Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: PLUG: Game Show T-shirts and Prints on RedBubble  (Read 9188 times)

Adam Nedeff

Re: PLUG: Game Show T-shirts and Prints on RedBubble
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2014, 04:12:32 PM »
How is this legal?

Assuming these trademarks have been maintained by their original owners, with the exception of the Wink / Dragon shirt (who I would think went through the proper channels to license the image from Sony, though I have to say I wouldn't be totally surprised if they didn't, considering some of the business minds involved), it isn't. (And the (awesome) Trap shirt is in a position to be smacked down by both Fremantle *and* Disney.) It's one of those things where either a) nobody's noticed or b) nobody cares enough to complain about it.

GIMME A B! B! B!

Seriously, though, without naming a name, I had a conversation with a knowledgeable (but anonymous) friend who basically laid it out for me this way: We live in a world FULL of do-it-yourself content; homemade shirt designs, YouTube videos, etc., and there's more than ever for a corporate legal department to keep track of. As a result, 99 times out of a hundred, the legal department is looking for "Is it taking money away from us?" and "Is it actively causing harm to our brand?" If the answer to both questions is "no," they probably won't touch you. That doesn't mean I consider myself in the right, and you have my solemn vow that if the C&D letter arrives tomorrow, I won't say one word of complaint. And to make myself feel better before the upload, I did a RedBubble search for "Ackbar" and "It's a trap." Even though that doesn't justify anything, I think you'd be surprised at the readily available results.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2014, 04:34:41 PM »
That doesn't mean I consider myself in the right, and you have my solemn vow that if the C&D letter arrives tomorrow, I won't say one word of complaint.

See, you get it, and I salute you. Amazing how people who create content don't fall into (or do fall out of) the "content is free because I can find it" mentality.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Adam Nedeff

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2014, 04:48:09 PM »
Thank you. And, hey, look, two new designs!

pacdude

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2014, 05:07:26 PM »
Concur. Once someone says "take that down," then it's down, whatever.

Adam Nedeff

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2014, 04:52:27 AM »
So earlier this week, I attempted to fill a gap in the game show geek community by creating game show t-shirts through RedBubble.com. The site received copyright complaints about three of my designs (one I'm calling BS on, the others I won't argue with). And a wise man told me that it's probably not a good idea to have the same lawyer contact you more than once. Besides that, it dawned on me far later than it should have that if I'm getting into using public figures' images without permission, I might be jeopardizing relationships that may be of value if I keep writing books. And you folks seem to like my books so far, so I don't want to screw that up.

Soooooooo, I've closed up shop, but I really hate the idea of letting these designs go to waste because I am kind of proud of what I was able to whip up. I've made a public Facebook album of the designs I was going to offer.  should also note that they would make tremendous phone cases and posters. If you want the super hi-res TIFF files for making your own t-shirts and other stuff for free, send me a private message and I'll hook you up. No charge, seriously!

Thunder

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2014, 12:20:02 PM »
The only prairie dogs I've ever been able to shoot are the ones that pop the heads up out of the ground.

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2014, 09:00:56 PM »
Adam, I sent you a PM. I managed to buy one of the shirts before they went bye-bye, and had it sent to me last night, and it doesn't look bad at all. Fits nicely, too!

Thanks again!

Adam Nedeff

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2014, 04:18:33 AM »
You're welcome!

And it gives me a nice opening to announce I'm doing this the ethical way now. Mrs. Cullen knows what I'm doing and she thinks it's dandy.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2014, 05:30:09 AM »
Cool, Adam.  But Bill's eyes were brilliant blue.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.