Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Tinker In Television"  (Read 3548 times)

The Pyramids

"Tinker In Television"
« on: August 31, 2014, 05:30:28 PM »
Has anyone ever read Grant Tinker's autobiography? I am reading it this weekend. For those who have read it move on, but for those who have not you may like this part as did I.

On June 09, 1981, Tinker had just returned to his office at MTM having just accepted the offer to come back and run NBC. Betty White called to say that Allen had died a few minutes ago. She asked him to gather a few friends together to speak at the service. Tinker recruited Burt Reynolds, Dick Martin, Mark Goodson, Gene Rayburn, Tom Kennedy & himself to speak at the funeral.

Matt Ottinger

Re: "Tinker In Television"
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 09:37:47 PM »
Nice little story.  Pardon me if this seems clueless, but what connection did Burt Reynolds have to Allen Ludden?
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

JakeT

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 11:30:08 PM »
Nice little story.  Pardon me if this seems clueless, but what connection did Burt Reynolds have to Allen Ludden?

Just a guess but wasn't Burt Reynolds part of a circle of friends who loved to get together and play games, which eventually led to the development of WIN, LOSE OR DRAW and Burt & Bert Productions?  Maybe they were all part of that same game group?  Again, just a guess...

JakeT

Adam Nedeff

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 12:58:31 AM »
During my book research, I stumbled upon a newspaper article mentioning that Allen and Burt were collaborating on an idea for a new game show. I can't find it now, but my recollection was that it was some time in the waning days of "Password (All-Stars)".

calliaume

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 03:03:40 PM »
During my book research, I stumbled upon a newspaper article mentioning that Allen and Burt were collaborating on an idea for a new game show. I can't find it now, but my recollection was that it was some time in the waning days of "Password (All-Stars)".
I think Betty's book Here We Go Again alluded to this; apparently they did form some sort of informal production company for this purpose.

Betty also mentions in that book Just Men! had a quick exit from NBC because Tinker hated it.

Jamey Greek

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 09:49:09 PM »
Betty also stated in her autobiography that Allen Ludden and Grant Tinker had a production company to produce game shows called EllTee productions.