Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Best thrift store/garage sale game show find?  (Read 13196 times)

BrandonFG

Best thrift store/garage sale game show find?
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2013, 09:02:12 AM »

Macklemore would be proud of you guys. ;-)

I think my biggest pickup was the 80s $25,000 Pyramid game from Cardinal, which I bought for $2-3 about 10 years ago...I keep saying I\'ll break it out for Game Night, but that has yet to happen. :-P

The one rarity I wish I had bought was a LMaD board game from Ideal, made c. 1974. I was in high school when I saw it at a flea market, and I think it went for about $10. Wanted it dearly, but I think it was just a little too steep for me at the time, and it prolly wouldn\'t have gotten much play at the time.

"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

nowhammies10

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2013, 10:22:21 AM »

Boy, let\'s see...

• MB Win, Lose, or Draw 1st edition, like new

• MB Password 1st, 2nd, 7th, 25th Anniversary editions, all in fairly good condition.  The 2nd edition had an extra pair of leatherettes

• Endless TPIR 2nd Edition (the good one), also like new.  Two sets of dice, five white with black pips as it came with the game, and four red with white pips for Dice Game.

• Ideal $64,000 Question in okay condition

• Pressman Electric Jeopardy!; the buzzers don\'t work as well as they once did; the buzzer with the battery inside seems to override either of the other two.  All slides intact

• Endless Donnymid home game, in great condition.  Bought it more for my Mom as she had a huge crush on Donny Osmond back in the day.

• Australian Wheel of Fortune 2nd edition, otherwise like Pressman\'s editions of the day except for a tan puzzleboard with a border reminiscent of the original three-line puzzleboard, which the Aussies used well into the \'80s.

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2013, 10:51:43 AM »

I\'ve acquired the 70\'s version of Jackpot while I was a sophomore in College, and Electric Jeopardy! a couple of years back.

I\'ve been on the lookout every now and again, but no list of desired games. 

mystery7

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2013, 03:15:27 PM »

I\'ve had my share of finds. Thrifts are kind of hitsy-missy, but I do find some nice things now and then:

Who What Or Where for 97 cents. Decent shape.

Pay Cards!, barely played for $1.99 (although it may have been half-off)

A Jeopardy! Challenger for $.69 - complete in the box with manual and even the styrofoam that holds things in place.

Flea markets are the best, though:

I bought a serviceable copy of Jack Barry\'s Tic Tac Dough and a super-nice Second Edition Match Game together for $1.50.

My first-edition Jeopardy! board game cost a buck. Cover\'s rough and a dollar tab is missing but it\'s hanging in there.

I splurged on my Bill Cullen Price Is Right. I think that was $6. But it\'s all there.

Now all I have to do is find the Jeopardy! and Password Plus 8-tracks for my Milton Bradley OMNI system and I\'ll be set.

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2013, 03:41:47 PM »
Two more finds I remembered: The Jeopardy! Book and Noreen Wald\'s book Contestant, both in very good shape.

Does eBay count as a thrift store/garage sale? If so, the two Wheel of Fortune games from 1975 (both in decent shape) are easily my best find.

• Australian Wheel of Fortune 2nd edition, otherwise like Pressman\'s editions of the day except for a tan puzzleboard with a border reminiscent of the original three-line puzzleboard, which the Aussies used well into the \'80s.

80s? Man, they were still using it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDdW6vYb_cM&t=23m49s\'>well into 1992!

I\'ve acquired the 70\'s version of Jackpot while I was a sophomore in College,

Because I\'m curious, which cover do you have on your copy?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 01:31:32 PM by Dan88 »
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

urbanpreppie05

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2013, 04:17:43 PM »

The biggest two, in the last three months courtesy of Red, White and Blue:

• An unused version of the UK\'s Golden Balls, complete with battries from Tesco

• A near unused version of the DVD game for Australia\'s Temptation.

insert signature here

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2013, 05:30:40 PM »

Like Matt, have been at this for a long time. Thrift stores probably make up a quarter of the collection, but among the favorites -

Make A Face (found two incomplete copies over the years so I could cobblejob one complete set)

Twenty-One

Down You Go

It Takes Two

A Question Of Sport

By The Numbers

Two For The Money

Stump The Stars

Play Your Hunch

$64,000 Question Junior

Jan Murray\'s Treasure Hunt

« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 05:31:17 PM by The Ol' Guy »

JepMasta

« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2013, 06:32:05 PM »

maybe I\'m just a neophyte, but, I am wondering, how to British and Aussie game show games wind up at American flea markets and thrift shops

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2013, 06:49:52 PM »
My guess is that it was brought over as a gift or memento (I scoped out the toy and game shops in both England and Italy) only to find out that the recipient didn\'t like the game all that much. That would certainly explain the complete and nearly perfect copy of Pandemic that I snagged a month ago for two bucks.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2013, 06:51:17 PM »

That would certainly explain the complete and nearly perfect copy of Pandemic that I snagged a month ago for two bucks.

That and a distinct lack of taste on the part of the original owner. :)

Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2013, 06:53:06 PM »
At least they opened the game up! The Ticket to Ride I have was still hermetically sealed.
Travis L. Eberle

JepMasta

« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2013, 07:48:28 PM »

so you\'ve got a ticket to ride?  I have to ask...do you care?

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2013, 08:34:56 PM »
I suspect that\'s why Alan named it what he did, so people could make really easy references.
Travis L. Eberle

JepMasta

« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2013, 08:44:05 PM »

hey, i calls \'em like I sees \'em

gamed121683

« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2013, 10:21:38 PM »

At least they opened the game up! The Ticket to Ride I have was still hermetically sealed.

In a mayonnaise jar on Funk & Wagnall\'s porch?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 10:21:59 PM by gamed121683 »