Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Classic GS not remade  (Read 7016 times)

DrBear

Classic GS not remade
« on: January 07, 2004, 07:38:27 PM »
With the threads on the "hit the ground running" classics (not to be confused with Jim Peck hitting the ground) and TTTT's troubled 2K remake being Poundstoned to death, I had this question as I drifted off last night:

Of all the classic, long-running game shows (I'll say more than 2 yrs. for a reasonable run) the only one I can think of that was not remade — well, the remake never made network or syndicated air — was What's My Line?

All the others, from To Tell The Truth to Pyramid, have been remade (except for Wheel of Fortune, which is still on an extension of its original run, heaven help us). And by "remake" I mean a pause of a year or three and a new series of the show; I'm not counting WML and TTTT going immediately to syndication.

Can anyone else think of a long-running game other than WML that did not have a remake?
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

zachhoran

Classic GS not remade
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2004, 07:53:38 PM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' date=\'Jan 7 2004, 07:38 PM\']
Can anyone else think of a long-running game other than WML that did not have a remake? [/quote]
THe longest running network or syndicated game show I can think of which never saw a revival was Bob Stewart's Eye Guess. It ran three-plus years on NBC in the 60s, but has never seen an aired revival, though Stewart tried unsuccesfully in the late 70s and the late 80s to revive it. Fandango ran six years and Top Card ran for four years on TNN without getting a later revival. On PBS, Where in the World/Where in Time is Carmen Sandiego ran a combined six seasons without getting a revival since then.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2004, 08:35:44 PM by zachhoran »

gameshowguy2000

Classic GS not remade
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2004, 07:57:24 PM »
What about TattleTales? I don't think that had a remake, did it?

PeterMarshallFan

Classic GS not remade
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2004, 08:05:11 PM »
It ran three-plus years on NBC in the 60s, but has never seen an aired revival, though Stewart tried unsuccesfully in the late 70s and the late 80s to revive it. Fandango ran six years on TNN without getting a later revival.

Really? Did Bill host these pilots, or someone else?

Winkfan

Classic GS not remade
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2004, 08:19:16 PM »
What about TattleTales? I don't think that had a remake, did it?
Yes it did; from 1982-84.

Here are some other classic game shows (running two or more years) that have yet to be remade.....

Winner Take All
Stop the Music
Twenty Questions (I believe they did try to bring this one back in the mid-'70s; to no avail.)
The Name's the Same
The Big Payoff
Dollar A Second (See under Twenty Questions; only this time it was in 1981)
Two For the Money
Who Do You Trust (a.k.a. Do You Trust Your Wife)
Dough Re Mi
Video Village
Say When!!
Seven Keys
Personality
Sports Challenge
Face the Music
Bumper Stumpers

And then there are these 'cult faves' many of us would like to see come back:
The Big Showdown
Blackout
Child's Play
Double Exposure
Eye Guess
Talkabout
What's This Song?
Wipeout

Cordially,
Tammy Warner--the 'Elaine Fulkerson of the Big Board!'

P.S. Let's hope and pray that STUDS NEVER gets revived!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 03:47:27 PM by Winkfan »
"I've never stopped. I've never changed. I never did anything else."
- The Real Don Steele (1936-1997)

Jimmy Owen

Classic GS not remade
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2004, 08:23:34 PM »
[quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Jan 7 2004, 08:05 PM\']
It ran three-plus years on NBC in the 60s, but has never seen an aired revival, though Stewart tried unsuccesfully in the late 70s and the late 80s to revive it. Fandango ran six years on TNN without getting a later revival.

Really? Did Bill host these pilots, or someone else? [/quote]
 I recall reading of a proposed syndicated 90 min block of shows in the early '80's, "Eye Guess" was one of the shows, I think "Chain Reaction" and "Jackpot" were the others.  WXON in Detroit was to have aired the block if it had gotten off the ground.  Jack Clark was to have hosted one of the shows.  The late '80's attempt was to have been hosted by Henry Polic II. Back to the original question, some other long-runners that weren't revived were "Play Your Hunch," "Say When," "Personality" and "Seven Keys"
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

combsisthebest

Classic GS not remade
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2004, 08:38:47 PM »
I don't think Whew! has ever been revived.

inturnaround

Classic GS not remade
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2004, 08:57:15 PM »
[quote name=\'combsisthebest\' date=\'Jan 7 2004, 08:38 PM\'] I don't think Whew! has ever been revived. [/quote]
 Whew! could hardly be considered a "long running classic" by any competent observer.
Joe Coughlin     
Human

Matt Ottinger

Classic GS not remade
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2004, 09:04:57 PM »
I'd dispute the initial point.  Neither WML nor TTTT went *immediately* into syndication, both had breaks of a year.  The syndicated run of What's My Line? was quite distinct from the network run on many levels and would easily be described as a remake.  

Seems a little strange to make a big deal about WML? being the only show without a remake when it DID have a remake and you're just arbitrarily creating your own definition as to what qualifies.

Very interesting thread otherwise, though.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Matt Ottinger

Classic GS not remade
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2004, 09:06:13 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Jan 7 2004, 08:57 PM\'] What about TattleTales? I don't think that had a remake, did it? [/quote]
 <sigh>
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Jay Temple

Classic GS not remade
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2004, 09:58:10 PM »
[quote name=\'inturnaround\' date=\'Jan 7 2004, 07:57 PM\'] [quote name=\'combsisthebest\' date=\'Jan 7 2004, 08:38 PM\'] I don't think Whew! has ever been revived. [/quote]
Whew! could hardly be considered a "long running classic" by any competent observer. [/quote]
I assume that combsisthebest was referring the the list at the end of a post shortly before his, cult favorites that many would like to see return.  (I'd watch it.)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2004, 09:59:00 PM by Jay Temple »
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

combsisthebest

Classic GS not remade
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2004, 10:09:00 PM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' date=\'Jan 7 2004, 06:58 PM\'] [quote name=\'inturnaround\' date=\'Jan 7 2004, 07:57 PM\'] [quote name=\'combsisthebest\' date=\'Jan 7 2004, 08:38 PM\'] I don't think Whew! has ever been revived. [/quote]
Whew! could hardly be considered a "long running classic" by any competent observer. [/quote]
I assume that combsisthebest was referring the the list at the end of a post shortly before his, cult favorites that many would like to see return.  (I'd watch it.) [/quote]
 Yes I was, sorry for not being more clear.

Starkman

Classic GS not remade
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2004, 11:13:22 PM »
here's a questionable one, would you call Syndie Millionaire a remake since it aired right after the ABC version was cancelled.

Two kids classics that didnt get a remake

Fun House (unless you count the disaster that launched a thousand bad SS shows known as College Mad House, which anywho ran concurrent, not after)

Ledgends of the Hidden Temple

Given that where in time took place 3 years after the original was spun into rerun hell, I would consider it a remake of Carmen Sandiego. Feel free to argue.

Now here's one on the topic, What REMAKES became the a famous and beloved classic. With the original almost being forgotten and or short lived. I can think of 3 where this is the case...

Sale Of the Century

Tic Tac Dough

Press Your Luck (Second Chance.)

Any others like this.

calliaume

Classic GS not remade
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2004, 11:21:52 PM »
[quote name=\'Winkfan\' date=\'Jan 7 2004, 08:19 PM\'] Here are some other classic game shows (running two or more years) that have yet to be remade.....

Winner Take All
Stop the Music
Twenty Questions (I believe they did try to bring this one back in the mid-'70s; to no avail.)
The Name's the Same
The Big Payoff
Dollar A Second (See under Twenty Questions; only this time it was in 1981)
Two For the Money
Who Do You Trust (a.k.a. Do You Trust Your Wife)
Dough Re Mi
Video Village
Say When!!
Seven Keys
Personality
Sports Challenge
Face the Music
Bumper Stumpers [/quote]
 Good list.  I'd argue that Video Village came back as Shenanigans, and Face the Music didn't run much longer than some of the cult shows, but the few I immediately thought of are on here.

A couple of these would be almost impossible to bring back (you'd have to completely reformat Two for the Money, which was basically a You Bet Your Life clone), but I'm surprised nobody took a shot at Who Do You Trust?

zachhoran

Classic GS not remade
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2004, 11:26:12 PM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' date=\'Jan 7 2004, 11:21 PM\']
A couple of these would be almost impossible to bring back (you'd have to completely reformat Two for the Money, which was basically a You Bet Your Life clone), but I'm surprised nobody took a shot at Who Do You Trust? [/quote]
 The game in Two for the MOney wasn't too bad, and the scoring system sort of came back with the 1975 Big Money Password Lightning round.

A revival of WHo Do You Trust with a big name star as host(Rosie O'Donnell IIRC)was discussed around 2001, but nothing has ever come of it.