Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The games time passed by?  (Read 12737 times)

Sodboy13

The games time passed by?
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2013, 01:56:47 PM »

You worked for H.L. Mencken?

"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

Neumms

« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2013, 11:01:56 PM »

As much as I love them, though, it seems the traditional panel shows have gone the way of the traditional variety hours.

I thought GSN\'s I\'ve Got a Secret was well done, good host and panel and probably better game play than the original and, yeah, it failed.

That said, if you got celebrities who played Hollywood Game Night to play What\'s My Line? in prime time with A-tier mystery guests, would it work? It\'s just as captivating as the games on Game Night, but more than the game, it was the panel and stars who made it.

I think the obsolete games are Password and Pyramid. It\'s not the games, but the celebrity partner thing doesn\'t work. Just today, I saw Wallace Something-or-Other giving the clues Africa and Asia for the category \"Countries.\" If you have that low a threshold for fame and still can\'t get decent celebrity players, it doesn\'t work.

BrandonFG

« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2013, 09:27:23 AM »

Thing is, from the late-70s on, Password and Pyramid were never really about the star power, but they had competent celebrities, which were a little more hit or miss in the Osmond and Richards versions.

I can kinda forgive the Countries goof, as I feel that\'s a common misconception, one of those things you should know, but gives you a brain fart. It\'s still a goof, but I don\'t think I\'d use that as precedent for dumb celebs. That being said, I won\'t say that this latest Pyramid didn\'t have them.

As for What\'s My Line?, I proposed making that a late-night show (say, the 11:00pm hour) for low stakes, more of a lighthearted affair, maybe a few martinis to loosen the panel up. I\'m thinking a Hollywood Game Night kinda vibe.

"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2013, 09:41:37 AM »

As much as I love them, though, it seems the traditional panel shows have gone the way of the traditional variety hours.

I thought GSN\'s I\'ve Got a Secret was well done, good host and panel and probably better game play than the original and, yeah, it failed.

That said, if you got celebrities who played Hollywood Game Night to play What\'s My Line? in prime time with A-tier mystery guests, would it work? It\'s just as captivating as the games on Game Night, but more than the game, it was the panel and stars who made it.

The GSN Secret is my cautionary tale of why panel shows probably won\'t work.  They did it about as well as I could ask them to, and it didn\'t work.

As much as I love the panel shows, I disagree that they would be as captivating as the games on Hollywood Game Night, primarily for the lack of play-along.  I do like Brandon\'s idea of a later show with cocktails.  Still, it\'s a format that simply appeals to an older audience.  You have to cater to that audience and not pander to a younger one, who won\'t care anyway.

This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

GameShowGuru

« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2013, 04:45:13 PM »

Just today, I saw Wallace Something-or-Other giving the clues Africa and Asia for the category \"Countries.\" If you have that low a threshold for fame and still can\'t get decent celebrity players, it doesn\'t work.

If Wallace was going to go that route, he should\'ve just said \"Australia\". ;-)