Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 2024 USA Today Game Show Articles  (Read 2178 times)

That Don Guy

Re: 2024 USA Today Game Show Articles
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2024, 11:06:08 AM »
It is missing the Melody Roulette round which was almost as signature to the brand as the Bid-a-Note round.

What surprised me the most was, when they play Spin Me Round, they don't call that "Melody Roulette" instead. It's not as if half of the audience would respond, "That's not 'real' Melody Roulette," and stop watching.

BTW, in the earliest 1970s nighttime episodes, when the first round was Pick-A-Tune instead of Money Tree, they didn't play Melody Roulette; instead, it was Cassette Roulette - the quick version: there were eight "cassettes" (actually 8-track tapes), each with a category; a contestant chose one, and a corresponding tune was played by the band; four of the categories had prizes associated with them; I think it was best of 7 tunes.

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2024, 01:15:54 PM »
I'll toss my 2 cents in, and I may have posted this here before. Every moment that can be filled with a contestant showing off a talent, or shots of anxious relatives, or drawn-out reveals is a moment that the game isn't being played and money isn't being given away. Yeah, there's the human interest aspect, but when you're turning a good 30-minute game into an hour show, you have to cut corners everywhere you can to stay in budget. Then there's the element that always bugged me about Deal or No Deal. How many people ever took a big early offer? Makes one wonder if strongly encouraging a contestant to go on was always part of the plan. Heck...if I picked my first set of cases and the bank offered me $35,000 - I came in with nothing, so why not take it and run? Can't see DoND go through 6 contestants in an hour taking early cash grabs and staying budgetarily viable...

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2024, 04:47:31 PM »
My theory on the backstories dates back to whenever NBC got the Olympics.

I make a lot of analogies between sports and game shows. I understand they're nowhere near the same level when it comes to economics. But I think a lot can be gained by treating them the same way, particularly with doing them live to tape, etc. You'd never do a pickup of a free throw because the camera was out of position. Frankly, the camera would almost NEVER be out of position in basketball, whereas on modern game shows it can be, but I digress.

To that end, I think story packages CAN have a place. To go to sports, I think they make sense at the Olympics, because the whole thing is about a long journey to one moment in time, a life spent training, etc. And I think they're OK on game shows where the action isn't too dense. Deal or No Deal is a perfect example. Sure, some countries play it a little more straight. But there's an obvious appeal in tying the big six-figure swings on a U.S. version to a compelling personal story. You're not distracting from a barrage of questions, or competition between multiple players.

But on shows that are format driven, I really start to question how much is enough when it comes to contestant chat. You shouldn't stop a football game mid-drive to show a 3-minute package about one player. People are watching for the competition. Similarly, when you've got a dense game show, I think the audience is coming for that, first and foremost. If not, why not do a talk show instead? You can still develop that sort of personal attachment on a game-heavy show organically; returning champions would be one way to do it.

If there's loads of research that says regular people won't watch regular people play a regular game no matter what, then the story-forward strategy makes sense. I just have a feeling that certain shows are making that choice for the viewers, rather than the other away around.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #33 on: Today at 08:49:00 AM »
To go to sports, I think they make sense at the Olympics, because the whole thing is about a long journey to one moment in time, a life spent training, etc.
Most Olympic disciplines, though, face similar challenges to most game shows in that they are trying to draw an audience that is either actually or functionally watching them for the first time. Unlike game shows, there is no real play-along value to many sports, so the Olympics have to lean into the human interest angle because otherwise they're presenting games you don't care about featuring people you don't care about.

I feel like there's a big meaty philosophical discussion here that we could spend hours on (if we haven't already) but in reality, I'm not sure how much more complex the answer is going to be other than "we need ratings" and/or "this other successful show did this, so we should do it, too."
This signature is currently under construction.

BrandonFG

« Reply #34 on: Today at 11:08:10 AM »
I watched some of the opening ceremony on Peacock last night. I know she has a talk show syndicated by NBC and I know he hosts “College Bowl”, but Kelly Clarkson and Peyton Manning made the ceremony damn near unwatchable by being so chatty. Felt a little “How do you do fellow kids?” Between that and Hoda and Savannah talking about what celebrities are in Paris, I have a feeling the fluff is going to overshadow the spirit of competition more than ever this year.

The reactions on Threads has been overwhelmingly negative (mostly wishing the commentators would stop talking and let the moment breathe), so again I ask what audience is NBC trying to reach?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #35 on: Today at 11:24:50 AM »
so again I ask what audience is NBC trying to reach?
Not saying there’s zero overlap in the Venn diagram between “Interested in athletics” and “Swifties”, but my guess is Swifties.
--Mark
Phil 4:13