Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Win Lose or Draw at CBS Television City  (Read 7435 times)

davemackey

Win Lose or Draw at CBS Television City
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2013, 10:23:43 AM »

Jack Clark was the first announcer on the CBS Pyramid in the 80\'s, and it was mostly Johnny Gilbert on the syndicated shows, but it seemed like there wasn\'t an announcer in Hollywood who DIDN\'T do Pyramid at one time. If you add in the many New York voices, Pyramid has had probably more announcers than any other game show: Bob Clayton, Fred Foy, Steve O\'Brien, Dick Heatherton, Ed Jordan, Scott Vincent, John Causier, Alan Kalter, Jack Clark, Johnny Gilbert, Charlie O\'Donnell, Bob Hilton, Rod Roddy, Dean Goss, Charlie Tuna, Jerry Bishop, Henry Polic II, John Cramer, J.D. Roberto. I think I got em all.

TimK2003

Win Lose or Draw at CBS Television City
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2013, 01:36:30 PM »

Probably just availability. Dunno if Bob still anchored at the time, but that could\'ve been an issue; Gene had Super Password and eventually Feud, so there might\'ve been a point where he couldn\'t do three shows, even if two of them taped in the same studio or on the same lot. The 80s version of Pyramid never really had a consistent announcer either.

True, but I was mainly talking about how both of them would be heard on the same episode. Gene would do plugs and credits and Bob would do opening or whatever.

Oh, if you\'re talking about the syndicated version, there\'s an easy answer there: the plugs were done wayyyyyy later in post-production. Tom Kennedy\'s nighttime TPIR had a slew of episodes with two different announcers, and I finally got my hands on a studio master tape. The show ends with \"Contestants not appearing on stage will receive...\" and then a full minute of nothing but a static shot of the logo. So presumably, Bob was there for the actual taping, and then when they had their ducks in a row with suppliers and the day came that they recorded the fee plugs, Bob wasn\'t available for whatever reason, so Gene came in.

And in other cases, when episodes were rerun a second time (or more), they would sometimes insert a whole new set of promotional consideration plugs to replace the originals -- sometimes with a different announcer if the original one was not available.  A dead giveaway was when the theme used in the new plugs was slightly off pitch and by the time they went back to the original video, the music was off by a couple of seconds.