Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Behind the scenes with Press Your Luck (circa 1983)  (Read 13146 times)

dazztardly

Behind the scenes with Press Your Luck (circa 1983)
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2013, 03:30:34 PM »

Wow, I\'m impressed. That shot really gives an idea of how huge that board is. If anyone here were to put an estimate on how tall it is, what would you figure?

I\'ve read through various sources that it was about 20 feet tall. I can only imagine the time it took to strike the set....

Tyshaun

Makes me wonder...  For G$M\'s PYL, was the board structure\'s spec the same or scaled-down?

It was a scaled-down, smaller size. They used the big board computer hardware from Whammy, for the remake. Some of the video screens used in the board, had to be mounted sideways to accommodate the inside top and bottom rows. The show logo didn\'t light up either, it was a welded sign. The inside arches of the logo, were removable to allow cameras to film from behind the game board.

-Dan

Isn\'t that how some of the camera work on the original series was carried out as well? Cameras inside the board, shooting from inside the arches of the logo?

I believe so, yes.

http://www.press-your-luck.com/images/1500PlusSlide.jpg\'>http://www.press-your-luck.com/images/1500PlusSlide.jpg - Here\'s one of original projector slides made for the show.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2013, 04:34:47 PM »

I had no idea the audience was so close to the set. Even taking into account how TV makes things look larger, the audience is really close. The shots on TV made them look much further away.

That\'s because when they shot in 33, we (the viewing audience) generally only saw the back of the studio. When I got to see the show in \'86, we were MUCH closer than I thought we\'d be. Still, the big board was HUGE.

Tyshaun

Having been in 33, I always wondered about that. I guess the studio audience probably just looked at the studio monitors when contestants were spinning, because a large part of the board must have been obscured because of the sunken audience area.  I don\'t think they stayed in 33 for long.

Awesome photo - I\'d love to see some from the back of the board - if any exist!

For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Bryce L.

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2013, 05:45:16 PM »

I had no idea the audience was so close to the set. Even taking into account how TV makes things look larger, the audience is really close. The shots on TV made them look much further away.

That\'s because when they shot in 33, we (the viewing audience) generally only saw the back of the studio. When I got to see the show in \'86, we were MUCH closer than I thought we\'d be. Still, the big board was HUGE.

Tyshaun

Having been in 33, I always wondered about that. I guess the studio audience probably just looked at the studio monitors when contestants were spinning, because a large part of the board must have been obscured because of the sunken audience area.  I don\'t think they stayed in 33 for long.

Awesome photo - I\'d love to see some from the back of the board - if any exist!

Send a message on facebook to Rick Stern... he\'s the one who shared this picture. If any were to exist, they would likely be in his possession, I\'m betting.

cmjb13

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2013, 08:51:43 PM »
43 originally had a sunken audience like 33 until it was filled in with concrete.

I remember taking a tour of 43 while Bold & the beautiful was taping. I remember they were filming a lake scene in a pool when I saw a guy using what looked like a mini forklift. I later saw it as the unit that drove the TPIR train/tugboat minus the shell.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2013, 09:53:49 PM »

43 originally had a sunken audience like 33 until it was filled in with concrete.

I remember taking a tour of 43 while Bold & the beautiful was taping. I remember they were filming a lake scene in a pool when I saw a guy using what looked like a mini forklift. I later saw it as the unit that drove the TPIR train/tugboat minus the shell.

I thought that 31 was the studio which used to have the sunken-in seating.

EDIT: http://www.j-shea.com/TVCity/Schematic01.html\'>Yup, I was right...

« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 09:56:35 PM by NicholasM79 »

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2013, 04:15:34 AM »

I thought that 31 was the studio which used to have the sunken-in seating.

EDIT: http://www.j-shea.com/TVCity/Schematic01.html\'>Yup, I was right...

You could sometimes tell when they were in (31?) I believe, because it was the same studio Tattletales was taped in.  Up until the time TT was cancelled, you could see the colored steps designating what section the audience member was sitting in.

--Mark
Phil 4:13

cmjb13

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2013, 07:02:28 AM »
I stand corrected, you are right. 31 not 43
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS