Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: ABC orders "500 Questions"  (Read 3994 times)

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
ABC orders "500 Questions"
« on: September 18, 2014, 02:29:59 PM »
Don't know what to make of this one yet...

Story from B&C

BrandonFG

Re: ABC orders "500 Questions"
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 02:40:22 PM »
Details on the show’s format were not revealed, though the network promised in its announcement that it will test “the smarts — and nerve — of contestants in a pressure-packed, incredibly intense environment.”

“[500 Questions] is the first network game show to combine what audiences love about serialized unscripted hits with a huge game show event,” Burnett said. “It has ongoing characters and huge stakes.”

Sounds like the extreme elements of The Chamber and The Chair, with the irritating contestants from just about every primetime game show of the last decade.

Completely judging a book by its cover, it also sounds like I'll pass.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 02:42:12 PM »
Sounds like the extreme elements of The Chamber and The Chair,
I didn't pick up on that. I thought it sounded like (again, just from the title) a watered down Million Second Quiz. The testing of nerves could just be whether to bet on the next question or not.

If you're going to judge, judge by the fact that Mark Burnett is involved with a quiz show, not the article.
Travis L. Eberle

BrandonFG

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 02:58:19 PM »
It could be anything...I'm just speculating based on how I interpreted the logline. Given Million Second Quiz was more recent, it may be what they're shooting for. Reading "pressure-packed, incredibly intense environment" took me back to 2002, though.

Honestly, all three were colossal flops, so I wouldn't know why they'd want to copy any of them, but Hollywood isn't the most creative place, now is it?

/The fact that Burnett's producing isn't lost on me either
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 03:15:14 PM »
So here's a thing. Their most recent "quiz" show didn't even ask ten questions in an entire hour. Millionaire gets either ten or fifteen question in a half hour, but not more. Someone here could tell me how long it took to get through a question on MSQ (does thirty seconds sound right?) but it does sound like they're going for a big long-form event and not self-contained episodes.
Travis L. Eberle

Fedya

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 03:38:50 PM »
I want normal people, not "ongoing characters".
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

BrandonFG

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 03:45:13 PM »
I want normal people, not "ongoing characters".
Agreed 100%. Unfortunately, it looks like that ship sailed years ago.