Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 'Pyramid' vs. 'The Pyramid'  (Read 11422 times)

Game Show Man

• Admiral Anaheim, Big Joey Numbers, etc.
'Pyramid' vs. 'The Pyramid'
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2013, 06:00:59 PM »
 I liked how perfect 7s boosted the Winner\'s Circle jackpot (and I\'m probably in the minority on that opinion)

You\'re not...I liked that as well.

I don\'t think that\'s nearly as much of a minority as my esteemed colleague thinks.  I thought that was one of the new series\' best additions; it made the front game a whole lot more meaningful.

"Game Show Man" Joe Van Ginkel
captvangin@aol.com
"Remember, reality bites, so WATCH MORE GAME SHOWS!"

Jay Temple

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2013, 06:26:35 PM »
I know of the celebrity issues and the like, I\'m not saying that (in fact, it\'s understandable that their skills wouldn\'t be up to par with the 1980s run, mainly since the last good version ended in 1991)

I believe it lasted until 1992.

Sort of. The last new ep aired in December 1991, but reruns continued until March.

Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Loogaroo

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2013, 06:43:36 PM »
Lenny Krayzelburg comes immediately to mind. From what I gather (someone else could very likely fill in the details better than I), he did fine giving clues but had a very difficult time while receiving them and lost all ten games that week. Given everything I\'ve read and/or seen about Donnymid, I get the impression he was booked solely to keep anybody that taping day from getting into the tournament.

Or because that week was an Olympic champs week and the other celebrity was skier Picabo Street.

I\'m pretty sure that Bruce Jenner or Michael Johnson would\'ve answered their phones.

You're in a room. You're wearing a silly hat.
There are letters on the floor. They spell "NOPE".

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2013, 07:38:01 PM »
The 7/7 for $5,000 rule on GSN resulted in many of the wins being \"awww, you didn\'t get all 7, but let\'s go to the Winner\'s Circle!\" If there were a less kludgy way of \"fixing\" that, I might have enjoyed it more.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2013, 07:52:32 PM »

And that was true for the 7-11 and Mystery Seven for ten years of shows as well. (You didn\'t win $1,100/bonus prize, but let\'s go for $10,000) Did that bother you?

Travis L. Eberle

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2013, 08:56:10 PM »
You know full well that happened far less frequently. Also, the level of play in the 80s was such that most of those resulted in a win of the bonus. GSN might have gotten there given some time.

-Jason
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 08:59:54 PM by JasonA1 »
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2013, 09:53:34 PM »
You know full well that happened far less frequently. Also, the level of play in the 80s was such that most of those resulted in a win of the bonus. GSN might have gotten there given some time.
So? Sometimes it didn\'t. To his credit Dick wouldn\'t dwell on that. \"I\'m sorry you didn\'t win the bonus but we\'re off to the winner\'s circle.\"

One of the things that hasn\'t been brought up is that the 7-of-7 would award the contestant $500 in instant cash. A contestant on the old shows who was on the ass end of two 21-21 games would be out the door with nothing but consolation prizes. At least now contestants could pick up some pocket money for their time, which is doubly nice when saddled with particularly lousy game players. I thought the growing jackpot was a nice workaround for potential budgetary issues; but did anyone ever take down the $25,000 top prize?

With all due respect
So you\'re saying that he\'s deserving of respect?

A survey where \"too much like the original version\" is an option is one thing. But to have three-fifths of your respondents giving that as a reason for the show\'s inability to get picked up is just plain dumbnity. My guess is that the show didn\'t do well enough to merit a further commitment, and that\'s regretable ut also reality.
Travis L. Eberle

Thunder

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2013, 10:02:11 PM »
\"With all due respect, the people who took your survey are insane, stupid or on drugs, or any combination of those... \"

I\'m sorry. The correct answer was \"IMAGINARY\".

Fedya

« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2013, 10:02:55 PM »

So? Sometimes it didn\'t. To his credit Dick wouldn\'t dwell on that. \"I\'m sorry you didn\'t win the bonus but we\'re off to the winner\'s circle.\"

And sometimes there\'s a triple stumper in Final Jeopardy. I haven\'t seen all 40 Mike Richards Pyramid episodes, but with the gap between celebrities and the writing a bit more designed not to get 7/7 (at least, that\'s the impression I got), it\'s clear this was going to happen a lot more than on the 1980s Pyramid, which the first requirement for it to happen was for the prize card to be selected last, something which should only happen once every three days. (You\'d also need the leading team to need fewer than 6/7 for the win for it to happen.)

I haven\'t watched all the 80s episodes either, but I\'d bet it was more common for a team to lose by getting cuckooed going second in the tiebreaker (or in the last category needing 7/7 just to tie), which always ended the game awkwardly, than it was for a team to get the prize card on the last category and win the game without winning the prize.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 10:04:27 PM by Fedya »
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

BrandonFG

« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2013, 10:15:43 PM »

One of the things that hasn\'t been brought up is that the 7-of-7 would award the contestant $500 in instant cash. A contestant on the old shows who was on the ass end of two 21-21 games would be out the door with nothing but consolation prizes. At least now contestants could pick up some pocket money for their time, which is doubly nice when saddled with particularly lousy game players.

This right here. Not only for the reasons you mentioned, but many of today\'s shows (aside from Wheel/Jeopardy/Price) don\'t even offer the consolation prizes anymore. Yes, I\'d love to climb the Pyramid and win $10K+, but if I can walk out with $500 or $1,000 and memories, it largely offsets that one of the Turturro siblings couldn\'t play the game if you put a gun to their heads. :-P

Seriously, that at the very least, to say I got to participate is cool. To make a partial return on my air fare, hotel, and rental car is icing on the cake. ;-)

"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Bryce L.

« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2013, 10:18:18 PM »

Just curious, in the Clark era, if for example going into the final turn of a game, the score was 19-14, and the bonus card was the only one left... I know that only getting six would give that team 20-19, and the win with it, but would they be allowed to try for the full 21 to get the bonus, or would they call the game once the win had been clinched?

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2013, 10:19:09 PM »
What do you think, Bryce?
Travis L. Eberle

Bryce L.

« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2013, 10:20:27 PM »

I figure, logically, they should be allowed to try for the bonus... but I\'m guessing there was a reason for the \"Skinflint Stewart\" name as well.

BrandonFG

« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2013, 10:22:15 PM »
I figure, logically, they should be allowed to try for the bonus...

They were. And IIRC, Dick would remind the audience to hold their applause, since the contestant was going for the big prize.

"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2013, 10:27:27 PM »
I figure, logically, they should be allowed to try for the bonus... but I\'m guessing there was a reason for the \"Skinflint Stewart\" name as well.
It would be bad form of the highest order to deprive someone the chance to win a prize like that just because he or she was ahead by a point or two coming down the stretch. \"You\'ve won the game so don\'t bother with that last answer that would otherwise win you a car, let\'s go for $10,000!\" In what universe does that happen without a small riot?

Bob was frugal but he wasn\'t an a-hole. This one really wasn\'t all that hard.
Travis L. Eberle