Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Games Show Theme CD's  (Read 12141 times)

Skynet74

Games Show Theme CD's
« on: December 31, 2003, 12:52:35 PM »
Well in the past 5 years we have had two Game Show Theme CD's released. Have these been successful enough to expect more in the future? I realize that it's a very small portion of the American public who are even interested in such a thing. Mostly radio stations who want the music for On Air Games and assorted bits. I assume that the CD's didn't do all that well with the general public. I wish I had an exact Sales number to go by, unfortunately I don't.  Anyone else know the inside scoop. Will there be any more releases of such CD's.

thanks,

John

tvrandywest

Games Show Theme CD's
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2003, 01:20:25 PM »
David Schwartz of GSN was the driving force behind those two releases. He enthusiastically did a lot of legwork in unearthing source tapes and prepping the creative while Cary at Varese did the legal and logistics behind the release.  We owe them both a big vote of thanks.

In my last conversation with David he indicated that he felt the project was pretty well exhausted as there are no other "major" themes that appear to be available for licensing. In his opinion, with TPIR, J!, WOF, etc. and most of the old really memorable classics all represented on the first 2 releases there is little sales potential for a third release. I have to agree; we on the lunatic fringe of fandom can't support a release, even if we all bought 2 copies   ;-)

But, there is another player who just entered to picture who says he has had a preliminary conversation with Cary at Varese. He told me he will be sniffing around to see if there is enough material in good quality that can be licensed, and whether a third release is viable. I'm cautiously optimistic, but even IF it comes to pass, it certainly won't be very soon.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

Jimmy Owen

Games Show Theme CD's
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2003, 01:45:45 PM »
You guys would really like "The Big Showdown: The Original Soundtrack."  Yes, Score produced enough music for that show to fill an enitre CD.  Varese is a great label and they should be commended for what they have already done, but I still would like to have a "Best of Score Productions" CD.  Varese often will release Web exclusives, so it proves that they will serve more than the masses.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

DrBear

Games Show Theme CD's
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2003, 01:51:41 PM »
Well, let's see ... they could include some of the newer stuff: Millionaire, the new Pyramid and FF, maybe even Paul Shaffer's version of "I'm a Survivor" :)  And the "Ode to Joy" that Ben Stein used?
That could, with some of the older stuff that might be out there, could give you a third record.  Maybe Nick Clooney would like to re-record his singing from The Moneymaze?

(Seriously, and I'm afraid to start a thread of "what should be on" because we've had so many, but how about the late-60s "neener-neener-neener" theme from IGAS?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2003, 01:52:54 PM by DrBear »
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

wasabe

Games Show Theme CD's
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2003, 02:07:23 PM »
Do you know if these include the music from the $20,000 Pyramid that was played when someone won in the Winner's Circle?

If not, do you know of any sites that might have it?

Thanks very much, and Happy New Year everyone!

Robert Hutchinson

Games Show Theme CD's
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2003, 02:32:10 PM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' date=\'Dec 31 2003, 01:51 PM\']Well, let's see ... they could include some of the newer stuff: Millionaire, the new Pyramid and FF, maybe even Paul Shaffer's version of "I'm a Survivor" :)[/quote]
What, no Theme From Will It Float?
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Games Show Theme CD's
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2004, 07:32:58 AM »
[quote name=\'wasabe\' date=\'Dec 31 2003, 12:07 PM\'] Do you know if these include the music from the $20,000 Pyramid that was played when someone won in the Winner's Circle?

If not, do you know of any sites that might have it?

Thanks very much, and Happy New Year everyone! [/quote]
 Assuming that's still "Tuning Up", that's on the....second CD, I believe.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

wasabe

Games Show Theme CD's
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2004, 09:51:25 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jan 1 2004, 07:32 AM\'] Assuming that's still "Tuning Up", that's on the....second CD, I believe. [/quote]
 Thanks!

I didn't know it was called "Tuning Up".  You really helped me out.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Games Show Theme CD's
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2004, 04:52:54 PM »
Score Productions/Edd Kalehoff still have some stuff up their sleeves: P+, Super Password, Tattletales I, Concentration, Trivia Trap, Card Sharks II, TTTT '80, He Said/She Said to name a few. Hal Hidey has Play the Percentages and Bullseye. Bob Cobert has just about been exhausted. There may not be a clean version of the '60s IGAS march as that show used a studio band -- same with the various versions of BTC. There is no shortage of titles, IMO. Perhaps Kalehoff is one of the people reluctant to license his stuff.

If you went back to the Paul Taubman era there's Twenty One, Tic Tac Dough and others but, having used studio bands, there may not be clean versions sans announcers and applause. Yet there has to be a clean version of Jack Meakin's version of "Hooray for Captain Spaulding" somewhere.

This is not intended to start a series of "wish list" posts but is merely a recital of what's available.

Brandon Brooks

Games Show Theme CD's
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2004, 05:52:55 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Jan 1 2004, 04:52 PM\'] Score Productions/Edd Kalehoff still have some stuff up their sleeves: P+, Super Password, Tattletales I, Concentration, Trivia Trap, Card Sharks II, TTTT '80, He Said/She Said to name a few. Hal Hidey has Play the Percentages and Bullseye. [/quote]
 Was Concentration not supposed to be on the second CD?  I thought I heard from somewhere that licensing issues or something of that ilk prevented it from being included.

Brandon Brooks

zachhoran

Games Show Theme CD's
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2004, 06:51:01 PM »
[quote name=\'Brandon Brooks\' date=\'Jan 1 2004, 05:52 PM\'] [quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Jan 1 2004, 04:52 PM\'] Score Productions/Edd Kalehoff still have some stuff up their sleeves: P+, Super Password, Tattletales I, Concentration, Trivia Trap, Card Sharks II, TTTT '80, He Said/She Said to name a few. Hal Hidey has Play the Percentages and Bullseye. [/quote]
Was Concentration not supposed to be on the second CD?  I thought I heard from somewhere that licensing issues or something of that ilk prevented it from being included.

Brandon Brooks [/quote]
 The Paul Taubman original themes of Concentration and Twenty-One were both considered for the second CD, but rights issues was reportedly the reason they didn't appear on it. Pearson sent over the 1982 Tattletales theme in a mistake, too. Apparently the 1974 Tattletales theme was the one originally scheduled to appear on the CD.

SimpsonGeek

Games Show Theme CD's
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2004, 07:36:22 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jan 1 2004, 06:51 PM\'] [quote name=\'Brandon Brooks\' date=\'Jan 1 2004, 05:52 PM\'] [quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Jan 1 2004, 04:52 PM\'] Score Productions/Edd Kalehoff still have some stuff up their sleeves: P+, Super Password, Tattletales I, Concentration, Trivia Trap, Card Sharks II, TTTT '80, He Said/She Said to name a few. Hal Hidey has Play the Percentages and Bullseye. [/quote]

Brandon Brooks [/quote]
The Paul Taubman original themes of Concentration and Twenty-One were both considered for the second CD, but rights issues was reportedly the reason they didn't appear on it. Pearson sent over the 1982 Tattletales theme in a mistake, too. Apparently the 1974 Tattletales theme was the one originally scheduled to appear on the CD. [/quote]
 I found a very infomative post that goes into those from a while back around the release of the 2nd CD by Jake Tanner.

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&...ie%3DISO-8859-1

Kevin Prather

Games Show Theme CD's
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2004, 07:47:03 PM »
[quote name=\'wasabe\' date=\'Jan 1 2004, 09:51 AM\'] [quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jan 1 2004, 07:32 AM\'] Assuming that's still "Tuning Up", that's on the....second CD, I believe. [/quote]
Thanks!

I didn't know it was called "Tuning Up".  You really helped me out. [/quote]
 Tuning Up by Ken Aldin. It was used for $10K, $20K, $25K, and $50K Pyramids. The one by Bob Cobert was used for New $25K, and $100K Pyramids.

JCGames

Games Show Theme CD's
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2004, 10:01:28 PM »
I'd do anything to hear "Take Ten" from the Fleming Jeopardy again. I'm sure Merv Griffin has that in his closet somewhere. His ex-wife composed that one.

Argo

Games Show Theme CD's
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2004, 10:16:53 PM »
WOuld love to get the theme to the 79 version of Jeopardy. I've heard that it was used on Wheel for a while for a prize cue. Anyone know the name of it, or have it?

Thanks.
Mark