Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Quizmaster" Bill Cullen biography available now!  (Read 35160 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
"Quizmaster" Bill Cullen biography available now!
« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2013, 12:12:14 AM »

The Kindle app works very, very well on the smaller iDevices, comparing quite favorably to an actual Kindle, especially if you have good eyesight and don\'t mind reading small text on a small screen. (Of course, you don\'t even have to do that if you don\'t mind a few extra page turns.) The only drawback is that you can\'t sideload your own books onto it, but that\'s easy enough to accomplish with iBooks and something like Calibre for conversion.

(I actually found myself going back to the e-ink Kindle for serious reading over my Fire, because I realized just how much I love reading on an e-ink screen.)

« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 12:18:36 AM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2013, 12:17:55 AM »
Bought the kindle version because the price was right and saw this:

This version of the book may be slightly abridged from the print version.

Is this a normal thing?

Setting that aside, looking forward to late night reading. If there\'s a hardback version sometime, I might be willing to kill some trees for that.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

clemon79

« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2013, 12:22:39 AM »

Is that in the legal boilerplate for the book itself? It may be there to cover themselves because the photos had to be resized for digital publication, I\'m sure. I doubt the text itself is abridged even a little, if at all.

cacLA8383

« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2013, 12:58:19 AM »

Adam also did his first interview on the book plus talk about other things with the boys of Game Show Newsnet. Almost an hour, and a great listen.

http://www.clw83.com/2013/07/08/wlti-live-13-season-2-premiere/\'>Interview begins in between 1:16:00 and 1:17:00.

tvmitch

« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2013, 11:02:16 AM »

Hooray, Kindle version. Terrific news. Instantly bought a copy as promised. Pleased to see that the book is high on the Kindle sales charts too.

Adam, I would love to know, in percentages and without revealing sales numbers, the split between digital and hardcopy orders, after a period of time. 

And I\'ll echo Mr. Lemon\'s point that the ALL-CAPS book title is cringeworthy and should be fixed.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 11:03:18 AM by tvmitch »
You should follow me on Twitter

clemon79

« Reply #50 on: July 10, 2013, 11:33:44 AM »

And I\'ll echo Mr. Lemon\'s point that the ALL-CAPS book title is cringeworthy and should be fixed.

I\'m working on this; I have an email in to BearManor pointing this out and also pointing out that other titles under their umbrella have Kindle Store entries that aren\'t all-capped.

(I do note that it\'s made its way into the search results now; hooray! And another point in BearManor\'s favor: unlike some small publishing houses, the quality of the Kindle conversion, from what I could tell of the sample, is quite good.)

BrandonFG

« Reply #51 on: July 10, 2013, 11:42:04 AM »

(I do note that it\'s made its way into the search results now; hooray! And another point in BearManor\'s favor: unlike some small publishing houses, the quality of the Kindle conversion, from what I could tell of the sample, is quite good.)

I\'ll echo this. I checked out a few pages and it looks fine.

"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Casey

« Reply #52 on: July 10, 2013, 05:35:04 PM »

I picked up the Kindle version last night (I happen to be reading it on an iPad) - it\'s an excellent read, and as others have said, the Kindle version appears to be quite good.  Other books I have Kindle versions of don\'t always get formatted quite correctly, but this book has had no issues.   It\'s a very interested read - I\'m enjoying it immensely.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 05:35:33 PM by isucgv »

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #53 on: July 10, 2013, 09:12:21 PM »

Since you kids with your fancy technologies threw a bit of a snit over whether this would even come out in e-form in the first place, I want to post my own old-person snit.  Instant gratification is a wonderful thing and I get that the e-books are electronically poofed right into your iThings.  Still, it will bother me something awful if, by paying substantially more for the physical thing that I have to think still drives the BearManor business model, I have to wait weeks before they actually get around to printing them while the rest of you are electronically enjoying all that Nedeff goodness. 

I might very well have been the first person to place a traditional order.  That was on July 1, when the website clearly indicated the book was \"in stock\".  Now I\'m hearing that the actual publication date is July 17, though the electronic version is available immediately.  That\'s not sitting well with me.

This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #54 on: July 10, 2013, 09:21:21 PM »
That\'s totally valid, but I\'ll say this. I wasn\'t going to pay $30 for a book to wedge between Victoria Coren and Bob Harris on the shelf. I\'m happy to pay $10 for a digital copy that I can carry around with hundreds of other books.

In the same way that Craig\'s List shifted the classified ad paradigm, so too did the Kindle upset the paperback book cart.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

« Reply #55 on: July 10, 2013, 09:28:57 PM »

I don\'t think Matt is complaining that we get bits for cheaper, I think he\'s complaining that the BearManor dude (and, yeah, it\'s mostly one dude) is a little sloppy in a suspicious manner with regard to communicating whether his product is actually in stock or not. And I agree that releasing the Kindle version earlier than he ships his actual print orders seems a little stupid from a business standpoint. I\'d have been happy to wait a while if I knew a Kindle version was coming in order for them to maximize early-supporter physical sales.

The fact that my email from yesterday has as yet gone unreplied-to is not thrilling me, either.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 09:31:30 PM by clemon79 »

carlisle96

« Reply #56 on: July 10, 2013, 09:49:45 PM »

Since you kids with your fancy technologies threw a bit of a snit over whether this would even come out in e-form in the first place, I want to post my own old-person snit.  Instant gratification is a wonderful thing and I get that the e-books are electronically poofed right into your iThings.  Still, it will bother me something awful if, by paying substantially more for the physical thing that I have to think still drives the BearManor business model, I have to wait weeks before they actually get around to printing them while the rest of you are electronically enjoying all that Nedeff goodness. 

I might very well have been the first person to place a traditional order.  That was on July 1, when the website clearly indicated the book was \"in stock\".  Now I\'m hearing that the actual publication date is July 17, though the electronic version is available immediately.  That\'s not sitting well with me.

I placed my order thorugh Amazon for a physical book. Reading all these entries about all these different electronic devices has left me totally confused about what works best and how they work. I\'m no Luddite, though. E-books are great for some. My wife swears by her Kindle.  But simplicity works best for me even if I have to shell out extra and wait a bit longer

Adam Nedeff

« Reply #57 on: July 10, 2013, 10:31:48 PM »

I want to step in right now and say that right now, in the Television category, the Kindle version is #15, between Wil Wheaton\'s memoirs and a book about Dr. Who. In the \"regular\" book rankings, it\'s at #61. I was hoping this book would have an audience, but my expectations were never THAT high. Thank you all!

SuperMatch93

« Reply #58 on: July 11, 2013, 01:43:48 AM »
Haven\'t gotten around to ordering a physical copy yet (intend to do so while I\'m still in Iowa so I get it when I\'m back in town), because although I have a NOOKColor, I only really use it for school and I feel like a tome like this should be printed.

/Schwartz, Ryan, Wostbrock, Nedeff.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

clemon79

« Reply #59 on: July 11, 2013, 02:42:26 AM »

The fact that my email from yesterday has as yet gone unreplied-to is not thrilling me, either.

An update: he did indeed reply to me, thanking me for the feedback and saying he would try to have it taken care of soon.