Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: $ale of the Century Syndicated  (Read 52025 times)

cyclone45

$ale of the Century Syndicated
« Reply #120 on: November 29, 2013, 11:57:37 PM »

Well...according to the PDFs, they\'re starting on ep 9 on Monday. Drat. I missed the first three syndie eps...

gamed121683

« Reply #121 on: November 30, 2013, 12:43:52 AM »

* The contestants seem really good at getting the money cards on the Fame Game board. Could this be why they later changed it to a randomizer?

I\'m guessing the popularity of Press Your Luck (what kind of ratings did it pull, anyway?) had more to do with that than people being able to make a blind choice and come up with something good. Plus they get to use the little ditty from Time Machine again.

If we assume that there are only the three money cards and no means to pick again, there is an 8-in-21 chance that all three money cards will go begging. That means in 62% of shows at least one money card will be chosen. That\'s not contestants being \"really good at finding money cards,\" that\'s just probability at work over a series of trials.

http://youtu.be/lI0J-wRrQSM?t=12m28s\'>This post was brought to you by...

ET206

« Reply #122 on: November 30, 2013, 12:56:51 AM »

Jay Stewart appeared in two Instant Bargain skits.  This is the first time I can remember seeing him on-screen on $otC.  Did he (or Don Morrow) ever appear on-screen on the Daytime version?  Anyway, it\'s good hearing his voice on GSN again.

TheInquisitiveOne

« Reply #123 on: November 30, 2013, 06:40:40 AM »
Stewart did appear in a Daytime Instant Bargain skit (in a kimono!) in a 1984 episode. IIRC, it was between the debut of the Winner\'s Board and Summer\'s debut.

The Inquisitive One
This is the Way.

sotcfan2004

« Reply #124 on: November 30, 2013, 12:26:58 PM »

Out of curiosity, it looks like they used several different female models for the nighttime version. Any idea on who they were?

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #125 on: November 30, 2013, 01:07:06 PM »

A few things that have been brought to my attention recently:

1) Doing some calculations in my head, Matt Ottinger\'s episode aired on May 17, 1985, and was #S-095. 29 episodes after Alice Conkwright won the $77,000 jackpot.

2) According to Jason Cranmer on Chuck Donegan\'s\' Facebook Page, the last episode of $ale\'s first Syndicated season, was also Tim Holleran\'s first appearance  (#S-100; May 24, 1985). I believe he was originally on for 8 episodes.

3) I heard claims that Jay Stewart filled in for Lee Menning as co-host in 1984. Did he really? I\'d like to see that if it is actually true.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 09:00:08 PM by Vahan_Nisanian »

chad1m

« Reply #126 on: November 30, 2013, 04:49:39 PM »

As someone whose first regular exposure to Sale was GSN\'s daytime pickup this year, it\'s weird for me not having an Instant Cash or hearing the randomizer start when someone answers a Fame Game correctly.

If anyone that doesn\'t have GSN or missed out is interested in the marathon episodes, I\'m more than happy to trade for them. I\'ve got them digitized.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 04:49:59 PM by chad1m »

cyclone45

« Reply #127 on: November 30, 2013, 06:07:36 PM »

I need the first 4.. DVR was only set to keep 5 episodes!!

cyclone45

« Reply #128 on: November 30, 2013, 09:55:53 PM »

Yes Vahan, but how many episodes is GSN\'S lease? If it\'s only 65, we won\'t get to Conkwright or Holleran.

catnap1972

« Reply #129 on: November 30, 2013, 10:11:25 PM »

Looks like they had some conversion issue with episodes #4-6 in the set.  If you watch closely, motion and transitions have that weird jerky streamed look to them.  Thought it might\'ve been my DVR but the commercials look fine and episode #s 1-3 along with the last two look fine.

snowpeck

« Reply #130 on: November 30, 2013, 10:31:21 PM »

Looks like they had some conversion issue with episodes #4-6 in the set.  If you watch closely, motion and transitions have that weird jerky streamed look to them.  Thought it might\'ve been my DVR but the commercials look fine and episode #s 1-3 along with the last two look fine.

Not just you... had the same issue on my end.

Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
« Reply #131 on: November 30, 2013, 10:59:35 PM »

I thought my eyes were going out on me. Glad to know I didn\'t see otherwise.

Chief-O

« Reply #132 on: November 30, 2013, 11:13:22 PM »

Not just you... had the same issue on my end.

Same here. Maybe it\'s just the videographer/editor in me, but those eps. were hard for me to watch.....[but still fun game-wise!]

« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 11:13:38 PM by Chief-O »
.....and it goes like this!!!

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #133 on: December 01, 2013, 02:10:29 AM »

Yes Vahan, but how many episodes is GSN\'S lease? If it\'s only 65, we won\'t get to Conkwright or Holleran.

I don\'t know.

So does anyone here recall Jay Stewart filling in for Lee Menning in 1984?

JMFabiano

« Reply #134 on: December 01, 2013, 10:09:38 PM »

* The contestants seem really good at getting the money cards on the Fame Game board. Could this be why they later changed it to a randomizer?

* With regards to the ticket plug, they didn\'t even cover it up with a \"Phone Not Active\" disclaimer, like USA Network always did.

Dunno how the Fame Game would\'ve made a difference. Either way, it was still a blind draw...it\'s just with the randomizer, you saw the Money Card in advance, and tried to have good hand-eye coordination.

On the rare occasion when GSN showed ticket plugs (they did it with Password Plus a few times), they didn\'t use a disclaimer there either. I think the difference with USA is that the reruns were a lot more recent, so it would be easier to mistake a 4-5 year old show as new*, as opposed to one from 29 years ago.

*Considering the average viewer at home might not even realize it was a rerun at that point.

Considering that GSN always made it a point not to show plugs, barring a few select mistakes, I am not sure time made a difference to them. 

I thought the PW+ ones made it through for a reason; i.e. because they were mid-segment to allow Bill Cullen to travel between the main game and Alphabetics sets, where an edit would be awkward (though GSN used to cover mid-segment ticket plugs with their own web and office address plugs...)  

I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.