Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Final Episode For The Host Mentions  (Read 8969 times)

calliaume

Final Episode For The Host Mentions
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2003, 04:55:51 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Dec 29 2003, 04:27 PM\'] Wow. Thanks for the replies. I wonder about a couple of others. Ralph Story replacing Sonny Fox on The $64,000 Challenge and whether or not Bob Hilton had any last words on his last hosting day of Let's Make A Deal. [/quote]
Based on the clips I remember seeing on The American Experience: The Quiz Show Scandals, I'm not sure Sonny Fox was ever referred to again.  As far as I can tell, Sonny was as inept a host as you'll ever see.

Fox had a history of being replaced partway through runs:  The $64,000 Challenge, The Movie Game, and New York's Wonderama (not to mention an ill-fated stint running NBC's children's programming in 1977).  The only shows I can recall him filling out the contract were Way Out Games and Let's Take a Trip.

Hilton may not have known the axe was being sharpened when he did his final taping.  Anyone remember?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2003, 04:56:13 PM by calliaume »

PeterMarshallFan

« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2003, 05:02:20 PM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' date=\'Dec 29 2003, 05:55 PM\']
Fox had a history of being replaced partway through runs:  The $64,000 Challenge, The Movie Game, and New York's Wonderama (not to mention an ill-fated stint running NBC's children's programming in 1977).  The only shows I can recall him filling out the contract were Way Out Games and Let's Take a Trip.
 [/quote]
 I'm pretty sure he filled out his stint as host of the short-lived 60s kids game On Your Mark also [he also produced it, making it more likely that he hosted the entire run]

I saw him host Way Out Games. OK show, terrible host.

HYHYBT

« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2003, 05:37:36 PM »
As for Let's Make a Deal, every 1990-91 episode with Monty Hall he's introduced as a guest host, and he said on the Today show at the time that he was just there temporarily. Were they looking for another host, planning to return to Bob Hilton, or just filling time? I mean at first.
"If you ask me to repeat this I'm gonna punch you right in the nose" -- Geoff Edwards, Play the Percentages

DrBear

« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2003, 05:56:01 PM »
Since we've mentioned TTTT, how anout the 90s version?

"Here's your new host, taking over for the old new host who took over for the first host who took over for the guy who did the pilot, Alex Trebek!"
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

uncamark

« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2003, 12:49:34 PM »
[quote name=\'HYHYBT\' date=\'Dec 29 2003, 05:37 PM\']As for Let's Make a Deal, every 1990-91 episode with Monty Hall he's introduced as a guest host, and he said on the Today show at the time that he was just there temporarily. Were they looking for another host, planning to return to Bob Hilton, or just filling time? I mean at first.[/quote]
*Monty* wanted it to be temporary.  Jackie Smith, the head of daytime programming at NBC who talked him into it, probably wanted it to be permanent.  She kinda won.

TimK2003

« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2004, 04:17:45 PM »
What about the $128,000 Question?   IIRC, Mike Darrow hosted Season 1, and Alex Trebek came in for Season 2?  Was there a voluntary torch passing, or because the show's switching production facilities across the US/CAN border required the change?

zachhoran

« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2004, 05:27:26 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' date=\'Jan 1 2004, 04:17 PM\'] What about the $128,000 Question?   IIRC, Mike Darrow hosted Season 1, and Alex Trebek came in for Season 2?  Was there a voluntary torch passing, or because the show's switching production facilities across the US/CAN border required the change? [/quote]
 I believe Mike Darrow was from Canada. He could have made the trek if $128K Question producers wanted him to. Recall Darrow hosted the USA Jackpot, which taped in Toronto. If Darrow was not Canadian, they'd have to have an on-camera co host or announcer(why DUsty Martell was needed on Lingo, besides the eye candy factor, and why Rod Charlebois was on-camera for the USA Chain Reaction when Geoff hosted)

Ian Wallis

« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2004, 01:09:43 PM »
I believe Mike Darrow was from Canada. He could have made the trek if $128K Question producers wanted him to.

Darrow is from Canada, he was born in Edmonton.  I believe he was living in Toronto at the time of 1980s "Jackpot".  I don't where he lives now.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Don Howard

« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2004, 01:55:10 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Jan 3 2004, 01:09 PM\']
I believe Mike Darrow was from Canada. He could have made the trek if $128K Question producers wanted him to.

Darrow is from Canada, he was born in Edmonton.  I believe he was living in Toronto at the time of 1980s "Jackpot".  I don't where he lives now. [/quote]
 He lives nowhere. He is deceased, having gone over the rainbow bridge in 1996, I believe.

PeterMarshallFan

« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2004, 04:38:09 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Jan 3 2004, 02:55 PM\'] [quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Jan 3 2004, 01:09 PM\']

Darrow is from Canada, he was born in Edmonton.  I believe he was living in Toronto at the time of 1980s "Jackpot".  I don't where he lives now. [/quote]
He lives nowhere. He is deceased, having gone over the rainbow bridge in 1996, I believe. [/quote]
 Really? That's news to me.

gameshowguy2000

« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2004, 04:45:33 PM »
And I ask: Which one of you is RIGHT (R-I-G-H-T)?

ChuckNet

« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2004, 07:11:09 PM »
He's definitely passed on, as it was posted to ATGS some years back by a former friend of his...and not to nitpick, but the proper spelling of his surname was "Darow".

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")