Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What I don't like about Combs' Feud  (Read 6783 times)

gameshowguy2000

What I don't like about Combs' Feud
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2003, 01:57:55 AM »
In addition, it turns out that, according to Travis's site, the "add the stolen answer's value to the bank" rule came with the Combs' version, up until now.

The current season's version is the classic 300-point goal rule, without the "add the stolen answer's value to the bank" rule.

That's what I didn't like about that change. They should go ahead and award the value of the stolen answer to the bank, because, in that way, your team could still top 300 and win the game.

MTCesquire

« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2003, 05:30:59 AM »
Wow, I seem to be the only person on here that seems to like the "heckling" of the opoonents on Combs' "Feud".  I personally didn't think Combs was that great of the host, he seemed more like your stereotypical, run-of-the-mill type host to me.  The "heckling" and the overly-hyper contestants were the only things that made it fun to watch for me.  Oh yeah, the game was cool, too. :-)

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2003, 10:20:34 AM »
They should go ahead and award the value of the stolen answer to the bank, because, in that way, your team could still top 300 and win the game.

I always hated that rule because it goes against the original idea of the game. One team builds a bank until they clear the board or get three strikes. The opposing team can then steal their work. If they happen to get another, so what, it's still worth the $x team one built up.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

HSquares2003

« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2003, 11:14:31 AM »
[quote name=\'pyl85\' date=\'Dec 21 2003, 11:53 PM\']
The heckling came across as really immature. To me, it just showed the teams had poor sportsmanship.

I was wondering if I was the only one that thought so...

Also, what is the deal with the signs with the red strike on them that the contestants hold up? It seems to me like they serve no purpose. No one needs to be constantly reminded of the number of strikes a family has and certainly a player who has just gotten a strike doesn't need to be reminded. So what was the thought behind the strike signs? [/quote]
 Yeah, I noticed those goofy signs this past weekend on the 5:30 run. That is tied for  stupidest idea with the "dumb answer of the day" trophy awarded on the Louie version.

Jay Temple

« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2003, 12:23:39 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' date=\'Dec 22 2003, 02:36 PM\']
The question was, "Name a female tennis player." The team that got control of the question included a female tennis player. (Tracy Austin, IIRC, but it's not important.) They passed. I don't know whether the player making the decision had this in mind, but it would seem logical: There were something like 7 or 8 answers on the survey, which means there was not much chance that the other team would come up with all of them.

Problem de jour is she may know female tennis players. But not the most popular. And most of those would be picked off by the first team.

-Jason [/quote]
 That's not the problem--that's the strategy.  What I meant to say is that after the most popular ones were picked off, she would be in the best position to come up with the ones lower on the list.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2003, 12:43:56 PM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' date=\'Dec 23 2003, 10:23 AM\'] That's not the problem--that's the strategy.  What I meant to say is that after the most popular ones were picked off, she would be in the best position to come up with the ones lower on the list. [/quote]
 Maybe. OR...maybe she would have _too much_ knowledge.

Consider: Top, say, seven answers are on the board. Other team plucks off Numbers 1 through 5, and then strikes out. Two answers, the "most obscure" two that still made the survey, are left. And here's Tracy, who played professionally, knows _hundreds_ of professional female tennis players, and is tasked with trying to come up with one of the two who fit in that slot, when she could prolly come up with twenty or more, each with an equal probability of being there.

Knowing the question is half of he Feud. Knowing how _other people would answer it_ is the other half.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

inturnaround

« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2003, 12:52:23 PM »
I didn't have that much of a problem with heckling. Then again, I'm a big fan of MST3k, so I might not be the best person to judge heckling.

I had more of a problem with people saying "Good answer! Good answer!" to obviously bad answers.  Then again, that's a problem with all Feuds, not just Ray's.

No, the problem I had with Combs' Feud was the (then) ubiquitous "Baby Rap" spot. Our local station must have played that thing a million times. It wasn't a bad promo, it was cute, but it got in my brain and made me forget things like my name and where I lived.

"Do the baby rap...AHHH AHHH...do the baby rap..."

Other than that, I liked Ray's Feud just fine.
Joe Coughlin     
Human

gameshowguy2000

« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2003, 12:15:26 AM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' date=\'Dec 23 2003, 09:20 AM\']
They should go ahead and award the value of the stolen answer to the bank, because, in that way, your team could still top 300 and win the game.

I always hated that rule because it goes against the original idea of the game. One team builds a bank until they clear the board or get three strikes. The opposing team can then steal their work. If they happen to get another, so what, it's still worth the $x team one built up.

-Jason [/quote]
 I disagree. The family that steals should still get credit for the steal, because they were the ones that gave the answer that gave them the bank.

So, in essence, they should still add the points of the Stolen Answer to the bank.