Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What if Match Game didn't leave its timeslot in 1977?  (Read 6750 times)

Vahan_Nisanian

What if Match Game didn't leave its timeslot in 1977?
« on: June 20, 2013, 11:58:50 AM »

Let\'s play \"What if\".

What if Match Game didn\'t leave its 3:30 p.m. timeslot for 11:00 a.m.? How much longer do you think it would have gone on? Would it have still moved to daily Syndication anyways?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 12:32:47 PM »

I picked up a bag of Nerds Jellybeans on National Discount Candy Day. (One of those floating holidays; in this case, every year, the Monday after Easter Sunday.) If you\'re the sort of person whose favorite part of the jellybean is the sugar coating, I recommend them.

Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 12:39:34 PM »
Couple days ago I was having a rough go of it at Family Business, Incorporated. I came back from the afternoon mail drop to find a \"Fun Size\" $100,000 bar on my desk with a note from my sister. It was nice to know that someone out there is looking out for me and knows my candy preferences.
Travis L. Eberle

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 01:34:50 PM »

Guys, I wanna know what do you think might have happened?

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 01:37:05 PM »
We know you want that. For one, I was -3 years old at that point, so how should I know? For two, what do I care? I think if MG doesn\'t leave the timeslot in 1977 Gene Rayburn decides to leave the show so he can concentrate more on his needlepoint.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 02:16:10 PM »

$100,000 bar you say? Mmmm. That\'s one of those luxuries I only seem to afford myself around Halloween for some reason, and I don\'t know why \'cuz it\'s one of my favorites as well.

BrandonFG

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 02:23:14 PM »

(sigh) Fine. I\'ll bite.

Wasn\'t Family Feud putting a dent in Match Game\'s daytime ratings by 1977? Maybe the show was just losing steam, esp. after Richard left. The post-Richard episodes are still okay, but by 1980, Match Game was just getting long in the tooth. So to answer the question, I don\'t think it would\'ve gone on any longer than any of the syndicated versions did (up until 1982). Difference is, there wouldn\'t have been a syndicated daily run, just MGPM and the CBS version.

There. This really isn\'t an issue that can be speculated with any solid commentary because there\'s nothing pointing to one answer over another.

"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 02:26:47 PM »

\"What if\" questions are difficult to answer.  TPIR went from morning to afternoon to morning with little harm done.  Maybe they thought it would work with MG.  When MG moved back to afternoon, a good number of stations didn\'t clear it anymore.

Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2013, 02:34:24 PM »

Wasn\'t Family Feud putting a dent in Match Game\'s daytime ratings by 1977?

If not then, at least by 1978.
Travis L. Eberle

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2013, 04:32:53 PM »

I picked up a bag of Nerds Jellybeans on National Discount Candy Day. (One of those floating holidays; in this case, every year, the Monday after Easter Sunday.)

It floats?  I thought it was always on February 15th. 

Although, I do see how you can hurt the brand of National Discount Candy Day if you keep moving its timeslot.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 04:33:32 PM by Mr. Armadillo »

carlisle96

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2013, 05:08:01 PM »

some soap opera expanding to an hour probably would have knocked it off anyway, morning or afternoon

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2013, 05:27:58 PM »
Maybe, just maybe could it be because the show wasn\'t funny anymore? Could it just be that the questions weren\'t hitting anymore and the liquid lunch-fueled episodes were just as predictable and staid? Throw in the fact that they lost Richard Dawson, who I imagine was a huge female draw, to a competing show. Toss in the fact that the show was on twice a day in some markets, and the well probably just dried up way quicker than the producers expected.

I haven\'t had $100,000 in a while. I think I\'ll try to find one tonight- either that or a Take 5.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2013, 05:47:11 PM »
What the hell\'s the matter with you people? Are you from Mars or something? $100k bars are 85c at my friendly local, and that gets you two fun sized bits. Hardly a king\'s ransom.

/I refuse to dignify the new and less awesome name \"100 Grand.\" Yack.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2013, 06:37:00 PM »

What the hell\'s the matter with you people? Are you from Mars or something? $100k bars are 85c at my friendly local, and that gets you two fun sized bits. Hardly a king\'s ransom.

Why you little bastards, I remember being appalled when the price of a candy bar went UP to fifty cents.

/lawn, onion, et. al.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2013, 07:10:27 PM »
Can we please not turn this into another \"Rando-Quiz\" thread? He asked a legit question for once. Save the jacking for when he\'ll deserve it.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022