Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "To Tell The Truth" coming back?!  (Read 12975 times)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Re: "To Tell The Truth" coming back?!
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2014, 12:20:17 PM »
Maybe the celebrity panel still does the interrogating--and guessing, but for fun--but civilians guess for their own prize money and to determine what the impostors get. If they're right, they get to keep playing and multiplying their money.
That would certainly make sense and not make a total travesty of the proceedings but now you've confused the audience: are you rooting for the contestant to get it right so he can move up from $10,000 to $25,000; or do you root for the impostors because they're trying to fool everyone?
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2014, 01:27:41 PM »
That would certainly make sense and not make a total travesty of the proceedings

You don't think adding a money ladder to TTTT would make a total travesty of the proceedings?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2014, 01:36:14 PM »
I got crossed up in there; I read his reply but didn't perceive it. Yay, the panel plays "for fun," BOO to just about everything else. I think I carried forward the idea of $1,000 per incorrect vote as making sense and not being out-and-out-stupid, without internalizing that no one cares about $1,000 if the contestant is on $125,000 and going for $250,000.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 01:38:17 PM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2014, 02:10:47 PM »
Maybe "multiplying" is the wrong word for him to use, and "increasing" makes more sense.  But I'm a fan of asymmetry, so let's play with this, just for funsies.

The subject of the story is playing for cash, and the imposters are playing to become a civilian voter.  Not a big panel, maybe three people, and they cast a group vote, and split any money not won by the subject.  When the civilian group votes wrong, one of them is replaced by the successful imposter.  The "eldest" civilian in terms of  time on the show is always the captain, and always settles any ties, but is also the one who leaves when the vote goes wrong.  This means that each civilian stays on for three incorrect guesses.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2014, 02:42:38 PM »
The "eldest" civilian in terms of  time on the show is always the captain, and always settles any ties, but is also the one who leaves when the vote goes wrong.  This means that each civilian stays on for three incorrect guesses.

I am entertained by the potential dynamic of the two lesser voters deciding the captain is an asshat and intentionally finding an impostor in order to eject him. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2014, 06:03:30 PM »
There will always be evil inherent in any game system I write.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

Neumms

« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2014, 06:34:48 PM »
I am entertained by the potential dynamic of the two lesser voters deciding the captain is an asshat and intentionally finding an impostor in order to eject him. :)

Seems like that was the reason for the Terminator on Greed--to get rid of an asshat captain--but wasn't used that way very often.

As far as the team of guessers for TTTT, I don't think you need the group thing. Three or four people sit in front of the studio audience. Each one guesses. If he's right, he wins $5000, which doubles each time he's right. With three games in a prime time hour, it's a $20,000 grand prize--nice, not too wild.

Each impostor wins $5000 per wrong vote, or the team splits it. With only three civilian guessers, the celebrities' guesses could be tallied and combined into a single fourth vote. (A 2-2 tie could count as two half-votes.)

Who knows what the producers are thinking, but this is one way to add stakes and possibly add an interesting wrinkle without wrecking the game. It's basically the point of the $25,000 on Hollywood Game Night--enough to give the show a climax, not so much that it becomes too serious.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2014, 07:12:41 PM »
The reason for the Terminator was to add conflict, tension, drama and risk as well. I suppose on reflection this rates higher than your fixes for High Rollers.
Travis L. Eberle

calliaume

« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2014, 04:25:54 PM »
Late to the party, but it occurred to me today that maybe the new twist is something else.  Since they're pitching it for a network run rather than syndication, perhaps the home audience also votes via text.  For example, the three contestants are questioned, but rather than going right to the voting after the questioning ends, they go to commercial and indicate what number to text for your choice. After commercial, the panel reveals their votes, and the percentage breakdown of the home audience is superimposed on the screen.

It's a theory; I have a lot of those.