Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 'Pyramid' vs. 'The Pyramid'  (Read 11423 times)

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
'Pyramid' vs. 'The Pyramid'
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2013, 10:35:57 PM »

To ask a question like that seems to have never watched a Clark Pyramid. The effing rule was even in place on Donnymid too! No excuse!

I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Jay Temple

« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2013, 12:52:31 AM »
I figure, logically, they should be allowed to try for the bonus... but I\'m guessing there was a reason for the \"Skinflint Stewart\" name as well.

It would be bad form of the highest order to deprive someone the chance to win a prize like that just because he or she was ahead by a point or two coming down the stretch. \"You\'ve won the game so don\'t bother with that last answer that would otherwise win you a car, let\'s go for $10,000!\" In what universe does that happen without a small riot?

That exact scenario played out many times on \"Double Talk\". There was a $1,000 bonus item if you got all four on your turn. However, if you won the game with three or fewer, you didn\'t get the fourth item. Worse, that $1,000 counted as score money, so it was possible that two players would have one close game and one blow-out, and the person who lost the blow-out would return on account of it.

Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2013, 12:54:27 AM »
Did that situation ever play out?
Travis L. Eberle

BillCullen1

« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2013, 10:47:10 AM »
I know of the celebrity issues and the like, I\'m not saying that (in fact, it\'s understandable that their skills wouldn\'t be up to par with the 1980s run, mainly since the last good version ended in 1991)

I believe it lasted until 1992.

The fact that John Davidson was the host makes me disagree with the statement that it was a \"good\" version.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 10:57:40 AM by BillCullen1 »

Jay Temple

« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2013, 12:44:52 PM »
Did that situation ever play out?

I\'m going off 26-year-old memories. I definitely remember one or more rounds where they didn\'t get the shot at the second bonus, but I can\'t say for sure that there was a game where that would have made the difference in who came back.

Also, I\'ve been told off-board that the rule was changed partway through the series\' run. (My guess is either the situation I described did play out, or an eagle-eyed staffer saw that they were about to face such a situation.)

Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.