Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Final Episode For The Host Mentions  (Read 8967 times)

Don Howard

Final Episode For The Host Mentions
« on: December 27, 2003, 07:55:48 PM »
As a sequel to the popular Final Episode Mentions topic, are they any shows where the show continued yet the host was replaced where any mention of the switch was made? The most prominent examples, I guess, would be when Garry Moore left I've Got A Secret in the mid 1960s and To Tell The Truth in the mid 1970s and there was an official transition show. What others come to the minds of this panel?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2003, 07:56:34 PM by Don Howard »

BrandonFG

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2003, 07:58:45 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Dec 27 2003, 07:55 PM\'] As a sequel to the popular Final Episode Mentions topic, are they any shows where the show continued yet the host was replaced where any mention of the switch was made? The most prominent examples, I guess, would be when Garry Moore left I've Got A Secret in the mid 1960s and To Tell The Truth in the mid 1970s and there was an official transition show. What others come to the minds of this panel? [/quote]
 Richard Karn for Feud...when he walked onto the stage, he got a standing ovation. He didn't really mention being the host, per se, but you could tell the difference.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

zachhoran

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2003, 08:09:34 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Dec 27 2003, 07:55 PM\'] As a sequel to the popular Final Episode Mentions topic, are they any shows where the show continued yet the host was replaced where any mention of the switch was made? [/quote]
 When WOolery left Wheel, he gave a long speech at the end of his last show and Sajak gave a shorter one at the beginning of his first. Sajak of course mentioned his leaving Daytime WOF on his last show on that gig, but Rolf mentioned it was his first show on the premiere but didn't do a goodbye for his last show.

When Geoff left USA CHain Reaction for the second half of season one, he made a brief mention of Blake taking over.

Wink didn't mention his leaving TTD on his last episode, but Jim mentioned on his premiere episode that "I'm your new host...."

uncamark

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2003, 08:21:53 PM »
And there was no changing of the guard ceremony from Jack Kelly to Joe Garagiola on "$OTC"--Jack was there on Friday and all of a sudden Joe was standing in his place on Monday, with Bill Wendell identifying him as the new host.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2003, 08:23:20 PM »
I've seen clips of Ralph Edwards introducing rookie host Bob Barker on "Truth or Consequences."  Didn't Hugh Downs give the reins to Bob Clayton on camera?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2003, 08:31:38 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Dec 27 2003, 06:09 PM\'] Wink didn't mention his leaving TTD on his last episode, but Jim mentioned on his premiere episode that "I'm your new host...." [/quote]
 ...and it was the one thing he got right for his entire run. ;)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

uncamark

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2003, 08:32:24 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Dec 27 2003, 08:23 PM\']I've seen clips of Ralph Edwards introducing rookie host Bob Barker on "Truth or Consequences."[/quote]
Actually, Ralph's blessing was on the first NBC daytime episode.  Jack Bailey and Steve Dunne had hosted "T or C" in unsuccessful prime time runs (and Edwards did one unsuccessful TV run in 1948) before Barker got the job that changed his life.

One of the weirder things about the 1987 revival is that Edwards' blessing of Larry Anderson (with him giving Anderson the replica of the original Beulah the Buzzer that he gave every "T or C" host--a tube that the person blew into instead of something electrical, like we would think) ran in the middle of the run, instead of the beginning.  Considering that we were well into the era of satellite delivery of syndicated shows, one would think that the particular show would be the first one to air, or at the least during the first week.

Didn't Hugh Downs give the reins to Bob Clayton on camera?

Seems to me that Ed McMahon's stint on the show came between Hugh and Clayton getting the job for good.  Clayton was still the announcer during Ed's stint.

Steve McClellan

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2003, 09:12:28 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Dec 27 2003, 05:23 PM\'] Didn't Hugh Downs give the reins to Bob Clayton on camera? [/quote]
 Yes he did, on the 1968 Christmas episode. Bob Clayton and Victor Borge both play the game dressed as Santa (their identities aren't revealed until the end), and Hugh passes the proverbial torch to Bob at the show's conclusion.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2003, 10:15:35 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Dec 27 2003, 07:09 PM\'] When WOolery left Wheel, he gave a long speech at the end of his last show and Sajak gave a shorter one at the beginning of his first. Sajak of course mentioned his leaving Daytime WOF on his last show on that gig, but Rolf mentioned it was his first show on the premiere but didn't do a goodbye for his last show.
 [/quote]
 That being said, one could look at the credit roll for the final Rolf WoF and tell it was likely the last one--the NBC camera operators got screen credit (as they did on the final episodes of GO!, $otC, SP and SCRABBLE [84-90]).

I have this vague recollection of camera operators being a credit for at least one  airing of CLASSIC CONCENTRATION (sometime in 1987 or 1988), but subsequent credit rolls didn't include them (I don't know if the last one did--I never saw the final week of CC).

BTW, was that final week ever rerun in September 1992, or did they just jump right back to 1987 with no advance warning?

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

zachhoran

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2003, 10:21:31 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Dec 27 2003, 10:15 PM\']

I have this vague recollection of camera operators being a credit for at least one  airing of CLASSIC CONCENTRATION (sometime in 1987 or 1988), but subsequent credit rolls didn't include them (I don't know if the last one did--I never saw the final week of CC).

BTW, was that final week ever rerun in September 1992, or did they just jump right back to 1987 with no advance warning?

Doug [/quote]
 They reran the finale in SUmmer 1992 IIRC. After that, they went to SUmmer 1990 in the reruns. A few months later, they jumped back to 1987-88. The August 1988-Summer 1990 shows with the two-out-of-three format were not repeated.

whewfan

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2003, 11:27:55 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Dec 27 2003, 08:09 PM\']

When Geoff left USA CHain Reaction for the second half of season one, he made a brief mention of Blake taking over.

[/quote]
 Actually, Blake was the FIRST host of Chain Reaction. Geoff told me that Canada had a rule that ONLY Canadian personalities could host Canadian game shows.
Blake's "hosting" was so horrid, Bob Stewart tried to find a loophole to replace Blake with Geoff.  The Canadian TV "powers that be" made a compromise. Geoff got to host, but announcer Rod Chalabois would appear on camera at the beginning and end of the show (for the "Missing Link" puzzles), since he is Canadian.

zachhoran

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2003, 07:58:41 AM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' date=\'Dec 27 2003, 11:27 PM\']
Actually, Blake was the FIRST host of Chain Reaction. Geoff told me that Canada had a rule that ONLY Canadian personalities could host Canadian game shows.
Blake's "hosting" was so horrid, Bob Stewart tried to find a loophole to replace Blake with Geoff.  The Canadian TV "powers that be" made a compromise. Geoff got to host, but announcer Rod Chalabois would appear on camera at the beginning and end of the show (for the "Missing Link" puzzles), since he is Canadian. [/quote]
 Art James was able to host the US-syndicated, Canadian-taped SUper Pay Cards since Mary Lou Basaraba was a Canadian, and Michael Reagan was able to host the original Lingo, also done in Canada, since Dusty Martell is Canadian. Geoff wasn't the only non-Canadian to host a US-aired, Canadian-based show. Jim Perry is from NJ and hosted a short-lived US syndicated, Canadian-taped show, Money Makers, in the late 60s.

Card Shark

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2003, 09:39:41 AM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Dec 27 2003, 07:55 PM\'] As a sequel to the popular Final Episode Mentions topic, are they any shows where the show continued yet the host was replaced where any mention of the switch was made? The most prominent examples, I guess, would be when Garry Moore left I've Got A Secret in the mid 1960s and To Tell The Truth in the mid 1970s and there was an official transition show. What others come to the minds of this panel? [/quote]
 Why did Gary Moore leave these shows?
Adam Strom

BrandonFG

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2003, 01:00:12 PM »
[quote name=\'Card Shark\' date=\'Dec 28 2003, 09:39 AM\'] [quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Dec 27 2003, 07:55 PM\'] As a sequel to the popular Final Episode Mentions topic, are they any shows where the show continued yet the host was replaced where any mention of the switch was made? The most prominent examples, I guess, would be when Garry Moore left I've Got A Secret in the mid 1960s and To Tell The Truth in the mid 1970s and there was an official transition show. What others come to the minds of this panel? [/quote]
Why did Gary Moore leave these shows? [/quote]
 Wasn't the reason for leaving TTTT because he had throat surgery, or something to that effect?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

calliaume

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2003, 01:18:50 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Dec 28 2003, 01:00 PM\'] [quote name=\'Card Shark\' date=\'Dec 28 2003, 09:39 AM\'] [quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Dec 27 2003, 07:55 PM\'] As a sequel to the popular Final Episode Mentions topic, are they any shows where the show continued yet the host was replaced where any mention of the switch was made? The most prominent examples, I guess, would be when Garry Moore left I've Got A Secret in the mid 1960s and To Tell The Truth in the mid 1970s and there was an official transition show. What others come to the minds of this panel? [/quote]
Why did Gary Moore leave these shows? [/quote]
Wasn't the reason for leaving TTTT because he had throat surgery, or something to that effect? [/quote]
 Throat surgery prompted Moore's leave from the show in 1977; he decided to retire after recuperating, with Garagiola taking over permanently.

Moore left I've Got a Secret and his own variety show in 1964, claiming he was tired (and he was going on a one-year around-the-world cruise).  He was back with a new variety show in 1966, but going up against Bonanza, it bombed.

I still have a theory that Moore, who was a member of Alcoholics Anonymous later in life (according to TTTT exec producer Gil Fates, who wrote about it in his What's My Line? book) that Moore took the time between 1964 and 1966 off to dry out, in which case it was time well spent.