Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Cedric Doesn't Want to Be a Millionaire Host  (Read 17895 times)

TimK2003

Re: Cedric Doesn't Want to Be a Millionaire Host
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2014, 01:47:00 PM »
Cedric got canned, plain and simple, and both he and the show put a "positive spin" on the development by describing the split as amicable.

JD   

Do you know this for sure? Regardless of whether Cedric quit or was canned, if I were the producer, I'd be calling Al Roker and Tom Bergeron, who both live on the East Coast, and try to lure one of them for the job.

Bergeron would get my vote as the new host of Millionaire:  The show's new home would practically be in his back yard, he has a great long-term relationship with Disney, and he would easily double the current ratings just on name recognition alone.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2014, 01:47:56 PM »
and he would easily double the current ratings just on name recognition alone.
I very doubt that this is the case.
Travis L. Eberle

Johnissoevil

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2014, 03:17:44 PM »
Whether we like it or not, the days when game show hosts who didn't go way over the top got the nod to host a show are over.  Enjoy Pat and Alex while they're still there, because their replacements will most likely be the next Steve Harvey.  Well, save for Drew Carey.  Say what you will about his hosting, but at least he isn't making penis jokes about every other pricing game.
In loving memory of my father, Curtis Fenner 4/29/44-8/13/15

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2014, 03:28:30 PM »
Enjoy Pat and Alex while they're still there, because their replacements will most likely be the next Steve Harvey. 

Very interesting that neither Pat nor Alex got Emmy nominations today, while three of the four nominees (including Steve Harvey) were comedians hosting game shows.  Even the organization that purports to recognize excellence in the industry sees where the future is going.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

tvwxman

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2014, 08:11:22 AM »
The whole idea that it shouldn't matter the location is particularly misleading too. Not very many planes serve Connecticut from California, so that is problem one.
Incorrect. If you're living in Fairfield County CT, which is where 90% of the money (and TV/Film Production) is , you're flying out of Westchester, on a private plane, and you're off to CA. Otherwise, you're going to LaGuardia or JFK, which is also...not a problem.

Spoken like someone who lives here.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

BrandonFG

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2014, 09:59:46 AM »
How far of a drive is it from Fairfield to NY?

/On a "good day"
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2014, 02:18:10 PM »

/On a "good day"

The most direct way from me is to take I 95.

Horrendously congested in the rush hours.

Which is why I see Cedric's point. Like I said, I don't know when he was required to be in studio but the production day is quite long. And it starts early, like before 7 am. So it wouldn't surprise me if there's a lot of production staff turnover too.

Keep in mind I'm very limited as to my knowledge of the highways in CT though. 95, 91, and 84's about it. Matt S. probably knows of other ways. So while I do concede he has better perspective being there, I also can see why it might be a hassle.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

tvwxman

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2014, 03:03:13 PM »

/On a "good day"
It's the first stop on the Metro North Express - and that takes 50 minutes. 40 if you're driving , and there's no traffic. On a regular day, 3 hours. :)

The point is, to think that this move to the suburbs is too much for a 'star' to get to gig  - is ludicrous. Plenty , and I mean, PLENTY of celebs live in F'field Cty and work daily in the city.

That's not why he's not coming back.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

PYLdude

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2014, 09:32:59 PM »
Why is it so hard to believe that it's possible that he bit off a lot more than he could chew?

I'd think if it really was a termination, the announcement would've come a lot sooner- like right after production wrapped.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2014, 09:42:50 PM »
I'd think if it really was a termination, the announcement would've come a lot sooner- like right after production wrapped.

Why would you do something like that when his shows were still airing? If I'm the production, the last thing I want to do is call out that there's a dead man walking in my current product.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

PYLdude

« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2014, 09:49:18 PM »

Why would you do something like that when his shows were still airing? If I'm the production, the last thing I want to do is call out that there's a dead man walking in my current product.

Millionaire's still in first run now, no? And wasn't Meredith's departure announced right after production wrapped?

I understand what you're saying but if this really was Cedric getting fired instead of him just leaving, IMO they wouldn't have waited until now to release the news. It would've happened earlier.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2014, 09:53:46 PM »
IMO they wouldn't have waited until now to release the news. It would've happened earlier.

That is indeed YO. I think I'll come down on the side of the guy who actually works in the industry.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

colonial

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2014, 10:45:45 PM »
Looking over the language of Cedric's statement as to why he's leaving the show, I still stand by my thinking that Cedric's "decision" wasn't truly his.   Moving the show an hour away from NYC shouldn't cause such a disruption in his schedule, especially with a show that only tapes 3-4 months out of the year -- there would still be time for him to do acting, comedy shows, etc. 

I could see the show essentially "asking" Cedric to take a pay cut for next season.  He balked, and now he's gone.  These situations happen all the time in business -- recently happened at my former employer (50 employees canned as of June, but most may be hired back at reduced salaries).

If he has been tapped as the new host, Terry Crews will likely be paid less than Cedric.  He has a home in Connecticut, so the show saves on housing (and probably transportation) costs.  The bean counters at WWTBAM will be quite pleased with that.

I wonder if the show may offer bus trips from NYC for audience members to attend tapings.  Some of the CT-based talk shows do that (Povich, Springer), and it might be worth an effort to at least try that.

JD

PYLdude

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2014, 10:53:08 PM »
I'm not denying that you guys have points, but I at the same time would like some proof. That's all.

And I really don't see why things just can't be black and white sometimes. Gray areas don't always exist.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2014, 10:56:36 PM »
You also don't seem to have any proof, either. Sometimes gray areas don't exist except when they do.
Travis L. Eberle