Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Shows in Boston  (Read 6126 times)

Track Man 876

Game Shows in Boston
« on: January 02, 2004, 02:36:33 AM »
Can anyone think of some network game shows that were not shown at their respective timeslots or channel in Boston during the 80's and early 90's, or some that were not shown at all?  Also, can anyone think of some syndicated game shows during the same time period and what channel and time they aired in Boston?  Thanks in advance.

KrisW73

Game Shows in Boston
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2004, 09:12:16 AM »
Can anyone think of some network game shows that were not shown at their respective timeslots or channel in Boston during the 80's and early 90's, or some that were not shown at all? Also, can anyone think of some syndicated game shows during the same time period and what channel and time they aired in Boston? Thanks in advance.

Card Sharks '78 was picked up by WLVI I believe early 1980 because of the move to the noon slot.  Card Sharks '86 was picked up by WQTV for a short part of the run until it was replaced by religious programming.

aaron sica

Game Shows in Boston
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2004, 12:53:02 PM »
[quote name=\'Track Man 876\' date=\'Jan 2 2004, 02:36 AM\'] Can anyone think of some network game shows that were not shown at their respective timeslots or channel in Boston during the 80's and early 90's, or some that were not shown at all?  Also, can anyone think of some syndicated game shows during the same time period and what channel and time they aired in Boston?  Thanks in advance. [/quote]
 I believe Channel 27 (I think it was independent in 1990, it's now a Spanish-language affiliate) carried MG90 for a time...

Skynet74

Game Shows in Boston
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2004, 01:16:52 PM »
[quote name=\'Track Man 876\' date=\'Jan 2 2004, 02:36 AM\'] Can anyone think of some network game shows that were not shown at their respective timeslots or channel in Boston during the 80's and early 90's, or some that were not shown at all?  Also, can anyone think of some syndicated game shows during the same time period and what channel and time they aired in Boston?  Thanks in advance. [/quote]

Noon programs on NBC were never showed in Boston since WBZ aired News. So that means No "Hot Potato", No "Super Password" etc.... Channel 25 showed Bullseye at 1:00 or 1:30 each afternoon. You Bet your Life with Buddy Hackett was also shown in early afternoons on WSBK Channel 38. The All New Dating Game with Geoff McGregor aired on WLVI 56 at 11:00 PM in 1987. The 1986 Elaine Joyce version never aired in Boston. The Joker's Wild was on WNAC Channel 7 (Now WHDH) each afternoon at 5PM during much of it's run. The New Hollywood Squares with John Davisdon was aired on WFXT FOX 25 in an early afternoon slot during the late 80's. Bert Convy's Win Lose or Draw was aired on WBZ at either 4 or 4:30 in the afternoon. I don't remember Wink Martindale's Tic Tac Dough being on in  Boston at all. Boston may be one of the big cities that did not air the program on a big affiliate. A much smaller station may have picked up the show. Ross Schafer's Match Game was on Independent Channel 27 at Noon since the ABC affiliate chose not to air it. The 1980 versions of Pitfall and Let's Make A Deal were also on Channel 27. A really cool station when it came to picking up assorted programs. That's all I can think of right now. I have to go eat lunch. :-)

John

KrisW73

Game Shows in Boston
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2004, 02:03:25 PM »
I might be wrong, but didn't HP and SP get picked up by channel 68?

TTD was on Channel 7 for spell...10am for some reason sticks in my head because when I was a kid that was one of the "required" watches when I was home sick...
« Last Edit: January 02, 2004, 02:04:37 PM by KrisW73 »

rugrats1

Game Shows in Boston
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2004, 03:00:33 PM »
I believe Channel 27 (I think it was independent in 1990, it's now a Spanish-language affiliate) carried MG90 for a time...

I recall finding on a website (don't know the URL offhand) a screengrab for a MG90 promo from Boston, which said on the top "WHLL, Weekdays at Noon", so it's a fact that ch.27 did carry MG90.

(Ch.27's calls at the time was WHLL [now WUNI], and yes, it was independent then.)

Jimmy Owen

Game Shows in Boston
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2004, 03:13:27 PM »
[quote name=\'KrisW73\' date=\'Jan 2 2004, 02:03 PM\'] I might be wrong, but didn't HP and SP get picked up by channel 68?

TTD was on Channel 7 for spell...10am for some reason sticks in my head because when I was a kid that was one of the "required" watches when I was home sick... [/quote]
 HP was on an indie in Boston, because Bill mentioned they were welcoming a new station in Beantown to the HP lineup at the top of one of the shows.  It seemed that Westinghouse (Group W) stations were quite rebellious with preemptions back in the day.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

ChuckNet

Game Shows in Boston
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2004, 10:01:32 PM »
The New Hollywood Squares with John Davisdon was aired on WFXT FOX 25 in an early afternoon slot during the late 80's.

Did WNEV (Ch. 7, now WHDH) ever carry it? I thought I recalled seeing a snippet of HS on Ch. 7 during a Cape Cod vacation in 1987.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

ChuckNet

Game Shows in Boston
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2004, 10:04:05 PM »
The 1980 versions of Pitfall and Let's Make A Deal were also on Channel 27. A really cool station when it came to picking up assorted programs.

They also carried Monopoly and Super J! in the summer of 1990, IIRC, since ABC affiliate WCVB (Ch. 5) chose to bump off network programming from 8-9 PM on Sat for a time in the late 80s/early 90s.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

Esoteric Eric

Game Shows in Boston
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2004, 01:35:56 AM »
Ex-Bostonian that I am, I can't resist chiming in, even though I can't add much (if any) new info, having left town in '87.

The syndicated TTD was not shown in Boston at all; it was available to those of us who could pick up WMUR in Manchester, NH (the location of my folks' house on a hill about ten miles north of the city afforded us Channel 9's broadcasts.) One night, I just happened to tune in to the season premiere featuring defending champ Thom McKee, in the last stages of his record run.  (I think either Providence's WPRI (Channel 12) or WJAR ("Providence's Television Ten") may also have carried TTD.)

The TTD that KrisW73 remembers on then-WNEV (Channel 7) is most likely the brief CBS version.

WCVB (Channel 5) blacked out ABC programming on Saturdays from 8 - 9 PM (including "Super J!" and "Monopoly") to show "Star Trek: The Next Generation."

Channel 27 in Worcester was originally called WSMW. At one point, they were showing reruns of Cullen $25K Pyramid five nights a week; I remember catching Freddie Prinze (Sr.)'s sole appearance.  (Hey, this was an era where we rarely saw since - deceased people on game shows, with the possible exception of Wally Cox, who seemed to live forever on nighttime syndie HSq.)

Esoteric Eric, having OT memories of "Uncle" Gus Bernier, WMUR's afternoon kiddie show host / evening news meteorologist, and Bob Fouracre, host of WSMW's candlepin bowling show; talk about a "host-ism," how about a guy whose favorite superlative IS "superlative" (as in "A SUPERLATIVE strike for Charlie Jutras!!!")
Eric Smallman; "...I don't think God ever forgave me for Phyllis Newman..." - "Jimmy Carter" (Dan Aykroyd), SNL, 1976

Jay Temple

Game Shows in Boston
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2004, 01:47:47 AM »
MILD SPOILER MILD SPOILER MILD SPOILER

Thursday's Final Jeopardy was in the category CITIES:  (Some guy), who was this city's last censor, banned only ten things in the 1950's and 1960's.  (What is Boston?)

Being originally from the area myself, I thought you all might appreciate that.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

rugrats1

Game Shows in Boston
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2004, 03:12:28 AM »
Hey, this was an era where we rarely saw since - deceased people on game shows, with the possible exception of Wally Cox, who seemed to live forever on nighttime syndie HSq.

Not to mention Charley Weaver -- on WJRT ch.12 in Flint (which carried the syndied Squares in the 1970s), I recall hearing promos for squares featuring "the lovable Charley Weaver". This was around 1975 to 1977, and Cliff Aroquette (the man who was CW) died in 1974.

Thanks to "bicycling", the stars' game show appearances tended to outlive themselves.

Track Man 876

Game Shows in Boston
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2004, 09:53:08 PM »
I have a vague memory that Love Connection and Combs' Family Feud used to be back to back on WLVI-56.  Does anyone remember that or did that ever happen?

Were the following shows ever in Boston?  If so what channel and time?
$100,000 Pyramid (Clark)
$ale of the Century (Syndie)
Headline Chasers
Match Game (pm/syndie)
Super Password (Since it wasn't on WBZ)
Split Second (80s)

Esoteric Eric

Game Shows in Boston
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2004, 09:15:50 AM »
[quote name=\'Track Man 876\' date=\'Jan 7 2004, 06:53 PM\']Were the following shows ever in Boston?  If so what channel and time?

Match Game (pm/syndie)
[/quote]
I recall syndie $OTC being on WQTV (Channel 68) one summer as a replacement for half of the "Dallas" rerun slot (7:30 PM weeknights.)  (At least, that's how Jim Perry explained it in a special promo for WQTV.)

I'm pretty sure that MGPM was on WBZ's 7:30 PM checkerboard (not sure which day, but not Thursday ($25K Pyramid ran then).)

Lastly, though I may veering away from actual fact, I think syndie MG was on WNEV (Channel 7), perhaps at 4PM.  (I'm basing this on my being unaware at the time that CBS had cancelled the show; WNEV was the CBS affiliate then.)

Esoteric Eric, who could swear he saw a "Match Game '80" sign, but he knows better now
Eric Smallman; "...I don't think God ever forgave me for Phyllis Newman..." - "Jimmy Carter" (Dan Aykroyd), SNL, 1976

Skynet74

Game Shows in Boston
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2004, 10:38:28 AM »
[quote name=\'Track Man 876\' date=\'Jan 7 2004, 09:53 PM\'] I have a vague memory that Love Connection and Combs' Family Feud used to be back to back on WLVI-56.  Does anyone remember that or did that ever happen?

Were the following shows ever in Boston?  If so what channel and time?
$100,000 Pyramid (Clark)
Headline Chasers
Match Game (pm/syndie)
Super Password (Since it wasn't on WBZ)
Split Second (80s) [/quote]

I think Headline Chasers was on WNEV Channel 7.
 Syndicated Match Game was on WBZ weekdays at 5 in the afternoon
 Split Second was on WNEV weekmornings I beleive.

Love Connection and Combs Feud with the Bullseye Round were on WLVI 56 for a short time.

Super Password may have been on in Boston but if it was, it was on the very low powered Independent Channel 68. Something I could barely ever pick up from my home 50 miles to the south of Boston. Boston's NBC affiliate never aired the Noon Network schedule.

John