Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Games Show Theme CD's  (Read 12143 times)

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Games Show Theme CD's
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2004, 10:44:19 PM »
[quote name=\'JCGames\' date=\'Jan 1 2004, 07:01 PM\']I'd do anything to hear "Take Ten" from the Fleming Jeopardy again. I'm sure Merv Griffin has that in his closet somewhere. His ex-wife composed that one.[/quote]
His ex-wife is one of the things Merv has in his closet.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Games Show Theme CD's
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2004, 10:49:41 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jan 1 2004, 03:51 PM\']The Paul Taubman original themes of Concentration and Twenty-One were both considered for the second CD, but rights issues was reportedly the reason they didn't appear on it. Pearson sent over the 1982 Tattletales theme in a mistake, too. Apparently the 1974 Tattletales theme was the one originally scheduled to appear on the CD.[/quote]
There might be some difficulty in dealing with the Taubman estate or whoever holds the rights now. I assume Mr. Taubman is no longer with us. I don't even recall hearing any original Twenty One show cues in Robert Redford's movie, come to think of it.

The 1982 TT theme sounds like a second-tier TPIR prize cue. TT I would have been far preferable.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2004, 10:52:25 PM by chris319 »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Games Show Theme CD's
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2004, 01:17:43 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Jan 1 2004, 08:44 PM\'] His ex-wife is one of the things Merv has in his closet. [/quote]
 Keep using the phrases "Merv Griffin" and "in the closet" together and you are venturing into very dangerous territory. ;)

{Seinfeld} Not that there's anything wrong with that. {/Seinfeld}
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Games Show Theme CD's
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2004, 01:43:57 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Jan 1 2004, 04:52 PM\'] Score Productions/Edd Kalehoff still have some stuff up their sleeves: P+, Super Password, Tattletales I, Concentration, Trivia Trap, Card Sharks II, TTTT '80, He Said/She Said to name a few. Hal Hidey has Play the Percentages and Bullseye. Bob Cobert has just about been exhausted. There may not be a clean version of the '60s IGAS march as that show used a studio band -- same with the various versions of BTC. There is no shortage of titles, IMO. Perhaps Kalehoff is one of the people reluctant to license his stuff.

If you went back to the Paul Taubman era there's Twenty One, Tic Tac Dough and others but, having used studio bands, there may not be clean versions sans announcers and applause. Yet there has to be a clean version of Jack Meakin's version of "Hooray for Captain Spaulding" somewhere.

This is not intended to start a series of "wish list" posts but is merely a recital of what's available. [/quote]
 Who did some of the Barris themes? (later Newlywed Game, 3's a Crowd, Treasure Hunt).  I don't seem to recall ever seeing much for music credits on his shows.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

BrandonFG

Games Show Theme CD's
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2004, 02:00:50 AM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Jan 2 2004, 01:43 AM\'] [quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Jan 1 2004, 04:52 PM\'] Score Productions/Edd Kalehoff still have some stuff up their sleeves: P+, Super Password, Tattletales I, Concentration, Trivia Trap, Card Sharks II, TTTT '80, He Said/She Said to name a few. Hal Hidey has Play the Percentages and Bullseye. Bob Cobert has just about been exhausted. There may not be a clean version of the '60s IGAS march as that show used a studio band -- same with the various versions of BTC. There is no shortage of titles, IMO. Perhaps Kalehoff is one of the people reluctant to license his stuff.

If you went back to the Paul Taubman era there's Twenty One, Tic Tac Dough and others but, having used studio bands, there may not be clean versions sans announcers and applause. Yet there has to be a clean version of Jack Meakin's version of "Hooray for Captain Spaulding" somewhere.

This is not intended to start a series of "wish list" posts but is merely a recital of what's available. [/quote]
Who did some of the Barris themes? (later Newlywed Game, 3's a Crowd, Treasure Hunt).  I don't seem to recall ever seeing much for music credits on his shows. [/quote]
 Just a guess, but was it Lee Ringuette?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

zachhoran

Games Show Theme CD's
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2004, 08:03:57 AM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Jan 2 2004, 01:43 AM\']
Who did some of the Barris themes? (later Newlywed Game, 3's a Crowd, Treasure Hunt). [/quote]
 Milton Delugg did the 80s New NG theme.

tyshaun1

Games Show Theme CD's
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2004, 11:48:24 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jan 2 2004, 08:03 AM\'] [quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Jan 2 2004, 01:43 AM\']
Who did some of the Barris themes? (later Newlywed Game, 3's a Crowd, Treasure Hunt). [/quote]
Milton Delugg did the 80s New NG theme. [/quote]
 Yeah, but in the credits, Lee Ringuette is listed as having composed the theme, although it is just an updated version of the original theme by Milton DeLugg. Lee also did the 80's DG too, plus, didn't he do the theme to the 80's Gong Show?

PeterMarshallFan

Games Show Theme CD's
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2004, 12:38:30 PM »
[quote name=\'tyshaun1\' date=\'Jan 2 2004, 12:48 PM\'] [quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jan 2 2004, 08:03 AM\'] [quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Jan 2 2004, 01:43 AM\']
Milton Delugg did the 80s New NG theme. [/quote]
Yeah, but in the credits, Lee Ringuette is listed as having composed the theme, although it is just an updated version of the original theme by Milton DeLugg. Lee also did the 80's DG too, plus, didn't he do the theme to the 80's Gong Show? [/quote]
 I've never seen Gong '88 [I probably should be glad] but the Encyclopedia credits Joey Carbone with the theme from that version.

PeterMarshallFan

Games Show Theme CD's
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2004, 12:40:35 PM »
[quote name=\'Argo\' date=\'Jan 1 2004, 11:16 PM\'] WOuld love to get the theme to the 79 version of Jeopardy. I've heard that it was used on Wheel for a while for a prize cue. Anyone know the name of it, or have it?

Thanks.
Mark [/quote]
"'Frisco Disco" was the title of J79's theme, IIRC.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2004, 12:41:05 PM by PeterMarshallFan »

Bob Zager

Games Show Theme CD's
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2004, 02:30:53 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Jan 1 2004, 04:52 PM\']

[/quote]
 Jack Meakin's version of "Hooray for Captain Spaulding," is on TVT's Televisions Greatest Hits Volume 4 CD.

uncamark

Games Show Theme CD's
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2004, 02:42:12 PM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Jan 2 2004, 01:43 AM\'][quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Jan 1 2004, 04:52 PM\'] Score Productions/Edd Kalehoff still have some stuff up their sleeves: P+, Super Password, Tattletales I, Concentration, Trivia Trap, Card Sharks II, TTTT '80, He Said/She Said to name a few. Hal Hidey has Play the Percentages and Bullseye. Bob Cobert has just about been exhausted. There may not be a clean version of the '60s IGAS march as that show used a studio band -- same with the various versions of BTC. There is no shortage of titles, IMO. Perhaps Kalehoff is one of the people reluctant to license his stuff.

Who did some of the Barris themes? (later Newlywed Game, 3's a Crowd, Treasure Hunt).  I don't seem to recall ever seeing much for music credits on his shows.[/quote]
Barris wrote the themes for almost all of his shows.  From 1978 until he sold the company and left the country for the Riviera, the arrangements and new music were done by Milton DeLugg--DeLugg also shared credit with Barris for "The Gong Show" theme and probably shared credit for the "$1.98 Beauty Show" closing theme ("You win the croooowwwwnnnnn/And a dollar-ninety-eigggghhhttt...").  Lee Ringuette was much like Stan Blits--he selected the music, supervised any edits or remixing and cued the audio men during tapings--but he wasn't a composer or arranger.  Ringuette's predecessor, Frank Jaffe, was credited as a producer on the 1973 Barris LP "Themes from TV Game Shows," but I imagine that neither he nor *his* predecessor, Barris' first wife Lyn, were musicians.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2004, 02:43:38 PM by uncamark »

JCGames

Games Show Theme CD's
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2004, 08:51:33 PM »
maybe I should have said vault instead of closet. :)

Take Ten was indeed written by Julann Griffin. Merv wrote the famous think music which is now the theme of the current version of Jeopardy.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Games Show Theme CD's
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2004, 08:52:08 PM »
Lee Ringuette was much like Stan Blits--he selected the music, supervised any edits or remixing and cued the audio men during tapings--but he wasn't a composer or arranger.
Contrary to folklore posted elsewhere, Stan is not a musician and did not compose, arrange, conduct or otherwise act as "musical director" for Classic Concentration or any of the other shows he's worked on.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2004, 08:53:16 PM by chris319 »

ChuckNet

Games Show Theme CD's
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2004, 09:28:40 PM »
I've never seen Gong '88 [I probably should be glad] but the Encyclopedia credits Joey Carbone with the theme from that version.

And you should also be glad that Varese didn't use the Gong '88 theme on the 2nd CD...that was their original plan. :-)

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

ChuckNet

Games Show Theme CD's
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2004, 09:32:14 PM »
Lee Ringuette was much like Stan Blits--he selected the music, supervised any edits or remixing and cued the audio men during tapings--but he wasn't a composer or arranger.

So can we also assume that Ringuette didn't compose the PYL music package? (Don't recall offhand what his credit read)

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")
« Last Edit: January 02, 2004, 09:32:45 PM by ChuckNet »