Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Computer modding  (Read 2414 times)

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Computer modding
« on: December 22, 2003, 02:06:46 PM »
I've seen it done, but I need some tips and stuff from the people who I'm sure know it best. How can I re-route a computer key to another button I create? I'd assume I just remove the key and hook up something, but then where can I get a good button to act as the buzzer/plunger?

I have a week to do this, a pretty good budget, but it needs to be temporary and work well. Oh, and if it matters, it needs to at least work on the spacebar, but if it could re-route letter keys that'd be cool. Help! :)

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

TalkingHeadsFan

Computer modding
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2003, 02:42:47 PM »
I used to take buzzers from the game "Taboo" and took out the pink curved disc...This fits PERFECTLY over the number pad on any keyboard...I used this for Curt King's PYL since any button would stop the board....Don't know if this is the case with yours....

Douglas

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Computer modding
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2003, 03:38:58 PM »
IIRC, on Curt's it was exclusively the spacebar. Anyway, the whole idea of this is to distance them from me (at the computer) so it's easier to play. Although I may try your idea for fun. :)

-Jason

Particleman

Computer modding
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2003, 03:40:18 PM »
This is an area I have limited experience with but I may be able to help you in the brainstorming part of your solution.  Try www.arcadecontrols.com.  They have helpful suggestions and tips on creating arcade-realistic controllers and show you how to create control boxes (the controller itself) that work like keyboard button presses.

Another solution could involve a USB Microsoft Sidewinder controller.  I created a single joystick, 10 button controller by gutting a MS Sidewinder and soldering the leads on the pad to arcade buttons.  Using the software bundled with the controller, you can assign the joystick buttons to keyboard key presses.  This would stick within a reasonable budget; a Sidewinder now costs anywhere from $15-$20.

The plungers themselves...you're going to want something very sturdy.  If you're into wood work, I'd get some 1/4" thick wood and reinforce the inside edges with square dowels and wood glue.  If wood working isn't your thing, Radio Shack may have some project boxes that may possibly work.

Although it wouldn't look game show authentic, you actually might try using some arcade push buttons.  Do a google search for "the real bob roberts" and search for them there.  Push buttons can be ordered in a variety of colors and are VERY sturdy.  They're also reasonable; about $1.25.  And Bob is a great guy to do business with.  In fact, tell him I sent you if you use him.

John Ricci Jr. may be another resource here on the board who could give you some help.  He created an amazing Family Feud podium.

If you have any questions or anything, either e-mail me or post back here.  Again, I'm no expert in this area and I certain don't think my suggestion would be the most game show authentic solution available but it would work.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Computer modding
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2003, 05:06:23 PM »
[quote name=\'Particleman\' date=\'Dec 22 2003, 01:40 PM\'] This is an area I have limited experience with but I may be able to help you in the brainstorming part of your solution.  Try www.arcadecontrols.com.  They have helpful suggestions and tips on creating arcade-realistic controllers and show you how to create control boxes (the controller itself) that work like keyboard button presses.
 [/quote]
Todd may have limited experience, but he actually has very much the right idea. If you have enough soldering skill to rewire a keyboard encoder board you can pretty much make anything we'd want to use for a lockout system, and it would all plug right into a USB (or keyboard) port. This is how MAME control panels get started.

For an idea on how to do all of this, here's the project which is probably most applicable to our application:

http://www.arcadeparadise.org/console/ydkj/index.html

His is for You Don't Know Jack, but it should take you about twelve seconds to figure out how to adapt the design to any lockout-type system you want, including a Faceoff in Feud (hint, hint, Todd...why screw with the gameport? You know how to wait for a letter ;)) He uses a Hagstrom encoder, I prefer the I-Pac available at:

http://www.ultimarc.com/

If you're on a budget you can physically hack an actual inexpensive USB keyboard with not tooooo much trouble, but you can program the hell out of an I-Pac and use it for many different games , and the connections are easier to make, since it has screw-terminals.

Anyhow, between these links and what Todd posted, you should be well on your way. Good luck!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2003, 05:06:44 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Computer modding
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2003, 12:38:47 AM »
If I may ask Todd, do any retail stores sell the Sidewinder? If so, which ones?

-Jason

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
Computer modding
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2003, 12:51:29 AM »
Any of the sizable computer stores should sell it.  For that matter, the Wal-Marts of the world should carry it as well.  Personally, I bought mine thru Livewarehouse.com.  It was 9.99 w/ free shipping at the time, so I just took the opportunity to save a few bucks.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

Particleman

Computer modding
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2003, 02:15:25 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Dec 22 2003, 05:06 PM\'] [quote name=\'Particleman\' date=\'Dec 22 2003, 01:40 PM\'] This is an area I have limited experience with but I may be able to help you in the brainstorming part of your solution.  Try www.arcadecontrols.com.  They have helpful suggestions and tips on creating arcade-realistic controllers and show you how to create control boxes (the controller itself) that work like keyboard button presses.
 [/quote]
(hint, hint, Todd...why screw with the gameport? You know how to wait for a letter ;)) [/quote]
 Actually, Flash will not support joystick commands right out of the box anyway.  I mentioned so much about the MS Sidewinder joystick only because it's easier and more managable than a keyboard hack.  I've also personally had a lot of good luck with a Sidewinder hack.  Also, you have to worry about key ghosting with certain keyboard hacks and you have to purchase a splitter if you want to use a regular keyboard along with your hacked keyboard unless you use a USB keyboard.

The Sidewinder software allows you to map a joystick button to a keyboard button.  When it boils down to it, in this case, whichever device you decide to hack really gives you the same end result.

And just a little FYI, the upcoming faceoff sequence will rely on keyboard key presses.  And even more so, I've already drawn up the podium graphics on my PC at home...

Back on topic, let us know how your hack goes, jason