Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Chase Ordered for GSN, Plus Programs In Development  (Read 39765 times)

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
The Chase Ordered for GSN, Plus Programs In Development
« Reply #120 on: August 09, 2013, 01:56:05 PM »

If that\'s the scale then I think that The Chase is the 2010s Friend or Foe.

Funny you bring that up.  While The Chase is an import from the UK, the endgame concept from..... that, was tried over there...

Granted, Prisoner\'s Dilemma isn\'t a new idea, but still...

<EDIT; Unnecessary link removed out of shame>

« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 02:00:55 PM by NicholasM79 »

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #121 on: August 09, 2013, 01:57:35 PM »
Well done, Nick, you managed to miss the point completely.
Travis L. Eberle

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
« Reply #122 on: August 09, 2013, 02:15:40 PM »

OK then, let me try again.

GSN has had a lot of crap on over the years.  It\'s nice to see something from them that isn\'t crap.

And let\'s face it:  they\'ve had a lot of crap.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #123 on: August 09, 2013, 02:22:41 PM »
And my point (which seems to be in the minority, which is fine, that\'s how opinions go) is that The Chase isn\'t as great as all that. They got a lot of stuff wrong, and more\'s the pity because they had a great template to work from.

If you\'re running two episodes back-to-back, wouldn\'t you put the big exciting one where the team wins an enormous cash prize first, as opposed to the Labbett Lambasting where he wins with 40 seconds in his pocket? It is also odd to call him The Beast when there\'s no (or little) context to go with that.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 02:26:19 PM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle

chad1m

« Reply #124 on: August 09, 2013, 02:38:04 PM »

If you\'re running two episodes back-to-back, wouldn\'t you put the big exciting one where the team wins an enormous cash prize first, as opposed to the Labbett Lambasting where he wins with 40 seconds in his pocket? It is also odd to call him The Beast when there\'s no (or little) context to go with that.

That\'s why it\'s a viable option to run the trashing first - to establish that this guy that almost no viewers know anything about is what he says he is. While running the win first makes for excitement, it could leave the viewer thinking \"wow, he got beat on the first episode? Some Beast.\" There are pluses, minuses and logical reasons for both placement decisions.

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
« Reply #125 on: August 09, 2013, 03:47:48 PM »

I think what he means is exactly what I felt, that The Chase as a GSN original is just as awesome as Russian Roulette was for GSN in the last decade.

This. Thank you.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #126 on: August 09, 2013, 08:39:44 PM »

And my point (which seems to be in the minority, which is fine, that\'s how opinions go) is that The Chase isn\'t as great as all that. They got a lot of stuff wrong, and more\'s the pity because they had a great template to work from.

From my viewpoint, a lot of the stuff that is wrong can be fixed.  The pacing and execution flaws can be cleaned up as everyone gets more familiar with the show.  There has to be a full minute or two of runtime that can be better plotted, and I hope the direction for Season 2 will do that.

This signature is currently under construction.

JakeT

« Reply #127 on: August 09, 2013, 08:48:50 PM »

I\'m sad to say that the whole show just left me feeling flat...and \"The Beast\" was just too boorish for my taste...while Anne Robinson was more the vicious school marm type, this guy just comes across as kind of a know-it-all playground bully to me...

But that\'s just me...

JakeT

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #128 on: August 09, 2013, 09:18:41 PM »

Here are the flaws  Easy questions spread out over commercial breaks.  Final team building round forces teams of more than one to hesitate before buzzing in.  The Beast should answer the same questions as the team in final round.  Let down when all that money goes away when The Beast wins.  Contestants who make it to final round should get some consolation prize.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 09:22:47 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

snowpeck

« Reply #129 on: August 09, 2013, 09:32:50 PM »

Here are the flaws  Easy questions spread out over commercial breaks.  Final team building round forces teams of more than one to hesitate before buzzing in.  The Beast should answer the same questions as the team in final round.  Let down when all that money goes away when The Beast wins.  Contestants who make it to final round should get some consolation prize.

All those are present in the British version as well though, and that version\'s been going on for years.  The problem with letting the Chaser answer the same questions is the team wouldn\'t be able to steal questions he got wrong. And it\'s not really a let down when the Chaser wins when you think of that as the expected outcome. The Chaser wins a lot more often than he loses. The occasions when he does become rare celebratory moments. 

Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #130 on: August 10, 2013, 03:12:38 PM »

Because I see that GSN still blows Chunks at providing useful guide data in terms of telling me when something is first-run versus a repeat (and thereby completely farking up TiVo\'s Season Pass setup), I need to get some confirmation: the new episode airs Tuesday at 8 Eastern, yes? (And is there one or two? The way GSN is representing the repeat schedule, it looks like there\'s two one-hour episodes in a block.)

It looks like I\'m gonna have to set this up by hand so it doesn\'t record the same episode six thousand times. :P

Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #131 on: August 10, 2013, 03:32:38 PM »

Let down when all that money goes away when The Beast wins.  .

How is that different than any other game show where contestants have a chance to win a lot of money and lose in the end?

--Mark
Phil 4:13

chad1m

« Reply #132 on: August 10, 2013, 03:38:56 PM »

the new episode airs Tuesday at 8 Eastern, yes?

This Tuesday [and, assumedly, every Tuesday from now on] has one new episode at 9PM ET.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 03:39:31 PM by chad1m »

pacdude

« Reply #133 on: August 10, 2013, 05:42:00 PM »

Let down when all that money goes away when The Beast wins.  .

How is that different than any other game show where contestants have a chance to win a lot of money and lose in the end?

I don\'t like the coddling of the American game show contestant. If you lose the game, you lose the game. Why should a contestant be rewarded for losing? When I was on Jep!, they gave me a free trip to LA and a hotel stay and I\'m pretty sure they gave us a per diem for me and my dad. If I left with nothing, I still had a mini vacation.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #134 on: August 10, 2013, 05:47:11 PM »
Surely that excludes the middle ground, doesn\'t it? I\'ve gone over this before; don\'t look at is as a reward for losing, look at it as the exchange of one favor for another. That isn\'t coddling, that\'s being respectful of a person\'s time. If you had lost the final chase would you have turned down $100 per right answer in the Final Chase?
Travis L. Eberle