Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Win Lose or Draw at CBS Television City  (Read 7437 times)

Vahan_Nisanian

Win Lose or Draw at CBS Television City
« on: April 19, 2013, 01:06:41 AM »

With the news of a WLOD revival on the way, here\'s something I\'d like to bring up, regarding the classic version.

The classic version ran for 3 years from 1987 to 1990 (1987-1989 on NBC, and 1987-1990 in Syndication). Most of the time, it was taped at CBS Television City, and used studios 31, 33, and 43. Here are some pictures. The first two are from 1987, and the last one is from 1988. The first one is from studio 33 (I knew by the steps in front of the audience), not sure about the other two.

http://imageshack.us/scaled/landing/402/vlcsnap2013041822h05m37.png

http://imageshack.us/scaled/landing/515/vlcsnap2013041821h52m28.png

http://imageshack.us/scaled/landing/90/vlcsnap2013041821h57m10.png

dmota104

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 09:51:11 PM »

About mid-way through the network run, the judge (or someone else) sounded a bell during the Speed Round to signify a player said the correct word or short phrase.

That bell is the one we commonly associate with TPiR or any other Goodson(-Todman) production from the 1970s or 1980s that taped in Television City.

In layman\'s terms, a CBS bell was heard on an NBC show.

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 09:28:17 AM »

That doesn\'t answer my question.

BrandonFG

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 09:32:29 AM »

Your original post doesn\'t really ask any questions. It just gives a history of the studios the show taped in...

"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Argo

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 10:10:44 PM »

I will pose a question. This may have been asked before, but why was Gene and Bob announcing for this show at the same time? Was it a case of updated reruns such as TPIR when Rod would announce and they would have to replace the fee plugs after the fact, or was there some other reason?

Mark

BrandonFG

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 10:17:45 PM »

Probably just availability. Dunno if Bob still anchored at the time, but that could\'ve been an issue; Gene had Super Password and eventually Feud, so there might\'ve been a point where he couldn\'t do three shows, even if two of them taped in the same studio or on the same lot. The 80s version of Pyramid never really had a consistent announcer either.

"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 11:19:44 AM »
In layman\'s terms, a CBS bell was heard on an NBC show.

Didn\'t NBC also use that same bell (albeit a little more muted) on P+ and BLOCKBUSTERS?

And those shows taped in Burbank.

Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 12:15:04 PM »
Didn\'t NBC also use that same bell (albeit a little more muted) on P+ and BLOCKBUSTERS?

No.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

BrandonFG

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 12:17:05 PM »

CBS, as far as I know, used (a recording of) an actual bell set. NBC\'s sounded like the same key, but \"synthesized\". It reminds me of the tones you\'d maybe hear at a doctor\'s office or the airport.

mystery7

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2013, 02:13:46 PM »

CBS\'s bell sounds like it was constructed from one of these toy xylo-piano hybrids.

NBC\'s bell seemed to change pitch from time to time: a little sharper on Chain Reaction and the first of Password Plus, a little flatter on Blockbusters, natural on other shows. Maybe they had more than one of the same kind.

Don Howard

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2013, 01:52:28 PM »
 The 80s version of Pyramid never really had a consistent announcer either.

Bob Clayton was irreplacable.

Argo

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2013, 10:58:31 PM »
Probably just availability. Dunno if Bob still anchored at the time, but that could\'ve been an issue; Gene had Super Password and eventually Feud, so there might\'ve been a point where he couldn\'t do three shows, even if two of them taped in the same studio or on the same lot. The 80s version of Pyramid never really had a consistent announcer either.

True, but I was mainly talking about how both of them would be heard on the same episode. Gene would do plugs and credits and Bob would do opening or whatever.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2013, 02:09:08 AM »
But didn\'t the 80s Pyramid at least start with a consistent announcer? If I was to understand it correctly Jack Clark was there for a couple years to start.

Besides that, weren\'t there just a rotation of three afterward of Gilbert, Hilton, and O\'Donnell? Pretty sure Dean Goss didn\'t do any 80s episodes and Henry Polic II didn\'t announce until the Davidson eps.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Adam Nedeff

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2013, 04:20:21 AM »

True, but I was mainly talking about how both of them would be heard on the same episode. Gene would do plugs and credits and Bob would do opening or whatever.

Oh, if you\'re talking about the syndicated version, there\'s an easy answer there: the plugs were done wayyyyyy later in post-production. Tom Kennedy\'s nighttime TPIR had a slew of episodes with two different announcers, and I finally got my hands on a studio master tape. The show ends with \"Contestants not appearing on stage will receive...\" and then a full minute of nothing but a static shot of the logo. So presumably, Bob was there for the actual taping, and then when they had their ducks in a row with suppliers and the day came that they recorded the fee plugs, Bob wasn\'t available for whatever reason, so Gene came in.

BrandonFG

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2013, 09:09:00 AM »

Ahhh gotcha. In that case, see Adam\'s explanation. :-) I wanna say some Barry-Enright shows would do the same thing in the early-80s.

And Chris, I think you\'re right...it was Jack Clark at first on Pyramid. For some reason, I thought Dean Goss did the 80s $100K.