Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Elders Strike Back  (Read 12773 times)

TheInquisitiveOne

The Elders Strike Back
« on: December 30, 2003, 09:09:40 PM »
Good evening everyone!

According to Steve Beverly, the AARP has grown fed up with ad-hungry execs aiming for the 18-49 demographic and has hired a veteran programming executive to help create shows for those over 50.

I say it's about damn time. I am 22, but I definitely do not enjoy what these networks throw at me nowadays. Besides, I get more enjoyment from an 80-year old man than from two perfect vacuums like Paris and Nicole, so that should be proof that the ad execs' theories prove faulty. I am in full support of the AARP's efforts.

I hope I raised an interesting topic to the group, and all opinions are welcome, as always.

The Inquisitive One
This is the Way.

Jim

The Elders Strike Back
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2003, 10:32:05 PM »
I support the development of programming for all ages.  There has to be some comedy or talk formula which has broader appeal than what demographers say those outside of a bracket would understand.  IMHO, we forget that people of all ages enjoy something with a bit of pizazz to it, something off-color, or something topical.  These elements are often lacking in entertainment geared to those, say, over 45.  Writers throughout the 20th century pushed the envelope for their time; it is sad some people thing those over 29 want nothing new or provocative in nature.

gameshowguy2000

The Elders Strike Back
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2003, 10:35:15 PM »
So do I.

I'm only 20, and I watch the usual family-friendly game shows such as J!, Wheel, Pyramid, FF, and HS.

As long as it interests everyone, I'll take it.

The Ol' Guy

The Elders Strike Back
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2003, 11:20:30 PM »
I'll be interested in what kind of research they'll do to come up with these programs. And what kind of shows will they be? Just because it's said that 50+ viewers appreciate classic game shows, they can't give us any old game show and expect us to like it. If it's bad, we'll walk away from it. Same with variety shows, westerns, sitcoms and cop shows. They have to be entertaining - even to a younger crowd. I hope what will come up most in their research is just a preference for more class, less vulgarity, a willingness to accept the fact that people over 50 have value, and try not to constantly trash many of the core beliefs we were raised with. I agree with some of Jim's points - I love Law And Order and 24. I'm willing to enter some areas past the age of the black and white sitcom into things more provocative, providing you don't insult my intelligence and not push the envelope just to show off.

GS Warehouse

The Elders Strike Back
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2003, 12:14:41 AM »
Here are five words that tell me that advertisers' mandate to draw young adult viewers has gone too far:
My Big Fat Obnoxious Fiancee!

Yes, I know it's my money they're after, but I watch by far the least TV at my house.  My mother and uncle are both over 50, but they do have disposable income.  They'd definitely take a stand.

BrandonFG

The Elders Strike Back
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2003, 12:17:09 AM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Dec 31 2003, 12:14 AM\'] Here are five words that tell me that advertisers' mandate to draw young adult viewers has gone too far:

Yes, I know it's my money they're after, but I watch by far the least TV at my house.  My mother and uncle are both over 50, but they do have disposable income.  They'd definitely take a stand. [/quote]
 FOX=lowest common denominator television*

*exceptions include their primetime cartoons, Greed, Married With Children, Bernie Mac, and football

ObGameShow: FOX used to air Greed, remember?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

GS Warehouse

The Elders Strike Back
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2003, 12:23:44 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Dec 31 2003, 12:17 AM\'] ObGameShow: FOX used to air Greed, remember? [/quote]
 Did Chuck Woolery put a curse on Fox when they cancelled Greed?  Not one Friday show since then got the ratings Greed had, and Wanda at Large (now cancelled) and Boston Public combined for fewer viewers!

Casey Buck

The Elders Strike Back
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2003, 12:36:40 AM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Dec 30 2003, 09:23 PM\']Did Chuck Woolery put a curse on Fox when they cancelled Greed?  Not one Friday show since then got the ratings Greed had, and Wanda at Large (now cancelled) and Boston Public combined for fewer viewers![/quote]
No wonder Boston Public has such few viewers; putting it on Fridays was probably the 2nd stupidest scheduling mistake FOX has ever made (canceling Greed being #1). Hell, FOX may as well surrender Friday nights back to the affiliates at this point...

Jay Temple

The Elders Strike Back
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2003, 12:39:41 AM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Dec 30 2003, 11:14 PM\'] My mother and uncle are both over 50, but they do have disposable income.  They'd definitely take a stand. [/quote]
 The problem isn't a failure to recognize that the Elders have money.  The problem is that, on average, advertising isn't very effective in getting them to change their purchasing habits.  As comedian John Hansen noted, "I can't even get my parents to change their brand of toothpaste!"  It does appear to be effective for age-specific products (MedicAlert) and services (life insurance), however.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

TheInquisitiveOne

The Elders Strike Back
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2003, 03:06:15 AM »
Here are five words that tell me that advertisers' mandate to draw young adult viewers has gone too far:

I honestly thought you were making that up, but I read the article at Yahoo just now.

This is exactly what I am talking about and why I am in support of AARP's efforts. Instead of asking us what they want, they're telling us what they want. These networks continue to crank out the same garbage beacuse they are too chicken to pony up money for producation costs and writers to conceive some DECENT television.

This is where I have to give CBS credit. Yes, I despise Survivor and Big Brother, but they use what they already have to make decent television. Couple that with homogenized, narrow-minded television, and The Price is Right is once again a primetime hit.

And network execs are sitting in their offices and scratching their heads, wondering why their ratings and ad dollars continue to go down among their coveted demographic. Idiots.

The Inquisitive One

(By the way, even though they have been falling off as of late, The Simpsons still makes for what is still good on FOX.)
This is the Way.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
The Elders Strike Back
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2003, 03:30:01 AM »
[quote name=\'TheInquisitiveOne\' date=\'Dec 31 2003, 01:06 AM\'] This is exactly what I am talking about and why I am in support of AARP's efforts. Instead of asking us what they want, they're telling us what they want. [/quote]
 But through their lobbying, isn't the AARP telling you what you want, too?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
The Elders Strike Back
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2003, 06:09:45 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Dec 31 2003, 12:30 AM\'][quote name=\'TheInquisitiveOne\' date=\'Dec 31 2003, 01:06 AM\'] This is exactly what I am talking about and why I am in support of AARP's efforts. Instead of asking us what they want, they're telling us what they want. [/quote]
But through their lobbying, isn't the AARP telling you what you want, too?[/quote]
The AARP doesn't make programming decisions.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
The Elders Strike Back
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2003, 06:18:04 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Dec 31 2003, 04:09 AM\'] The AARP doesn't make programming decisions. [/quote]
 Granted. But I'm not sure I want the AARP representing my interests to TV Land, either.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

The Ol' Guy

The Elders Strike Back
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2003, 09:52:52 AM »
If I hadn't of edited my earlier post, it would have been a two-hour read. Chris and Jay both touch on thoughts I had earlier, too. Any bully group, be it Democrats or Republicans, People For The American Way or the AARP, will try to make things 100% their way as much as possible, and it will lead to more fractionizing and dissent. Having worked at a few adult standards radio stations, the biggest thing killing them off is advertisers' narrow thinking that people past a certain age group can not be persuaded to change their habits. I disagree. Everybody has ego buttons that can be pushed if done the right way. Seniors have computers, cell phones, can be led to certain fashion choices, and so on. The most important things are to reach them at their level, treat them with honesty, and show them the benefits. Seniors want security, ease, health, and respect. You could change some of their buying habits if the same toothpaste that promises a sexy smile for the young also makes teeth stronger or helps take away years of coffee stains and nicotine for the not-as-young. The percentages of senior buyers changing brands may be smaller, but why throw those sales away?

calliaume

The Elders Strike Back
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2003, 10:53:00 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Dec 31 2003, 12:17 AM\'] [quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Dec 31 2003, 12:14 AM\'] Here are five words that tell me that advertisers' mandate to draw young adult viewers has gone too far:

Yes, I know it's my money they're after, but I watch by far the least TV at my house.  My mother and uncle are both over 50, but they do have disposable income.  They'd definitely take a stand. [/quote]
FOX=lowest common denominator television*

*exceptions include their primetime cartoons, Greed, Married With Children, Bernie Mac, and football

ObGameShow: FOX used to air Greed, remember? [/quote]
 I'll reuse my line:

"Fox!  Seventeen years, and we still haven't hit the bottom of the barrel!"

Honestly, I don't watch the network other than for football (for some reason I've never gotten into The Simpsons, even though it's a fine program), and the constant background clatter gets to me after awhile.  (Heck, I miss Ray Scott, Curt Gowdy, and Pat Summerall doing play-by-play, so you know where I'm coming from.)

Dumping Greed was, if I remember correctly, a knee-jerk decision after It's Your Chance of a Lifetime tanked, and clearly one they should have thought through.