tribune, so why that station didn't pick up CNG is beyond me).

I'm thinking that it's a safe assumption that Tribune media services already contacted every TV station to tell them about the wonders of Celebrity Name Game before September.

PYLdude

« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2014, 01:19:25 AM »
Trying to get back on topic here, Jake, I think the best thing to do is contact all the Memphis TV stations and show them the CNG web site (so they know what you're talking about) and try to tell them to put CNG on their schedule as soon as possible (oddly enough, CBS affiliate WREG is owned by Tribune, so why that station didn't pick up CNG is beyond me).

I'm thinking that it's a safe assumption that Tribune media services already contacted every TV station to tell them about the wonders of Celebrity Name Game before September.

Plus I don't think that stations are falling all over themselves to pick up the show as it is. Improved ratings or not.

Also, hadn't this been in the works for a year prior to premiering? WREG apparently is a recent acquisition by Tribune and I figure if I'm right, they already had the show sold and ready to go.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2014, 11:48:45 AM »
I watched CNG again on a lark yesterday: there's a decent game there if they would cast people who can play it well, instead of taking 75 seconds to get eight right in the bonus game. I don't care for the den look of the set or the fact that we get cutaways to Craig doing a surprised face at some silly clue (and the fact that the rounds bounce back and forth mean we're not going to have a single shot held for the whole round), but if they got some players who planned out a strategy with some conventions and didn't rush to say so much that it comes out unintelligibly that they'd have something good.
Travis L. Eberle