Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Crackle Getting Sports Jeopardy! with Dan Patrick  (Read 23777 times)

Mr. Armadillo

Re: Crackle Getting Sports Jeopardy! with Dan Patrick
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2014, 09:22:51 AM »
Even still, why would you give up $5,000 (or $4,000) that you've already got locked up for a tourney slot when you presumably won't know how much you even need to get in?
The same reason anybody would ever give up any sure thing to see what's behind Curtain #2.

Plus, if you're good enough to rack up a runaway in Sports Jeopardy!, there's good reason to believe you'll have a better-than-average chance to get the Sports Final! right, or at least you'll have an idea once you know whether the category is in your wheelhouse.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2014, 05:09:18 PM »
I just find those choices peculiar. Why not allow carryover champions, and have the nine top scorers return? Or have it as a full-fledged tournament.
Travis L. Eberle

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2014, 01:22:52 AM »
I just find those choices peculiar. Why not allow carryover champions, and have the nine top scorers return? Or have it as a full-fledged tournament.

Because it's a weekly series, for the first question.

I would assume they want to give as many people as they can an opportunity to qualify. I think it's strange to have a three man end of season tourney but I can see the point as well.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

PYLdude

« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2014, 02:39:04 AM »
My question would be where will this originate from and does DP want to add a lengthy commute to his current duties. Of course this was already decided and he weighed the idea before accepting. And Jeopardy and its spinoffs have taken place in Culver City since the '90s. But he's based in Connecticut, does his show live from Connecticut, and doesn't travel much further than NYC for the most part these days (except when necessary). And there's been the recent trend of having shows (Springer, Maury, Steve Wilkos, syndie DOND, Millionaire) moving production to Connecticut...not saying that means anything but it wouldn't surprise me to see the show be produced on the east coast.

(Wasn't the IBM challenge filmed in New York? I figure that set built for it might still be there somewhere)

I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2014, 02:46:23 AM »
My question would be where will this originate from and does DP want to add a lengthy commute to his current duties.

What's going to be interesting is topicality, because they could conceivably knock out 52 episodes in two weeks of taping, but for a sports show if they completely ignore current events in the name of doing that it's gonna get stale really fast.

Considering how many other shows are setting up shop in CT, and that this is a web series and therefore probably not shooting on a big-league-J! budget, it would not surprise me if they did build a set there.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

PYLdude

« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2014, 02:53:03 AM »
My question would be where will this originate from and does DP want to add a lengthy commute to his current duties.

What's going to be interesting is topicality, because they could conceivably knock out 52 episodes in two weeks of taping, but for a sports show if they completely ignore current events in the name of doing that it's gonna get stale really fast.

If the samples were any indication, I don't think they're gonna strictly focus on historical data- but that's just blindassed speculation.

Although just the same I wouldn't be surprised that they'd try and squeeze the episodes into as short a frame as they can. Because of the commitments Dan has at NBC. Which leads me even more down the path of the idea of an east coast origin.

colonial

« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2014, 11:08:53 PM »
Another possibility in regards to taping is film the 50 "preliminary games" over a two-week period in August in Culver City (five games per tape day).  Dan could take a two-week "vacation" from his radio show (or do it at his Los Angeles affiliate) during this time, and it gets the episodes down ahead of the first "Football Night in America" telecast.

Following the Super Bowl (I believe NBC has the SB next season), film the two-episode championship in February.

JD

clemon79

« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2014, 11:16:09 PM »
Another possibility in regards to taping is film the 50 "preliminary games" over a two-week period in August in Culver City (five games per tape day).

Lord, I hope not. Missing out on an entire NFL season and MLB postseason worth of possible topical content? That's gonna be laaa-aame.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2014, 11:56:02 PM »
I don't think Million Pound Drop levels of questioning is feasible, but there has to be a middle ground.
Travis L. Eberle

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2014, 04:39:57 AM »

Considering how many other shows are setting up shop in CT, and that this is a web series and therefore probably not shooting on a big-league-J! budget, it would not surprise me if they did build a set there.

They could stage it on the old Million Second Quiz set in NYC.  That won't be getting any use this fall.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2014, 12:13:52 PM »
I don't think Million Pound Drop levels of questioning is feasible, but there has to be a middle ground.
I don't see how they can't maintain J's level of newishness. Plus I can't imagine it'll be all bookkeeping trivia
This signature is currently under construction.

stuincalif

« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2014, 12:28:56 PM »
http://www.sportsjeopardytickets.com

Tapings supposedly will be on weekends beginning in August.

clemon79

« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2014, 12:43:30 PM »
And, more interestingly, taping out of LA. Guess Dan's gonna be commuting a little.

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2014, 01:18:59 PM »
Where does it say it will be taping outside of L.A.? It doesn't say that anywhere.

chad1m

« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2014, 01:24:59 PM »
Where does it say it will be taping outside of L.A.?
Taping "out of" L.A. Meaning "from." As in, "I'm sending this electronic message out of my house to tell you to try to please comprehend better."