Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Classic GS not remade  (Read 7017 times)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Classic GS not remade
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2004, 11:27:08 PM »
[quote name=\'Starkman\' date=\'Jan 7 2004, 11:13 PM\'] Sale Of the Century

Tic Tac Dough

Press Your Luck (Second Chance.)

Any others like this. [/quote]
 The original Sale of the Century lasted 5 seasons....and I'm sure many of us don't consider PYL "beloved".
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Thad Dixon

Classic GS not remade
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2004, 11:30:47 PM »
[quote name=\'Starkman\' date=\'Jan 7 2004, 11:13 PM\']Now here's one on the topic, What REMAKES became the a famous and beloved classic. With the original almost being forgotten and or short lived. I can think of 3 where this is the case...

Sale Of the Century

Tic Tac Dough

Press Your Luck (Second Chance.)

Any others like this.[/quote]
Why, yes.  There's a certain game show on CBS that premiered in Sept. 1972 with the then-host of "Truth or Consequences" at the helm;  I'd think that oughta fit your description very nicely.

Jay Temple

Classic GS not remade
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2004, 12:15:15 AM »
And a certain other one in '73 on the same network that brought back the original host and was probably considered by the censors to be a huge pain in the ___________.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2004, 12:16:00 AM by Jay Temple »
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

inturnaround

Classic GS not remade
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2004, 12:27:36 AM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' date=\'Jan 8 2004, 12:15 AM\'] And a certain other one in '73 on the same network that brought back the original host and was probably considered by the censors to be a huge pain in the ___________. [/quote]

Brett: I wrote hinder!

CNR: I said bippy! (laugh)

Fanny Flagg: Appropriately enough, I wrote fanny.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2004, 12:30:24 AM by inturnaround »
Joe Coughlin     
Human

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Classic GS not remade
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2004, 01:12:03 AM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Jan 7 2004, 09:27 PM\'] The original Sale of the Century lasted 5 seasons....and I'm sure many of us don't consider PYL "beloved". [/quote]
 Putting your own personal feelings aside, you can't deny that it was successful.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Classic GS not remade
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2004, 01:16:07 AM »
[quote name=\'Thad Dixon\' date=\'Jan 7 2004, 09:30 PM\'] Why, yes.  There's a certain game show on CBS that premiered in Sept. 1972 with the then-host of "Truth or Consequences" at the helm;  I'd think that oughta fit your description very nicely. [/quote]
 Too many changes. It'll never work.

On that same note, the same could prolly be said of Jeopardy. The only reason your average twentysomething would know who Art Fleming is is because "Weird Al" Yankovic immortalized him in song...
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Classic GS not remade
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2004, 02:01:24 AM »
Add He Said/She Said and Split Second to the list, as well as the venerable Dotto.

Break the Bank was revived in title only with a different game each time.

If Card Sharks 2001 was any indication, pray that Fremantle never gets a bee in its bonnet to revive another Goodson show.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2004, 02:02:46 AM by chris319 »

zachhoran

Classic GS not remade
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2004, 07:33:53 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Jan 8 2004, 02:01 AM\'] Add He Said/She Said and Split Second to the list, as well as the venerable Dotto.

If Card Sharks 2001 was any indication, pray that Fremantle never gets a bee in its bonnet to revive another Goodson show. [/quote]
 He Said/She Said was sort of revived as Tattletales, though the forms of questioning changed a bit from HS/SS to TT. Split Second DID indeed have a revival, as MOnty Hall hosted a Canuck-taped revival airing in 1986-87. Dotto never did get a revival, though NBC discussed reviving it in the early 80s.

Fremantle did get a bee in their bonnet to revive two game shows in 2002: one Goodson(Beat the Clock), and one non-Goodson(PYL as WHammy!)

Ian Wallis

Classic GS not remade
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2004, 09:20:00 AM »
THe longest running network or syndicated game show I can think of which never saw a revival was Bob Stewart's Eye Guess. It ran three-plus years on NBC in the 60s, but has never seen an aired revival

What about "Three on a Match"?  That ran almost three years on NBC and has never seen a revival.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

zachhoran

Classic GS not remade
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2004, 09:39:48 AM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Jan 8 2004, 09:20 AM\']

What about "Three on a Match"?  That ran almost three years on NBC and has never seen a revival. [/quote]
 There was talk of ABC reviving this in the late 70s, as per a post on Usenet several years back. The maingame's "match like items in columns" concept was sort of brought back in the 1987 Stewart pilot MOney in the Blank. The bonus round on that pilot had people using points won in the maingame to pick spaces in columns in the hopes that a three word phrase would be uncovered to win cash.

The Ol' Guy

Classic GS not remade
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2004, 10:58:15 AM »
These present an interesting question - should a few of these shows be considered "recycled" vs. remakes? Like HQ recycling the Video/Kiddio Village concept for Shenenigans? Don't want to get into a word war, but if there is only partial similarity to the original, couldn't something like it be considered "new"? Everybody recycles a good idea. If Bob Stewart learned anything from working at GT, he sure learned how to recycle a success!

And I do remember reading in a trade magazine that Barry-Enright was considering a 20 Questions revival. IIRC, Enright told me that then-employee Ron Greenberg was more for the idea than he was. Enright, who worked at WOR back in the days when 20Q was a radio show there, said he thought the format was too dull for today's audiences.

Seven Keys - with a two-player race up the game board, each trying to win keys for a single showcase of prizes - that I'd like. Have to iron out some details - but in one sense, the Joe Farrago Break The Bank with the clue screens and the electronic cards struck me as a Seven Keys clone already.

Starkman

Classic GS not remade
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2004, 11:08:32 AM »
Reason I didnt add TPIR in my list of more famous remakes is because Cullen TPIR was such an institution when it was on (9 years + James' version) Ill let the format changes go ;)

MG 7x i had on that List but that almost could be called a different game compared to the sixties version. It is a much different format (namely its players vs panel as compared to teams of celebs and civvies). But you can make an arguement for either most definatly.

Good point about Fleming J! it was that Wierd Al song that kept me from mentioning it in that post! ;)

uncamark

Classic GS not remade
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2004, 12:04:45 PM »
[quote name=\'The Ol' Guy\' date=\'Jan 8 2004, 10:58 AM\']And I do remember reading in a trade magazine that Barry-Enright was considering a 20 Questions revival. IIRC, Enright told me that then-employee Ron Greenberg was more for the idea than he was. Enright, who worked at WOR back in the days when 20Q was a radio show there, said he thought the format was too dull for today's audiences. [/quote]
And back in 1988, Disney offered a revival of "20 Questions" as a possible stablemate to "WLOD."  No one bit.

Don Howard

Classic GS not remade
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2004, 12:08:45 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Jan 8 2004, 02:01 AM\'] Add Split Second to the list [/quote]
 Split Second did come back for about nine months during the mid 1980s with your host Monty Hall.

Jimmy Owen

Classic GS not remade
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2004, 01:01:15 PM »
Isn't any show with questions, bells and buzzers a remake of "Winner Take All"?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.