Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Show Garbage inducts Thou$and Dollar Bee  (Read 9043 times)

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Game Show Garbage inducts Thou$and Dollar Bee
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2013, 10:56:57 PM »
Censorship, hell. The GR debacle was my last straw.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2013, 11:57:46 PM »

But – uh – back to SuperMatch93\'s point TDB\'s induction into GSG is long overdue. That\'s a point I 100% agree with.

Except that by saying something like that, you and a handful of others are giving the website far more credence than it deserves in the first place.  You guys are talking about this like it\'s a Grand Important Institution in our little fandom, and frankly, I\'ve barely heard of it.

The tag line for this particular entry, the thing that\'s supposed to grab you and make you want to read more, says \"The only bee that enforced stereotypes rather than being worth anything at the end.\"  I\'m not even sure what that means.  Apparently there\'s a whole history with this site and a bunch of you that I thankfully managed to avoid, but I just don\'t see why I\'m supposed to care about the written criticisms of a writer who writes that badly.

This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2013, 12:14:00 AM »

but I just don\'t see why I\'m supposed to care about the written criticisms of a writer who writes that badly.

You aren\'t.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2013, 12:15:59 AM »

Yeah, I don\'t think people realize when they refer to these articles as \"inductions,\" it\'s coming off as incredibly self-important on the author\'s behalf, for lack of a better way to put it.

Tonight, I am inducting broccoli into my personal Awful Vegetable Hall of Fame. See? Nobody gives a crap. Nor should they, because anyone who gives a rip about what vegetables I do or do not like seriously needs to reexamine their priorities.

This. Guy. Does. Not. Matter. If you disagree with me and think he does, fine; I\'ll happily dismiss you as a tosser. But if you agree with me, I urge you not to bestow any more credibility on him than he deserves. Which, from the looks of his work, is next to none.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 02:41:12 AM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Kevin Prather

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2013, 05:06:58 AM »

Tonight, I am inducting broccoli into my personal Awful Vegetable Hall of Fame.

You just lost your credibility. Broccoli is delicious.

dmota104

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2013, 08:59:13 AM »

At the end of the day, am I defending GSG?  Overall, no.  Am I trying to be fair?  That\'s a bit more like it.

There are posts and inductions I disagree with.  For example, I don\'t think \"Name That Video\" was all that bad.  In fact, one of my then radio co-workers and I spoke of NTV fondly during its run on VH1.   We often found ourselves quoting the bonus round catch phrase.  \"Name ten of these and you get the keys.\"

On the other side of the coin, I think Seidelman\'s induction of \"It\'s Torture!\" hit a home run.  Until the induction, I had never heard of \"It\'s Torture!\", never read its entry on UKGameShows.com and never saw video.  Now that I\'m aware of \"It\'s Torture!\" and later read the entry and saw video, I wonder why ITV and TVS allowed the show to air.  

Just like \"Secrets of the Cryptkeeper\'s Haunted House\" here in the states, it\'s a good thing \"Torture!\" didn\'t last beyond its first season (or series to use their terminology).

« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 09:02:02 AM by dmota104 »

SuperMatch93

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2013, 11:34:11 AM »

For the record, the only reason I linked to this is because I remember when TDB was a minor meme here, back when it was on Mike Klauss\'s old site. I do understand that GSG has had a tenuous relationship with just about every serious game show website in existence, and I remember reading the G-R \"induction\" the day it came out and thinking, \"Welp, all credibility that he had at one point or could\'ve had at some point is out the window.\"

Sometimes, after reading something of his, I like to watch an episode of AVGN (my favorite is the Dick Tracy one) to remind myself that criticism and comedy can co-exist... if written well.

-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

clemon79

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2013, 11:40:33 AM »

At the end of the day, am I defending GSG?  Overall, no. Am I trying to be fair?  That\'s a bit more like it.

At the end of the day, you are lending it credibility that it does not deserve.

That, and not what side of the line you come down on, is what is making you look terribly foolish.

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2013, 11:50:07 AM »

And at the end of the day, you shouldn\'t force people to have a popular opinion. Let them have their own opinion on GSG, no matter how unpopular it is here.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2013, 12:08:13 PM »

And at the end of the day, you shouldn\'t force people to have a popular opinion.

Who here is doing that?
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2013, 01:19:47 PM »

And at the end of the day, you shouldn\'t force people to have a popular opinion.

Who here is doing that?

Yes, I\'m keen to know the answer to this myself.

dmota104

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2013, 01:38:42 PM »

Sometimes, after reading something of his, I like to watch an episode of AVGN (my favorite is the Dick Tracy one) to remind myself that criticism and comedy can co-exist... if written well.

Amen and amen. 

If anyone from GSG is reading this thread, may you strive to swing for the fences instead of aiming to hit below the belt.

aaron sica

« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2013, 04:34:02 PM »

And at the end of the day, you shouldn\'t force people to have a popular opinion. Let them have their own opinion on GSG, no matter how unpopular it is here.

Grownups are speaking.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2013, 05:00:03 PM »
You know, GSL actually makes a completely valid point.

Quality and stuff like that aside, the fact is that in spite of all that, GSG has found a rather large fan base since it was launched. What that may say about the fan base is another story. But this is something that as much as it may boggle our minds can\'t be ignored. Just as it isn\'t smart of him to stretch as far as he does to find inductions, it also isn\'t fully fair to dismiss the site as irrelevant either. And although I\'ve agreed with Chris L. on his points here the broccoli point was just unnecessarily childish.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2013, 05:13:19 PM »
How big a fanbase could it be?
Travis L. Eberle