Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Final Episode For The Host Mentions  (Read 8966 times)

rugrats1

Final Episode For The Host Mentions
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2003, 05:12:53 PM »

Actually, Blake was the FIRST host of Chain Reaction. Geoff told me that Canada had a rule that ONLY Canadian personalities could host Canadian game shows.
Blake's "hosting" was so horrid, Bob Stewart tried to find a loophole to replace Blake with Geoff.  The Canadian TV "powers that be" made a compromise. Geoff got to host, but announcer Rod Chalabois would appear on camera at the beginning and end of the show (for the "Missing Link" puzzles), since he is Canadian.
Art James was able to host the US-syndicated, Canadian-taped SUper Pay Cards since Mary Lou Basaraba was a Canadian, and Michael Reagan was able to host the original Lingo, also done in Canada, since Dusty Martell is Canadian. Geoff wasn't the only non-Canadian to host a US-aired, Canadian-based show. Jim Perry is from NJ and hosted a short-lived US syndicated, Canadian-taped show, Money Makers, in the late 60s.

What about the Jack Narz / Gene Wood "Beat The Clock" from the 1970s (taped in Montreal from 1970 to 1974)? Or did that predate (or straddle) the rules?

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2003, 07:45:33 PM »
At one time I thought Gene Wood was Canadian because  he also hosted "Anything You Can Do" (succeeded by Canadian Don "Charlie Farquarson" Harron.)  Maybe the models were Canadian???
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

TimK2003

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2003, 08:09:18 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Dec 27 2003, 07:55 PM\'] As a sequel to the popular Final Episode Mentions topic, are they any shows where the show continued yet the host was replaced where any mention of the switch was made? [/quote]
 One that hasn't been mentioned yet was during the 80s run of "The Newlywed Game" when maybe 3 or 4 months into one of the seasons (1986/87), Bob Eubanks passed the torch over to Paul Rodriguez.

Speaking of which, does anyone know the story of exactly why Bob left Newlywed Game midway into the seasons run and why the dramatic set changes?

zachhoran

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2003, 08:21:36 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' date=\'Dec 28 2003, 08:09 PM\']
One that hasn't been mentioned yet was during the 80s run of "The Newlywed Game" when maybe 3 or 4 months into one of the seasons (1986/87), Bob Eubanks passed the torch over to Paul Rodriguez.

Speaking of which, does anyone know the story of exactly why Bob left Newlywed Game midway into the seasons run and why the dramatic set changes? [/quote]
 It was the 1988-89 season he left during, and December 5th 1988 was the date on which Paul's first show aired. Bob reportedly left due to family committments and due to a new show he was supposed to host in Fall 1989(Celebrity Secrets, a syndicated remake of NBC's All-Star Secrets in 1979, both of which he co-produced with Michael Hill). The show did not sell. Some people think he left due to the changes introduced later in the show's run(the playing for dollars in the maingame instead of points, the "model of the week" who displayed the prizes, the set change that placed Eubanks between couples number two and three)

ChuckNet

« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2003, 08:29:35 PM »
Geoff wasn't the only non-Canadian to host a US-aired, Canadian-based show. Jim Perry is from NJ and hosted a short-lived US syndicated, Canadian-taped show, Money Makers, in the late 60s.

Ross Shafer was another American who hosted a Canadian-based GS, hence the presence of Marilyn Smith, a native Canuck, as hostess on Love Me, Love Me Not.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

Stevek83

« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2003, 09:29:20 PM »
What about when Richard Dawson returned to the Feud in 94?

zachhoran

« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2003, 09:45:29 PM »
[quote name=\'Stevek83\' date=\'Dec 28 2003, 09:29 PM\'] What about when Richard Dawson returned to the Feud in 94? [/quote]
He gave a brief spiel about how it was nice to be back. Ray, on the other hand, gave two not-so-subtle hints about his last Feud episode on 5/27/94 being his last show. The second player gets five zeroes in Fast Money, and Ray jokes that it's a damn fine way to go out after six years, and he then walks off the set after his goodbye, leaving the winning family on the set alone.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2003, 09:55:09 PM by zachhoran »

Stevek83

« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2003, 09:48:15 PM »
Thanks, but i thought his last show was in Fall '93. Thats what they said on the E! True Hollywood Story.

J.R.

« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2003, 09:48:33 PM »
That makes me curious. Was Ray Combs, directly or undirectly, mentioned anytime in Feud 94 ?

-Joe R.
OBTrio: DirecTV is not going to dump Trio afterall. Whoo-hoo !
-Joe Raygor

zachhoran

« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2003, 09:51:29 PM »
[quote name=\'Stevek83\' date=\'Dec 28 2003, 09:48 PM\'] Thanks, but i thought his last show was in Fall '93. Thats what they said on the E! True Hollywood Story. [/quote]
 E! was off by a bit on that airdate.

zachhoran

« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2003, 09:54:23 PM »
[quote name=\'JRaygor\' date=\'Dec 28 2003, 09:48 PM\'] That makes me curious. Was Ray Combs, directly or undirectly, mentioned anytime in Feud 94 ?

[/quote]
Not that I recall. RIchard acted like the show hadn't been on the air in nine years during his 1994 tenure(and the returning champions from the previous season weren't even back until a month after the season began, as the second half of the hour long 1994-95 Feud shows had 4/5 of family teams from the original Feud returning to play again). Richard and Ray did co-host a Thanksgiving 1995 salute to Feud on GSN, but they didn't host their bits in the same studio IIRC. Richard's parts of it were rerun on Thanksgiving 2000 in an evening marathon.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2003, 09:56:50 PM by zachhoran »

JMFabiano

« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2003, 12:19:39 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Dec 28 2003, 09:54 PM\'] [quote name=\'JRaygor\' date=\'Dec 28 2003, 09:48 PM\'] That makes me curious. Was Ray Combs, directly or undirectly, mentioned anytime in Feud 94 ?

[/quote]
Not that I recall. RIchard acted like the show hadn't been on the air in nine years during his 1994 tenure(and the returning champions from the previous season weren't even back until a month after the season began, as the second half of the hour long 1994-95 Feud shows had 4/5 of family teams from the original Feud returning to play again). Richard and Ray did co-host a Thanksgiving 1995 salute to Feud on GSN, but they didn't host their bits in the same studio IIRC. Richard's parts of it were rerun on Thanksgiving 2000 in an evening marathon. [/quote]
 Ah, but apparently he might have been mentioned on one '94 episode...

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=%22don%2....aol.com&rnum=1
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

Card Shark

« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2003, 09:33:07 AM »
[quote name=\'Stevek83\' date=\'Dec 28 2003, 09:48 PM\'] Thanks, but i thought his last show was in Fall '93. Thats what they said on the E! True Hollywood Story. [/quote]
 From what I remember from that special, they say that the final show of that season was taped in the fall of 1993 and they went on hiatus for several months. So, who the hell knows.
Adam Strom

uncamark

« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2003, 12:24:28 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Dec 28 2003, 07:45 PM\']At one time I thought Gene Wood was Canadian because  he also hosted "Anything You Can Do" (succeeded by Canadian Don "Charlie Farquarson" Harron.)  Maybe the models were Canadian???[/quote]
Two of the three "BTC" models were Canadian.  The one constant, Gail Sheldon, took the plane up to Montreal every taping session with Gene, Dick Hyman and the New York production staff--while Jack Narz and Stu Phelps (if neither Ira Skutch nor Paul Alter was directing) flew in from LA.

Don Howard

« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2003, 04:27:55 PM »
Wow. Thanks for the replies. I wonder about a couple of others. Ralph Story replacing Sonny Fox on The $64,000 Challenge and whether or not Bob Hilton had any last words on his last hosting day of Let's Make A Deal.