Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Brother, can you spare a million?  (Read 8003 times)

TheInquisitiveOne

Brother, can you spare a million?
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2004, 02:22:47 PM »
[quote name=\'matchgame\' date=\'Jan 10 2004, 02:22 AM\']
I saw Access Hollywood on the ticker...

"The Wayne Brady Show" will be cancelled as of this season.

...and I'm sure the LA ratings weren't the best either because it was on against a little show called "The Price Is Right".

Josh [/quote]
 Same here in my Chicago market. This is also a good reason as to why Ellen's talk show (overrated as it is) is getting buried in the 10 A.M. time slot.

Does NBC 5, ABC 7, and WCIU have a clue? If a game show could not dethrone TPiR in the time slot for 22 years, it's a pretty safe bet that a talk show won't even come close.

The Inquisitive One

(I figured in the fact that, for about 3 years or so, TPiR did not come on @ 10AM in my area because of Donahue.)
This is the Way.

inturnaround

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2004, 02:35:09 PM »
[quote name=\'TheInquisitiveOne\' date=\'Jan 10 2004, 02:22 PM\'] Same here in my Chicago market. This is also a good reason as to why Ellen's talk show (overrated as it is) is getting buried in the 10 A.M. time slot.

Does NBC 5, ABC 7, and WCIU have a clue? If a game show could not dethrone TPiR in the time slot for 22 years, it's a pretty safe bet that a talk show won't even come close.

The Inquisitive One

(I figured in the fact that, for about 3 years or so, TPiR did not come on @ 10AM in my area because of Donahue.) [/quote]
 I don't get that logic. In today's ratings battles, talk shows get much better ratings compared to game shows so it would stand to reason that a talk show would stand a much better chance of getting good ratings against TPiR as opposed to another game show.

And if it's king of that market's timeslot, then the aim would be to get as many eyeballs as possible...so you counterprogram with a show not like what's on the other channel....thus, a talk show.

I mean, there's only so many formats available out there for daytime mornings. Soap opera, court shows and talk shows are the most popular. I'm not surprised they picked a talk show nor can I blame them.
Joe Coughlin     
Human

CherryPizza

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2004, 05:34:20 PM »
The professional critic's associations have nothing to worry about from you two.

Yes, well... whenever you need some wit and wisdom, you can always find some too-appropriate words from the good folk at The Simpsons...

Milhouse: "We gotta spread this stuff around. Let's put it on the Internet!"
Bart: "No! We have to reach people whose opinions actually matter!"

whampyl03

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2004, 06:28:36 PM »
Well, this is upsetting.  A real shame; Wayne's show was enjoyable.

GSWitch

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2004, 07:16:05 PM »
[quote name=\'GSWitch\' date=\'Jan 10 2004, 11:55 AM\'] FINAL JEOPARDY!
The only Lawrence Brother who never appeared on Wayne Brady. [/quote]
 Who is Matthew Lawrence?

There, I answered my own question.  I mean, questioned my own answer!

uncamark

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2004, 07:31:45 PM »
[quote name=\'TheInquisitiveOne\' date=\'Jan 10 2004, 02:22 PM\']Same here in my Chicago market. This is also a good reason as to why Ellen's talk show (overrated as it is) is getting buried in the 10 A.M. time slot.

Does NBC 5, ABC 7, and WCIU have a clue? If a game show could not dethrone TPiR in the time slot for 22 years, it's a pretty safe bet that a talk show won't even come close.[/quote]
Actually, in Chicago "The View" regularly beats "TPIR" in total households, due to the fact that there are a lot of people who still watch WLS from wire to wire every day.  But I believe it's one of the few markets--if not the *only* market--that "The View" beats "TPIR."

And as for the comment on why the syndicators haven't turned more to game shows, until "WWTBAM," "Feud" and "Pyramid"'s upturns this season, there wasn't much interest--and since decisions on what shows to market are made in advance, plans were being made in other genres, most notably the makeover/how-to genre which has been exclusive PBS and cable's bailiwick, thanks to "Trading Spaces."  No new game shows have yet to be announced, but wait until next year.

BrandonFG

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2004, 02:53:00 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Jan 11 2004, 07:31 PM\'] [quote name=\'TheInquisitiveOne\' date=\'Jan 10 2004, 02:22 PM\']Same here in my Chicago market. This is also a good reason as to why Ellen's talk show (overrated as it is) is getting buried in the 10 A.M. time slot.

Does NBC 5, ABC 7, and WCIU have a clue? If a game show could not dethrone TPiR in the time slot for 22 years, it's a pretty safe bet that a talk show won't even come close.[/quote]
Actually, in Chicago "The View" regularly beats "TPIR" in total households, due to the fact that there are a lot of people who still watch WLS from wire to wire every day.  But I believe it's one of the few markets--if not the *only* market--that "The View" beats "TPIR."

And as for the comment on why the syndicators haven't turned more to game shows, until "WWTBAM," "Feud" and "Pyramid"'s upturns this season, there wasn't much interest--and since decisions on what shows to market are made in advance, plans were being made in other genres, most notably the makeover/how-to genre which has been exclusive PBS and cable's bailiwick, thanks to "Trading Spaces."  No new game shows have yet to be announced, but wait until next year. [/quote]
 I'm not disputing your word, because you're pretty informative about game shows and all, but how come you seem so confident in next year being the "big year?" Just a curious question.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

urbanpreppie05

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2004, 04:43:25 PM »
I'm not disputing your word, because you're pretty informative about game shows and all, but how come you seem so confident in next year being the "big year?" Just a curious question.

Aren't some talk shows due for ending their contracts next year? Or is it the next year....
insert signature here

ChuckNet

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2004, 12:14:26 PM »
Well, this is upsetting. A real shame; Wayne's show was enjoyable.

I agree...w/all the crappy "trash talk" we had to sit through in the mid-90s (and often at the expense of game shows), Wayne's show was a breath of fresh air and solid proof that talk show producers are now focusing more on celebrity chat formats (Wayne, Ali & Jack, et al.) and self-help (Dr. Phil, John Walsh).

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

uncamark

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2004, 12:25:01 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jan 12 2004, 02:53 PM\']I'm not disputing your word, because you're pretty informative about game shows and all, but how come you seem so confident in next year being the "big year?" Just a curious question.[/quote]
The syndicators are going to notice "WWTBAM," "Feud" and "Pyramid"'s ratings gains this year.  Also (although the trend to double runs may curb that), Disney, Fremantle/Tribune and Sony may be seriously considering stablemates for those above shows to offer as a package.

Disney doesn't have much in its library to offer ("The All-New Win, Lose or Draw?"--and "WBSM" could only be a late-night show on broadcast TV if done as in its original conception), but Sony and Fremantle/Tribune have lots of titles to consider (and yes, probably screw up).  Or they could even pull out a new concept or import a format that we haven't seen yet ("Fifteen-to-One," for example, which is now owned lock, stock and barrel by Fremantle).

All conjecture, of course (and "big year" would mean September 2005, in case there's any confusion).

zachhoran

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2004, 08:05:24 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Jan 13 2004, 12:14 PM\'] Wayne's show was a breath of fresh air and solid proof that talk show producers are now focusing more on celebrity chat formats (Wayne, Ali & Jack, et al.) and self-help (Dr. Phil, John Walsh).

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby") [/quote]
 Dr. Phil will probably be the only one of the four shows you name that will see next season(Wayne and John Walsh have been axed, and Ali and Jack is tanking worse than those two and I don't see that getting renewed).

tommycharles

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2004, 10:36:55 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Jan 13 2004, 12:25 PM\'] The syndicators are going to notice "WWTBAM," "Feud" and "Pyramid"'s ratings gains this year.  Also (although the trend to double runs may curb that), Disney, Fremantle/Tribune and Sony may be seriously considering stablemates for those above shows to offer as a package.

Disney doesn't have much in its library to offer ("The All-New Win, Lose or Draw?"--and "WBSM" could only be a late-night show on broadcast TV if done as in its original conception), but Sony and Fremantle/Tribune have lots of titles to consider (and yes, probably screw up).  Or they could even pull out a new concept or import a format that we haven't seen yet ("Fifteen-to-One," for example, which is now owned lock, stock and barrel by Fremantle).

All conjecture, of course (and "big year" would mean September 2005, in case there's any confusion). [/quote]
 Personally I think a syndicated WBSM could do very well....I really liked that show and thought it was the best quiz aside from WWTBAM since The Challengers.

Oh, and what did Fremantle aquire that they now own 15-to-1 ? Oh, and I really, really hope they don't try to bring that one overseas. It works fine in the UK, but it's fairly obvious that shows that work in the UK often will fall flat on their face over here.

If we do get a "big year" in 2005 I'm hoping for WBSM, Wipeout, and Russian Roulette in syndication - but there's absolutely no reason to think that that will happen. Just dreaming, I guess.

T

BrandonFG

« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2004, 11:10:17 PM »
[quote name=\'tommycharles\' date=\'Jan 13 2004, 10:36 PM\'] [quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Jan 13 2004, 12:25 PM\'] The syndicators are going to notice "WWTBAM," "Feud" and "Pyramid"'s ratings gains this year.  Also (although the trend to double runs may curb that), Disney, Fremantle/Tribune and Sony may be seriously considering stablemates for those above shows to offer as a package.

Disney doesn't have much in its library to offer ("The All-New Win, Lose or Draw?"--and "WBSM" could only be a late-night show on broadcast TV if done as in its original conception), but Sony and Fremantle/Tribune have lots of titles to consider (and yes, probably screw up).  Or they could even pull out a new concept or import a format that we haven't seen yet ("Fifteen-to-One," for example, which is now owned lock, stock and barrel by Fremantle).

All conjecture, of course (and "big year" would mean September 2005, in case there's any confusion). [/quote]
Personally I think a syndicated WBSM could do very well....I really liked that show and thought it was the best quiz aside from WWTBAM since The Challengers.

Oh, and what did Fremantle aquire that they now own 15-to-1 ? Oh, and I really, really hope they don't try to bring that one overseas. It works fine in the UK, but it's fairly obvious that shows that work in the UK often will fall flat on their face over here.

If we do get a "big year" in 2005 I'm hoping for WBSM, Wipeout, and Russian Roulette in syndication - but there's absolutely no reason to think that that will happen. Just dreaming, I guess.

T [/quote]
 Actually, I'd definitely agree on at least one of those. I know Russian Roulette was considered for syndication, IIRC right before it went to GSN. I'd like to see Sony go ahead and try to market it for 2005...I'd also like to see Fremantle push a $ale revival, but then again, with their track record...
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2004, 11:45:41 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jan 13 2004, 11:10 PM\'] Actually, I'd definitely agree on at least one of those. I know Russian Roulette was considered for syndication, IIRC right before it went to GSN. I'd like to see Sony go ahead and try to market it for 2005...I'd also like to see Fremantle push a $ale revival, but then again, with their track record... [/quote]
 Today!  On Sale of the Century!

This new Mead notebook! Normally priced at $1.59 for only $.49!
This Apple IIe computer, normally priced at $69 for only $20!
and this new 1984 Ford Tempo!  Normally priced at $900 for only $89!

Three of the great deals today on....
Sale of the Century!
--Mark
Phil 4:13

gameshowguy2000

« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2004, 12:36:18 AM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Jan 13 2004, 10:45 PM\'] [quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jan 13 2004, 11:10 PM\'] Actually, I'd definitely agree on at least one of those. I know Russian Roulette was considered for syndication, IIRC right before it went to GSN. I'd like to see Sony go ahead and try to market it for 2005...I'd also like to see Fremantle push a $ale revival, but then again, with their track record... [/quote]
Today!  On Sale of the Century!

This new Mead notebook! Normally priced at $1.59 for only $.49!
This Apple IIe computer, normally priced at $69 for only $20!
and this new 1984 Ford Tempo!  Normally priced at $900 for only $89!

Three of the great deals today on....
Sale of the Century! [/quote]
And I think EVERYONE here might want to take all THREE of those prizes, including ME!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2004, 12:36:39 AM by gameshowguy2000 »