Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 30 Years Ago Today...  (Read 6688 times)

Card Shark

30 Years Ago Today...
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2004, 07:11:59 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jan 9 2004, 08:20 AM\'] and the first half of the hour long Feud. Both those shows were replaced with reruns: Hart to Hart and 3's Company IIRC. [/quote]
 Zach, I'm from Philly, and I remember watching the first episode of the Family Feud challenge and remember it being on for an hour. Did KYW start pre-empting the first half hour later in the run?
Adam Strom

zachhoran

30 Years Ago Today...
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2004, 07:29:59 PM »
[quote name=\'Card Shark\' date=\'Jan 9 2004, 07:11 PM\'] [quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jan 9 2004, 08:20 AM\'] and the first half of the hour long Feud. Both those shows were replaced with reruns: Hart to Hart and 3's Company IIRC. [/quote]
Zach, I'm from Philly, and I remember watching the first episode of the Family Feud challenge and remember it being on for an hour. Did KYW start pre-empting the first half hour later in the run? [/quote]
 WHat you are quoting involves KDKA(CBS then and now in Pittsburgh), who preempted the first half of FF CHallenge for most of its run. At that time, KYW was still NBC in Philly and WCAU was CBS in Philly(they switched in 1995). WCAU didn't preempt any CBS game shows from the late 70s-1995 as I can recall(exception being the fifth episode of the 1986 primetime TPIR run, which they preempted for an Eagles Football preview special)

Card Shark

30 Years Ago Today...
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2004, 07:37:46 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jan 9 2004, 07:29 PM\'] WHat you are quoting involves KDKA(CBS then and now in Pittsburgh), who preempted the first half of FF CHallenge for most of its run. At that time, KYW was still NBC in Philly and WCAU was CBS in Philly(they switched in 1995). WCAU didn't preempt any CBS game shows from the late 70s-1995 as I can recall(exception being the fifth episode of the 1986 primetime TPIR run, which they preempted for an Eagles Football preview special) [/quote]
 Yes, you're right. I meant WCAU. Still, to this day, when I visit my parents, I get confused about the change that has been in effect since 1995. But, WCAU didn't pre-empt the first half hour of Feud in Philly, at least not in the beginning. I specifically remember watching the first episode with a friend of mine and remember Ray stating that it was their first hour long show.
Adam Strom

zachhoran

30 Years Ago Today...
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2004, 08:03:04 PM »
[quote name=\'Card Shark\' date=\'Jan 9 2004, 07:37 PM\'] WCAU didn't pre-empt the first half hour of Feud in Philly, at least not in the beginning. [/quote]
 They always aired the whole hour of FF Challenge. When the CBS Feud ended, the syndie Feud aired from 10-11AM EST for the 1993-94 on WCAU(one new episode and one repeat episode)

That Don Guy

30 Years Ago Today...
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2004, 10:17:08 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Jan 9 2004, 02:16 PM\'] (Group W) stations ran the same syndicated fare, and they also had "PM Magazine", except on those stations, it was called "Evening Magazine" for some reason or another.
 [/quote]
Weren't "Evening Magazine" and "PM Magazine" two different shows?  I seem to recall that the KPIX version of Evening Magazine featured local personalities as the hosts (this was definitely the case when they went to Australia one time, as a local DJ went with Joe Montana to the Australian (Rules) Football training camp in Geelong.

Anyway, the only game shows that KPIX pre-empted were TPIR (through something like 1990 - the hour-long ones were pre-empted for a local morning show, then later for the Group W talk show of the moment), Gambit (at least early on - note TJW aired on KPIX from the start), and Spin-Off (I can't think why, especially as they ran not only Musical Chairs, but when Spin-Off was cancelled, they aired Give & Take from the start).

-- Don

That Don Guy

30 Years Ago Today...
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2004, 10:23:08 PM »
[quote name=\'GSWitch\' date=\'Jan 7 2004, 05:48 PM\'] GIRL:  For $200, this is my riddle.  First you make the sale, then you open the drawer.  What am I?
GUY:  A hooker?
GIRL:  A cash register, you LOUSE!
 [/quote]
 I think the classic moment from the NBC era was:

Q: I'm an Egyptian's favorite game show.  What am I?
A: Well, for a Jew, it's "Jeopardy!"
(Geoff has a hysteria fit, as does half the audience)
This resulted in one of the "unwritten bonus prizes" being given to the answerer; a round-trip ticket somewhere (I think it was to see her parents; she had mentioned it earlier in the week).

(This wasn't the only show to do this; I think the Cullen $25,000 Pyramid had an "unwritten" $1000 bonus (I think Cullen called it an Emmy for whatever reason) for a similar event that happened during gameplay.)

-- Don

zachhoran

30 Years Ago Today...
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2004, 10:57:41 PM »
[quote name=\'That Don Guy\' date=\'Jan 9 2004, 10:23 PM\']
I think the classic moment from the NBC era was:

Q: I'm an Egyptian's favorite game show.  What am I?
A: Well, for a Jew, it's "Jeopardy!"
(Geoff has a hysteria fit, as does half the audience)
This resulted in one of the "unwritten bonus prizes" being given to the answerer; a round-trip ticket somewhere (I think it was to see her parents; she had mentioned it earlier in the week).

(This wasn't the only show to do this; I think the Cullen $25,000 Pyramid had an "unwritten" $1000 bonus (I think Cullen called it an Emmy for whatever reason) for a similar event that happened during gameplay.)

-- Don [/quote]
 Bob Stewart had another unwritten rule in the 80s Pyramid: A contestant who was not a returning champion who played and lost two perfect 21-21 maingames won a trip or prize. The show also gave a trip to a man in the service, out of the goodness of their heart(Bob Stewart's heart is arguably not big)

trainman

30 Years Ago Today...
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2004, 11:12:54 PM »
[quote name=\'That Don Guy\' date=\'Jan 9 2004, 07:17 PM\'] Weren't "Evening Magazine" and "PM Magazine" two different shows?  I seem to recall that the KPIX version of Evening Magazine featured local personalities as the hosts (this was definitely the case when they went to Australia one time, as a local DJ went with Joe Montana to the Australian (Rules) Football training camp in Geelong. [/quote]
 "PM Magazine" was the nationally syndicated title for the "Evening Magazine" concept.  (I guess the different title gave the non-Group W stations slightly more latitude in when they wanted to schedule it...why, it could be anytime between noon and midnight!  Hee hee.)

Anyway, as far as I know, there were local hosts on every "Evening Magazine"/"PM Magazine" station; some of the pieces would be shared nationally, but others were local-only.
trainman is a man of trains

ChuckNet

30 Years Ago Today...
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2004, 01:25:42 AM »
Anyway, as far as I know, there were local hosts on every "Evening Magazine"/"PM Magazine" station; some of the pieces would be shared nationally, but others were local-only.

And one of the local hosts in the mid-80s was a guy you might have heard of...I think his name was Jim Caldwell. :-)

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

GSWitch

30 Years Ago Today...
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2004, 01:03:30 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jan 9 2004, 09:57 PM\'] Bob Stewart had another unwritten rule in the 80s Pyramid: A contestant who was not a returning champion who played and lost two perfect 21-21 maingames won a trip or prize. The show also gave a trip to a man in the service, out of the goodness of their heart(Bob Stewart's heart is arguably not big) [/quote]
 On a 1977 or 1978 $20,000 Pyramid episode, Nipsey Russell (female player) & Sandy Duncan (male player) battled it out to a 43-42 score!

Before starting the next game, Dick Clark inofrmed everyone that Bob Stewart will give the male player $200 for that longevity game!

BrandonFG

30 Years Ago Today...
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2004, 01:16:11 PM »
[quote name=\'GSWitch\' date=\'Jan 10 2004, 01:03 PM\'] [quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jan 9 2004, 09:57 PM\'] Bob Stewart had another unwritten rule in the 80s Pyramid: A contestant who was not a returning champion who played and lost two perfect 21-21 maingames won a trip or prize. The show also gave a trip to a man in the service, out of the goodness of their heart(Bob Stewart's heart is arguably not big) [/quote]
On a 1977 or 1978 $20,000 Pyramid episode, Nipsey Russell (female player) & Sandy Duncan (male player) battled it out to a 43-42 score!

Before starting the next game, Dick Clark inofrmed everyone that Bob Stewart will give the male player $200 for that longevity game! [/quote]
 And that was probably the first and last time Bob Stewart ever gave out money when he didn't need to. :-)
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
30 Years Ago Today...
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2004, 01:37:40 PM »
[quote name=\'GSWitch\' date=\'Jan 10 2004, 01:03 PM\'] [quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jan 9 2004, 09:57 PM\'] Bob Stewart had another unwritten rule in the 80s Pyramid: A contestant who was not a returning champion who played and lost two perfect 21-21 maingames won a trip or prize. The show also gave a trip to a man in the service, out of the goodness of their heart(Bob Stewart's heart is arguably not big) [/quote]

Before starting the next game, Dick Clark inofrmed everyone that Bob Stewart will give the male player $200 for that longevity game! [/quote]
 $200.  How generous. *roll eyes*
--Mark
Phil 4:13

urbanpreppie05

30 Years Ago Today...
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2004, 11:24:55 PM »
"PM Magazine" was the nationally syndicated title for the "Evening Magazine" concept. (I guess the different title gave the non-Group W stations slightly more latitude in when they wanted to schedule it...why, it could be anytime between noon and midnight! Hee hee.)

In Cleveland, it was scheduled at 7:00 or 7:30 PM on then CBS affiliate, WJW-8. I'm probably one of the 6 people that miss this show.

Yep. Wasn't Mr. Food a part of this? \

There were two hosts here-one was the sickeningly sweet Jan Jones, does anyone know the other?
insert signature here

Don Howard

30 Years Ago Today...
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2004, 12:13:00 AM »
[quote name=\'urbanpreppie05\' date=\'Jan 11 2004, 11:24 PM\'] There were two hosts here-one was the sickeningly sweet Jan Jones, does anyone know the other? [/quote]
When Jan was the co-host, I think Michael Stanley was the male half of the hosting pair. Jan has a game show connection, by the way. She co-hosted The Ohio Lottery Show with Don Webster after Barney Tremblay departed.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2004, 12:13:14 AM by Don Howard »

rugrats1

30 Years Ago Today...
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2004, 12:26:41 AM »
I guess the [PM Magazine] title gave the non-Group W stations slightly more latitude in when they wanted to schedule it...why, it could be anytime between noon and midnight! Hee hee.

In the Tampa Bay area, PM Magazine was seen from 1980 to sometime in the mid-1980s on WTOG ch.44 (WTSP ch.10 picked it up afterwards and carried it to sometile in the late 1980s). Both 10 and 44 carried the show during the 7PM hour.

But near PM's end of its ch.44 run, the station scheduled PM at 12 Midnight, when it's technically "AM".

Wasn't Mr. Food a part of this?

No, but Chef Tell was.