Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Sale of the Century: Discussion on Matt Ottinger's episode  (Read 17670 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Re: Sale of the Century: Discussion on Matt Ottinger's episode
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2014, 09:51:01 PM »
If I were to say "If only you had resisted temptation and not bought that silly swing set you would have won the game," even if I believe I am being pleasant and complimentary, is dickish.

Matt O. came so close to defeating the champion, but lost to Jan.  If not for buying one of his instant bargains, he could have become the champion.

Quoted for lulz.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2014, 11:02:13 AM »
If we're all done snipping at each other, some answers to some burning questions.

No, I don't have any of the prizes anymore.  I used the vacuum cleaner and the luggage for years (though truthfully, I didn't travel a lot back then).  Honestly couldn't tell you what became of them, but I haven't had them for decades now.  The infamous lawn swing never even touched down at my apartment.  When it was delivered, I had the driver take it to WKAR, where I donated it to the station for it to be auctioned as part of an annual fundraising event.  This was still several years before QuizBusters, and at the time, I was simply a volunteer over there with a lawn swing I needed to dispose of.

Off camera, Jan was quiet and focused, while Melanie and I were goofing around, having fun and yeah, maybe flirting a little.  After the game, I didn't get to speak to Jim Perry beyond a brief handshake, but I still have an image in my head about what an imposingly tall man he was up close.

As for the swing purchase, those of you who understand the game know that I was hoping for some cash, and at the time, I was still playing the game pretty well.  Also, if I didn't buy the swing and the scores were still close, then maybe Jan doesn't buy her trip later in the game.  I've never thought that the Instant Bargain purchase cost me the game, but I certainly understand why others feel that way.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2014, 10:24:26 PM »
You know, at first, when I saw the first Instant Bargain, I was like "He could probably use luggage, but he shouldn't buy that." Then I saw the luggage up close when they zoomed in and changed my tune. It really looked nice, and I couldn't blame you for purchasing it.

The lawn swing was a fun bit. It really showcased how good Jim Perry was at offering these bargains. He was a great fit for this show.

In the end, you can talk about the what-ifs of what bargains you should or shouldn't have purchased, but the fact of the matter is that you ended the speed round tied and were simply a quicker trigger finger away from replacing Jan. Given how fast you were in the beginning of the game, I liked your chances. Still, getting that close is pretty cool.

It's a shame that you couldn't forecast the future and tell Jim you planned on using your television knowledge to "create a page dedicated to Bill Cullen for all the world to see instantly", without looking insane.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2014, 10:42:23 PM »
It really looked nice,
It was Sale of the Century, not Temptation, y'know.
Travis L. Eberle

TimK2003

« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2014, 09:13:26 AM »
Matt, you took it down to the wire.  Well Played.

• Nice to see a rare Jay Stewart cameo in that episode as well.

• Anybody catch Jim's faux pas on the "Old Man River" question -- where is the Monongahela River?

gamed121683

« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2014, 12:25:10 PM »
A right answer from beating Jan on $ale...a correct Final Jeopardy away from taking down KenJen...

Matt Ottinger : Game Shows : : CCR : The Billboard Charts. Always a bridesmaid, eh?

chad1m

dale_grass

« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2014, 01:41:54 PM »
I just can't help myself.

Johnissoevil

« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2014, 02:19:01 PM »
Very well played Matt.  Heck with Instant Bargain details and the like, overall, great game.
In loving memory of my father, Curtis Fenner 4/29/44-8/13/15

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2014, 02:23:30 PM »
Always a bridesmaid, eh?

Suddenly I am reminded of the New Yorker Caption Contest.

/more specifically, the generic entry thereto
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Clay Zambo

« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2014, 03:19:56 PM »
A great game, Matt!  Terrific fun to see.

• Anybody catch Jim's faux pas on the "Old Man River" question -- where is the Monongahela River?

In Western Pennsylvania, flowing through the town in which I grew up on its way to Pittsburgh.
czambo@mac.com

Jay Temple

« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2014, 03:38:44 PM »
It's a shame that you couldn't forecast the future and tell Jim you planned on using your television knowledge to "create a page dedicated to Bill Cullen for all the world to see instantly", without looking insane.
I thought he was going to mention Uncle Bill specifically in some way.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2014, 04:19:04 PM »
I thought he was going to mention Uncle Bill specifically in some way.
Uncle Bill might have been hosting TJW against Sale at the time.  I'm sure the powers that be wouldn't like any promotion for another then-active host or a potential competing show.

TimK2003

« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2014, 04:27:36 PM »
A great game, Matt!  Terrific fun to see.

• Anybody catch Jim's faux pas on the "Old Man River" question -- where is the Monongahela River?

In Western Pennsylvania, flowing through the town in which I grew up on its way to Pittsburgh.

I knew where it was...Jim thought it was on the other side of the state (Philly).

Look at the bright side Matt. Had you won, you might have been the one faced wit the LOVELY "Pizzaz" instant bargain  mentioned in the other thread.

Johnissoevil

« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2014, 05:50:34 PM »
Uncle Bill might have been hosting TJW against Sale at the time.  I'm sure the powers that be wouldn't like any promotion for another then-active host or a potential competing show.

At least one market that I know of (New York City) had both shows carried by the same station, WOR Channel 9
In loving memory of my father, Curtis Fenner 4/29/44-8/13/15