Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New pricing game on TPIR on Mon. Sept. 23  (Read 5676 times)

BillCullen1

New pricing game on TPIR on Mon. Sept. 23
« on: September 21, 2013, 01:23:33 PM »

According to the gameshownewsnet.com website, a new pricing game is unveiled on the season premiere of TPIR on Mon., Sept. 23. It\'s called \"Do The Math.\" There\'s also a thread about this on the golden-road.net website. I do believe this is the fifth new game being introduced during Drew Carey\'s tenure as host. I will be sure to record it.

Bryce L.

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 03:51:49 PM »

And taken from that golden-road.net thread, here\'s a video posted by CBS showing a playing of the new game (minor spoilers)

http://www.cbspressexpress.com/cbs-entertainment/video?watch=4zwc1ahy6h\'>http://www.cbspressexpress.com/cbs-entertainment/video?watch=4zwc1ahy6h

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 04:06:05 PM »

If people couldn\'t figure out that a box of goldfish crackers at $25.70 is ten times $2.57, this game is going to be a blast.

--Mark
Phil 4:13

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 04:08:04 PM »
If you strip away the doing of math part it boils down to 2/3rds of Most Expensive. I guess you can\'t have enough either-or games that offer two prizes.
Travis L. Eberle

whewfan

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, 04:25:30 PM »

I believe this game was created by Scott, so at least they have this pricing game to remember his tenure on the show. 

BrandonFG

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 04:44:18 PM »

It took me a second to grasp that...am I the only one who thought Drew kinda fumbled the explanation?

The game itself is actually pretty clever...seems like a spin on Check Game. But yeah, I could see contestants getting tripped up on this one.

"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

mmb5

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2013, 08:31:53 AM »

I was really hoping for a game where you had to guess which prize had its actual retail price was multiplied by π, and which one was multiplied by e.

Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2013, 08:40:41 AM »

I was really hoping for a game where you had to guess which prize had its actual retail price was multiplied by π, and which one was multiplied by e.

\"Stop being irrational!\", said the math teacher.

The Pyramids

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2013, 02:32:27 PM »

If this is the fifth new game Drew has introduced, what games have been retired in the past six years? 

Bryce L.

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2013, 02:38:56 PM »

If this is the fifth new game Drew has introduced, what games have been retired in the past six years? 

Barker\'s Markers/Make Your Mark, Buy or Sell, Clearance Sale, Credit Card (we think, hasn\'t been played since October 2008 but no announcement of it being retired), Joker, Poker Game (both of those last two had their last playings with Barker)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2013, 03:07:28 PM »
Of all the games that have been put out to pasture, the one that I say \"huh, that\'s too bad\" is Buy or Sell.
Travis L. Eberle

SamJ93

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2013, 04:37:35 AM »
I dunno, I thought Make Your Mark was a clever twist on the Monty Hall Problem. It\'s a shame that it met its end due to nothing more than a silly mistake by Drew that could have easily been corrected.
It's a well-known fact that Lincoln loved mayonnaise!

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2013, 05:06:59 AM »

I dunno, I thought Make Your Mark was a clever twist on the Monty Hall Problem. It\'s a shame that it met its end due to nothing more than a silly mistake by Drew that could have easily been corrected.

As opposed to it simply being shelved for having zero strategy to it?

Granted, a lot of these pricing games follow the same basic formula (look at these prizes, how much are they), but to me Make Your Mark just wasn\'t a very well thought out game.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

jmangin

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2013, 06:44:08 AM »

I\'m not calling shenanigans on you specifically, but has a source for this reason for retirement ever been confirmed by someone affiliated with production of the show?

Bryce L.

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2013, 07:17:09 AM »

If anyone here would know if a staffer has confirmed the story, it would likely be Steve Gavazzi, since it\'s in the Golden-Road.net FAQ (which he largely wrote) about why that game was retired (Drew mangling the rules and them retiring it on those grounds).

« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 07:19:24 AM by Bryce L. »