Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What if Wheel brought back "Double Play?"  (Read 12046 times)

Bob Zager

What if Wheel brought back "Double Play?"
« on: March 09, 2013, 11:36:52 AM »

Though I doubt it would ever happen, I thought of what it would be like if such occurrence took place, with all the new wrinkles that have been added to the show over the years since.

During the \"Double Play\" season, just about every time somebody picked up the card, he/she would use it immediately, rather than hold on to it for a future round (like trying to use it in the round w/$5,000 space, for a possible $10,000 per consonant!).

With the new twists, I could see maybe trying to earn $2,000 per consonant in the \"Mystery Wedge\" round (or even $20,000!); maybe when hitting a \"1/2 Car\" card with your \"Double Play,\" crediting you with the car; or maybe carrying it over to the Bonus Round to double your prize there (a potential $2 MILLION payout!)

Any thoughts?

BrandonFG

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 01:48:28 PM »

If they did, I\'m sure it would be used for just monetary spaces in the regular game. No bonuses or prize spaces...definitely not the million dollar wedge. :-)

"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TheInquisitiveOne

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 01:52:52 PM »

Wheel\'s fine as it is without the \"Double Play\" wedge. I even forgot it existed before I read this topic.

With everything on the wheel now, DP would make things more muddled. One of the potential uses of the Wild Card serves a similar purpose (which Pat mentions only after the contestant has landed on a big money wedge, enhancing its usefulness).

The Inquisitive One

This is the Way.

whewfan

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 08:24:59 PM »

I think Double Play only lasted a season because it was rarely hit, and only ONCE did it create excitement as someone spun $10,000 after using the DP and won a lot of money. 

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 11:50:03 PM »

Bloviation and speculation aside, the problem with Double Play is that you\'re asking a lot of brain cycles from everyone involved: the viewer has to remember who has it, if they\'re going to use it, and your player has to remember \"hey, I have a Double Play token that\'s about to rot because we\'re hip deep in round four.\" If the Wheel got rid of the Prize Puzzle, had some/more values between $1,000 and $2,000 and ditched the $1,000 add-on for Final Spin letters, I would say to have the Free Play and Double Play come up on alternate spins: if you spin DP and call a letter you spin for double stakes on the next go.

/As \"boring\" as some among us think that the late 80s through 90s period of the show was, at least it was watchable and easy to follow along with.

Travis L. Eberle

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 02:19:57 PM »
Bloviation and speculation aside, the problem with Double Play is that you\'re asking a lot of brain cycles from everyone involved: the viewer has to remember who has it, if they\'re going to use it, and your player has to remember \"hey, I have a Double Play token that\'s about to rot because we\'re hip deep in round four.\"

Same applies to the Wild Card- which, to me, is a fairly useless token 95 percent of the time anyway. The only time the viewer (or even the player, at that) is reminded of the token is when they hit a Bankrupt, hit top dollar and Pat makes light of the obvious strategy, or the bonus round. Double Play would be the same, but I could see it being utilized over the course of the game more often than the former.

I know Wheel wouldn\'t consider it for budgetary reasons, but a Double Play token carried into a bonus round for a minimum $60,000 payoff would be pretty boss.

If the Wheel got rid of the Prize Puzzle, had some/more values between $1,000 and $2,000 and ditched the $1,000 add-on for Final Spin letters, I would say to have the Free Play and Double Play come up on alternate spins: if you spin DP and call a letter you spin for double stakes on the next go.

i would say just make it a Round 3 space in lieu of the Prize Puzzle. But i agree with the rest- we\'ve been arguing wheel value balance for years.

Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

WilliamPorygon

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 05:02:54 PM »

The main problem with Double Play was that you had to turn it in before spinning the value that it would affect.  But if you change that, it\'s basically a copy of the Wild Card.

If the double play token had to come back in some form, I\'d suggest completely retooling it, so instead the contestant that picks it up wins double the cash for that round if they solve the puzzle.  (Yes, I know, spending Sony\'s money is fun)

I agree they should get rid of the trip prize puzzle.  It\'s not exciting, particularly since it will always be won; it gives a rather large advantage to the player that gets it; and frequently leads to players solving the puzzle the moment the guy next to them loses their turn.  I felt it was at least tolerable when they were using it as a means to give prizes to home viewers with the Spin ID thing, but they don\'t even do that anymore.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 05:03:16 PM by WilliamPorygon »

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 08:43:43 PM »

Then, a proposed fix to William\'s dilemma: Prizes don\'t count toward a player\'s score.

"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

TheInquisitiveOne

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 10:10:55 PM »
Then, a proposed fix to William\'s dilemma: Prizes don\'t count toward a player\'s score.

SO much this.

While we\'re talking about score structure, here\'s my question to the group: in the Mystery Round, do you think a player should get credit for the letters in the puzzle if he or she finds the $10,000 wedge? (Currently, any letters found go uncredited if the player decides to go for and successfully uncover the $10,000 wedge.)

It may seem like another \"spending other people\'s money\" deal, but the wife and I find it weird that contestants don\'t get the $1,000 per letter just because of a 50/50 risk.

The Inquisitive One

This is the Way.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 10:26:38 PM »
It may seem like another \"spending other people\'s money\" deal,

...because it is...

but the wife and I find it weird that contestants don\'t get the $1,000 per letter just because of a 50/50 risk.

\"There are 5 T\'s. Now. You can have $5,000, or you can decide to flip the wedge, which may have $10K or may have Bankrupt, expected value $5,000.\"

The idea is to incent people to take the risk. Offering money for not doing it fails to that end.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 10:28:55 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Kevin Prather

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2013, 05:43:48 AM »
but the wife and I find it weird that contestants don\'t get the $1,000 per letter just because of a 50/50 risk.

\"There are 5 T\'s. Now. You can have $5,000, or you can decide to flip the wedge, which may have $10K or may have Bankrupt, expected value $5,000.\"

The idea is to incent people to take the risk. Offering money for not doing it fails to that end.

I think that\'s what he\'s saying, Chris. If you decide to go for it and you find the $10K, you should also get the $1K/letter for those 5 Ts. I don\'t believe the show does that, do they?

clemon79

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2013, 12:19:17 PM »
I think that\'s what he\'s saying, Chris. If you decide to go for it and you find the $10K, you should also get the $1K/letter for those 5 Ts. I don\'t believe the show does that, do they?

No, they don\'t. Because $10K in your bank is its own friggin\' reward.

If that was indeed his lone argument, then yes, bring forth the Lesko.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2013, 12:30:21 PM »
I have a hard time with the Lesko meme when we\'re talking about a show where you can win a car, $10,000, a tropical vacation and piles of cash before reaching the bonus puzzle where you can win a minimum of $30,000, all the way up to $100,000 or $1 million, and a show that has steadily snowed its contestants with moar! moar! moar! cash and stuff every year.

There\'s been lots of stupid-dumb throwing around of Bradley Bucks here for whatever reason, but I don\'t think that saying \"you turned over the proper mystery wedge so your bet is refunded to you,\" (which happens at the blackjack table) is speaking out of turn.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2013, 01:02:06 PM »
There\'s been lots of stupid-dumb throwing around of Bradley Bucks here for whatever reason, but I don\'t think that saying \"you turned over the proper mystery wedge so your bet is refunded to you,\" (which happens at the blackjack table) is speaking out of turn.

Well, hold on. Maybe I\'m not understanding how it works now. Do they say \"You can have $1000 per letter or you can flip the wedge and whatever happens happens\" or do they just offer the wedge or not with no consolation money and TIO is suggesting adding some? My comments were based on the latter inference and if that\'s not the case then I apologize.

Marc412

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2013, 01:32:58 PM »

Suppose you have $2,000 in front of you when you hit the Mystery wedge.  You find two S\'s, and rather than take the $2,000 for those S\'s, you decide to flip over the wedge, finding the $10K on the other side.  You now have $2,000 to spend plus the $10,000 cash prize.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 01:33:50 PM by Marc412 »