Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Taking prizes back?  (Read 11741 times)

cmjb13

Taking prizes back?
« on: October 24, 2013, 10:15:25 AM »

I have a friend that attend a recent taping of Let\'s Make a Deal.

He stated that during the show, staff states they want people to be excited about being there. They even stated a story about a person who won a car, but didn\'t seem that interested, so they  stopped taped, edited her out of the show and claimed they didn\'t give her the car.

Unless one cheats, I say S&P can\'t allow a car to be taken away if you aren\'t thrilled that you won it.

I say that story was told to scare people into being excited when you win a prize.

Your thoughts?

« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 10:16:04 AM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Matt Ottinger

Taking prizes back?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 11:56:19 AM »

I say that story was told to scare people into being excited when you win a prize.

I would agree with that assessment.

This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Taking prizes back?
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 01:17:32 PM »

I would agree with that assessment.

As do I. Because there\'s no better way to get real, genuine, honest reactions of excitement than through intimidation.

/contestant coordination really is a lost art
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 01:18:05 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Taking prizes back?
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 01:22:37 PM »

When did people stop genuinely being excited about prizes? Late 70s/early 80s? It was always fun to watch the housewives gasp at the prospect of winning a COLOR TV~! in the first years of the Price is Right, but that allure went away over time. They used to cut back to the contestant between each prize description in, say, Poker Game, but later the applause and the happy faces just weren\'t there.

-Jason

Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Taking prizes back?
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 01:24:36 PM »

When did people stop genuinely being excited about prizes?

Roughly about the same time they started picking college kids with no use for a veranda and people wearing BOB ROOLZ T-shirts.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

Taking prizes back?
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 02:07:34 PM »

(old man rant) Given the way the audience hoots and hollers over the slightest thing*, to the point of where I wonder if THEY even know what they\'re cheering for, I\'m not surprised the staffers are using scare tactics. Maybe it\'s a Fremantle thing...Feud and TPiR do it too...having your staffers force the audience excitement doesn\'t make it exciting.

*WAYNE: What are you dressed as?

CONTESTANT: I\'m Little Red Riding Hood

AUDIENCE: Wooooo!!!

"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Brian44

Taking prizes back?
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2013, 02:10:29 PM »
<blockquote  class=\"ipsBlockquote\" data-author=\"JasonA1\" data-cid=\"317018\" data-time=\"1382635357\">
<div>
<p>They used to cut back to the contestant between each prize description in, say, Poker Game, but later the applause and the happy faces just weren\'t there.</p>
</div>

<p>You're certainly right about that, but I thought that practice was dropped primarily to save time. That's an easy way to shave off a good 10 seconds.</p>
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 06:04:19 PM by Brian44 »

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
Taking prizes back?
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 03:22:53 PM »
I agree, but only because they would've made the contestant redo her reaction until she gave the "right" amount of excitement the show wanted to see in the first place (as was the case after this Price Is Right taping).

Mike Richards may or may not do some dumb things, but I'm pretty sure he wouldn't allow what was described in the story to actually happen. (Although that in and of itself doesn't necessarily mean the story doesn't have some basis in reality.)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 06:26:17 AM by Dan88 »
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

Matt Ottinger

Taking prizes back?
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2013, 03:47:07 PM »

Almost directly to the point, http://www.dailytoreador.com/lavida/article_98757024-3b88-11e3-9cd5-0019bb30f31a.html\'>here\'s a (badly written) story about a couple of contestants who played the game, and even though their segment didn\'t air, they got their prizes anyway.

Based on this, it would not surprise me if contestants are told in advance that their segment might not air if they don\'t show enough enthusiasm, and somebody misunderstood that to mean that they also wouldn\'t get their prizes.

This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Taking prizes back?
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2013, 04:03:41 PM »

Could part of it be that the show was offering middle class fare? It might take me some time to put together enough money to buy a dining room set or a domestic holiday, but it could be years before I could be able to buy a mid-range car, or $25,000 in savings. Wasn\'t that ostensibly the point of the instant bargains: luxury goods at heavily discount prices? I wouldn\'t set out to buy a laserdisc player, but if presented the chance to win one I\'d be pleased about it. When that becomes a sewing machine, I smile gamely and golf clap.
Travis L. Eberle

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
Taking prizes back?
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2013, 07:10:53 PM »

Roughly about the same time they started picking college kids with no use for a veranda and people wearing BOB ROOLZ T-shirts.

I think the lack of reactions speaks more to a cultural shift than contestant selection. I can\'t speak firsthand, but it feels like the acquisition of material goods as a reflection of one\'s success in life was viewed differently in the 50s than it was in the 90s -- elegantly-crafted home goods (like ornate dining room furniture and silverplated tea services) were still viewed as status symbols and required a lot of hard work to obtain.

And am I correct in assuming that home goods, in general, were more expensive (compared to the average income) in decades past? I saw an episode of TPIR from the early 70s in which the contestant says that she just finished the payments on her refrigerator. And back then, a refrigerator on the show could go for about $999 -- in 2005, TPIR was still offering a refrigerator that retailed for $999.

Another theory: The 1980s introduced the \"greed is good\" mindset. So whereas before, people were more likely to be appreciative of any nice gift, once the attitude of \"I can have everything\" became popular, people expected game shows to exclusively offer big-ticket prizes like cars and cash -- by comparison, a living room group is a disappointment.

BrandonFG

Taking prizes back?
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2013, 08:22:21 PM »

Honestly, I\'d say a little of Scott and Chris\' explanations. In 1974, your average contestant was Helen Housewife, who could really use that Amana range/microwave/dishwasher. Fast forward 25 years and the average contestant is Charlie Co-Ed, who has no use for the appliances, but loves sneaking in a good \"420\" bid for lulz. That\'s not to say the current crop doesn\'t need the appliances, but it is less of a luxury. Scott\'s comparison to prices makes sense too, in that in 1974 winning a range was a big deal ($1000 then was worth about 4.5x that now). Today, it\'s nice but also not as expensive.

I only watch the show when I\'m on a coffee break, but from what I\'ve noticed, your contestants are either college students or grandparents, neither of which really care about appliances or verandas. So for that reason, I do credit the staff for going after more conventional prizes...I know they still give away hot tubs and porch swings, but seeing more stuff like iGadgets and such is pretty cool, even if they do refer to it as a generic \"smartphone\" or \"tablet\" when Stevie Wonder can see it\'s an iPhone or Note.

To the point of more college students appearing on the show, could that be because more women were entering the workforce by the late-70s, and thus not as many housewives? Granted, that doesn\'t explain the punny T-shirts or hot tubs still being offered, and I know wanting a younger demographic is also partly to blame, but it\'s a thought.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 08:29:00 PM by BrandonFG »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Taking prizes back?
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2013, 09:57:52 PM »
I beg your pardon, I snuck in there too, guy. :)
Travis L. Eberle

BrandonFG

Taking prizes back?
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2013, 10:07:25 PM »
 Oops! Yes, 10 points to you as well. ;-)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Taking prizes back?
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2013, 10:19:01 PM »
And to the point; I really don\'t care about the audience reactions as shot by that stupid jib cam when someone spins a dollar. It\'s one thing to watch someone flip out over the prospect of winning a car, but I\'ve never understood the value of showing the crowd cheering.
Travis L. Eberle