Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Aussie "WOF" News  (Read 1888 times)

J.R.

Aussie "WOF" News
« on: January 07, 2004, 05:01:49 PM »
This news comes from my friend in Australia

After about roughly 7 years as host, Rob Elliott has been fired as host of "Wheel of Fortune" in Australia. In his place will be someone decribed as "Younger and Fresher"

Also, for the new host. The set will be updated and the most radical of the changes include a Electronic Puzzleboard.

This is really not good news, Elliott was well liked in Australia and WOF (Now in is 23rd year on the air there) is currently having to share a timeslot with "The Price is Right".

Ironicly, a bad host change is how Elliott became host. John Burgess was fired in simular fashion in 1995 to make way for ex-$otC host Tony Barber to take over. One year later and primarly due to bad format changes Tony himself was fired and gave a very bitter "appoligy" followed by introducing Elliott in the 1996 season premiere

We'll see how it turns out.
-Joe R.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2004, 05:05:49 PM by JRaygor »
-Joe Raygor

ChuckNet

Aussie "WOF" News
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2004, 07:09:02 PM »
I heard about the upcoming changes, as well...personally, I think if this new host can do a good job and the show's spared the major rule changes that caused Barber's downfall, WoF may continue to hold its own in the ratings race w/TPiR.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

curtking

Aussie "WOF" News
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2004, 07:11:44 PM »
and the show's spared the major rule changes that caused Barber's downfall

Just curious, but what rule changes?

Curt

CherryPizza

Aussie "WOF" News
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2004, 06:11:58 PM »
Firstly, I must apologise for posting on this subject when somebody else had already started a thread about it.

Anyway, one comment that should be clarified is

This is really not good news, Elliott was well liked in Australia and WOF (Now in is 23rd year on the air there) is currently having to share a timeslot with "The Price is Right".

Elliott was appreciated for what he did coming in at a time when the show's future was very uncertain, but he has become increasingly blase and disinterested as the years have passed. This time around, as innappropriate as it may be to fire somebody without giving him the chance to say goodbye, I don't see it causing the same amount of hoopla that John Burgess' sacking caused.

Btw, just to clarify... the new show w/ the new host will not run against TPiR. WoF has been moved from 5.3opm to 5pm. The 5.30pm slot will be filled with a half-hour version of Deal or No Deal, a program that, last year, began as an hour-long weekly show.

News about this has been posted on my Australian Game Shows website, and I will post more as it becomes available. I'll be going to a taping of the show soon to see how the new show looks. I'll be sure to report on it for you