Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: June 2-6: Price Is Right "Socially Awesome Week"  (Read 12424 times)

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
June 2-6: Price Is Right "Socially Awesome Week"
« on: May 28, 2014, 01:52:58 PM »
http://www.buzzerblog.com/2014/05/28/cbs-announces-the-price-is-rights-socially-awesome-week/

A week of episodes chock-full of social media elements. Personally, I'm looking forward to Wednesday's second-screen broadcast the most.

The Price institution was pretty damn old and creaky, and I think events like this do a wonderful job of adding some color to the place.
Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Re: June 2-6: Price Is Right "Socially Awesome Week"
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 01:54:20 PM »
I sense that the Friday episode could be a gauntlet of fail if the producers don't have a firm grip on the emergency brake. The rest of the week sounds relatively harmless.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 01:57:00 PM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 02:04:44 PM »
After all the doom and gloom that surrounded the rumored changes following Roger's departure, I think Mr. Richards and Co. have done a damn fine job making the show more fun while keeping its core intact. The past few seasons especially seem to click a lot more than Drew and Mike's first few seasons.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 02:23:19 PM »
On behalf of the internet I apologize that CarShark has made his way to your merry forum.

I hope this doesn't become a thing where you post every article contributed to the site, but top marks go to the list of game shows to watch while stoned. I don't partake but my goodness that was an amusing piece. It is nice to see that some people can enjoy our hobby with a bit of levity.
Travis L. Eberle

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 02:37:58 PM »
I sense that the Friday episode could be a gauntlet of fail if the producers don't have a firm grip on the emergency brake. The rest of the week sounds relatively harmless.
Let's Make a Deal had at least one episode where the Twitterverse contributed to decisions and zonks.  That show was pretty good, and I'm not a huge fan of LMaD.

I don't see why the emergency brake would be necessary.  It's not like the powers that be or the fans would do 6 playings of Plinko again in the near future, would they?

/6 playings of Rat Race with Banoodles doing a header into my big screen, and yours truly capturing it on the iPad, FTW.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 03:04:44 PM »
I look at the internet the way I look at four-year-olds: if you don't give them choices and/or boundaries they'll do silly or absurd things. (Having seen @midnight I absolutely believe that a contingent would vote for all-Plinko just for the potential lulz.) What I meant was that I hope the producers assemble the template for the episode and give the internet the option of which of two cash games to play, or what quick game they want to see, or what choice of trip to give away. That sort of thing.
Travis L. Eberle

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2014, 04:35:14 PM »

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2014, 04:39:32 PM »
There's one in there that's very interesting: if there's a dollar spin should the forthcoming bonus spin have the 5 and 15 increased to twenty grand or the dollar to 35k.
Travis L. Eberle

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2014, 05:15:36 PM »
There's one in there that's very interesting: if there's a dollar spin should the forthcoming bonus spin have the 5 and 15 increased to twenty grand or the dollar to 35k.

#TPIR35K is a voting option for both the first Showcase Showdown poll and the second Showcase Showdown poll. I'm not expertly versed in Twitter -- I hope there was a way to determine which vote was for which.

(The control room is much more interesting than the green room, so I hope the voters chose that for the closed captioning bumper.)

Neumms

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2014, 03:44:02 AM »
The Twitter questions are harmless to a fault. They could have had more this pricing game or that questions, and maybe assembled a showcase that warm almost like the "Do-It-Yourself" showcase from yesteryear but without blind luck.

A more amusing idea would have been "Socially Awkward Week."

SamJ93

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2014, 07:00:50 AM »
A more amusing idea would have been "Socially Awkward Week."

An entire audience of golden-road.net posters?

(I post there too...All in good fun...)
It's a well-known fact that Lincoln loved mayonnaise!

Thunder

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2014, 08:46:52 PM »
#TPIR35K is a voting option for both the first Showcase Showdown poll and the second Showcase Showdown poll. I'm not expertly versed in Twitter -- I hope there was a way to determine which vote was for which.

Not really. A hashtag is just a hashtag. There's nothing saying that these "decisions" weren't already made in advance.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2014, 08:50:46 PM »
Episode one was OK, other'n Drew and Co. doing a dance to a chorus from Rockin' Robin during a one-bid, nothing out of the ordinary.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 08:57:26 PM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2014, 01:43:29 AM »

(The control room is much more interesting than the green room, so I hope the voters chose that for the closed captioning bumper.)
They probably logged the "votes" as they happened. So they'd take down the votes for #TPIR35K at one point when they asked one question, and then take them down again 10 minutes later when they'd ask another.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2014, 12:51:14 PM »
There's nothing saying that these "decisions" weren't already made in advance.

Sure, but since any of them could be easily implemented in the show (and the voting cutoff was far enough ahead of the tape date that they'd have time to do so), I'd like to be more trusting.

My Luddite self figured out how to view the direct replies to a tweet, so assuming that's how they differentiated between the two #TPIR35K options, it's easy enough to count. And since fewer than 20 people voted on each question (except for Look of the Week, which received 30 votes), I just tallied the results myself, which will make it easy to tell whether the voting was legitimate.

(It turns out that shooting the first closed captioning bumper in the control room was the only unanimous decision.)