Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What I don't like about Combs' Feud  (Read 6787 times)

Particleman

What I don't like about Combs' Feud
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2003, 09:56:49 AM »
Something about the '88 Feud I've noticed is Ray lacking a little sincerity during the intros in the latter part of the show's run.  Maybe it's just me, but he doesn't seem to mean it when he says to the canned audience, "thank you very much."  Despite this, I think he still did a rather good job as host.

The opposing families heckling at each other is just crude.  I think this was the start of an era where talk shows had started gaining popularity because of loud and disruptive guests.  It's the same kind of childish crap I hate about reality TV these days.  I just ignore it.  :-)

And for the record, although the Feud software's default is 300, I'm a fan of the 400-point rule!

tommycharles

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2003, 12:19:54 PM »
[quote name=\'Particleman\' date=\'Dec 22 2003, 09:56 AM\'] Something about the '88 Feud I've noticed is Ray lacking a little sincerity during the intros in the latter part of the show's run.  Maybe it's just me, but he doesn't seem to mean it when he says to the canned audience, "thank you very much."  Despite this, I think he still did a rather good job as host.

The opposing families heckling at each other is just crude.  I think this was the start of an era where talk shows had started gaining popularity because of loud and disruptive guests.  It's the same kind of childish crap I hate about reality TV these days.  I just ignore it.  :-)

And for the record, although the Feud software's default is 300, I'm a fan of the 400-point rule! [/quote]
 Canned?? I thought Feud taped in CBS33? I know taping there didn't mean they had to have an audience, but still, I'm sure they had an audience for the whole run.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2003, 12:22:12 PM »
[quote name=\'Particleman\' date=\'Dec 22 2003, 07:56 AM\'] And for the record, although the Feud software's default is 300, I'm a fan of the 400-point rule! [/quote]
 For the sake of the game itself, I agree with you, it allows for more questions and chance to mount a comeback.

But for the sake of the SHOW, and fitting a 400-point game in 1/2 hour, it was horrible.

So I'd say if they're playing with your software and don't have to be off the air at any given time, sure, go crazy.

But at the same time, I'd rather have enough material to play two games to 300 than one game to 400. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jay Temple

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2003, 02:28:21 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' date=\'Dec 21 2003, 07:57 PM\'] The heckling came across as really immature. To me, it just showed the teams had poor sportsmanship.

Omitting play/pass was good and I kinda like the one-answer-at-a-time format. The only problem is you get no real influence on the captain in the quiet huddle.

Oh, back to play/pass. Just think about it: is there any advantage to passing? 7 answers, you feel it's difficult. So why not take the most obvious answers, get three strikes, and have the other team struggle for one of the remaining answers? If somebody remembers/knows/figures out a good time to pass, I'd like to know. My mind's stuck.

As for the 400 point rule, I kinda liked it. It came across as a neat game. It got a lot of questions in, which I like, but then again it has the same problem as the Louie format. The last questions decide the entire game. I do play with it when my friends and I use the Feud presentation software, and so far after two games, one was actually seesaw with the earlier rounds having some effect on the rest.

-Jason [/quote]
 I saw one incident where it might have been a good idea, even though it didn't pan out.  It was a celebrity edition.  The question was, "Name a female tennis player."  The team that got control of the question included a female tennis player.  (Tracy Austin, IIRC, but it's not important.)  They passed.  I don't know whether the player making the decision had this in mind, but it would seem logical:  There were something like 7 or 8 answers on the survey, which means there was not much chance that the other team would come up with all of them.  Logically, one would think that Tracy herself would know most of the people who made the list.  As it truns out, she wasn't much help after all, but this illustrates a rare situation where it might be a good idea:  7+ answers, and a member of your team knows a lot of whatever they're asking for.  In particular, this would be a good idea if you personally know a lot of them and there are only a few answers, because your teammates could strike out before you have an opportunity to give another answer.

What I didn't like in the Challenge era, and today as well, is the fact that they played for points instead of money.  If you didn't win at Fast Money, or if your jackpot was less than $5,000 daytime/$10,000 nighttime, you ended up with less money than if you had appeared in an earlier version of the show.  (Was this change made at the same time?  I hadn't watched in a while at the time.)
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Starkman

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2003, 03:01:14 PM »
I liked the heckling when i grew up watching it as a kid, but now I agree it got trashy, I think it was allowed because well look at the time, it was the greed is good dion sanders/LT stick your tounge out era. I liked no play pass rule, unless you have something like the dreaded 4 round fremantle feud format, it is not needed. As for individual answers vs huddles, I agree with the 100 mexicanos dejeron fan, I think a mix of both shows both continutiy yet a better chance for the families to communicate their steals.  I just cant watch 100 mexicanos dejeron anymore since they adopted the one strike 4th round (GRRRRRRR).

And yes bullseye sucked.

Particleman

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2003, 03:19:20 PM »
[quote name=\'tommycharles\' date=\'Dec 22 2003, 12:19 PM\'] [quote name=\'Particleman\' date=\'Dec 22 2003, 09:56 AM\'] Something about the '88 Feud I've noticed is Ray lacking a little sincerity during the intros in the latter part of the show's run.  Maybe it's just me, but he doesn't seem to mean it when he says to the canned audience, "thank you very much."  Despite this, I think he still did a rather good job as host.

The opposing families heckling at each other is just crude.  I think this was the start of an era where talk shows had started gaining popularity because of loud and disruptive guests.  It's the same kind of childish crap I hate about reality TV these days.  I just ignore it.  :-)

And for the record, although the Feud software's default is 300, I'm a fan of the 400-point rule! [/quote]
Canned?? I thought Feud taped in CBS33? I know taping there didn't mean they had to have an audience, but still, I'm sure they had an audience for the whole run. [/quote]
 Sorry, what I meant by "canned" was the pre-recorded clapping and cheering they play.  Take a close listen.  The pre-recorded track starts with clapping, a few seconds later a long cheer, then a few more seconds, then a loop back to the beginning.

Come to think of it, the canned audience sounds are another thing I don't like about the '88 Feud.  There's still plenty I DO like, just not these particular things.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2003, 03:36:51 PM »
The question was, "Name a female tennis player." The team that got control of the question included a female tennis player. (Tracy Austin, IIRC, but it's not important.) They passed. I don't know whether the player making the decision had this in mind, but it would seem logical: There were something like 7 or 8 answers on the survey, which means there was not much chance that the other team would come up with all of them.

Problem de jour is she may know female tennis players. But not the most popular. And most of those would be picked off by the first team.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

BrandonFG

« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2003, 03:42:23 PM »
[quote name=\'tommycharles\' date=\'Dec 22 2003, 12:19 PM\'] Canned?? I thought Feud taped in CBS33? I know taping there didn't mean they had to have an audience, but still, I'm sure they had an audience for the whole run. [/quote]
 They still had an audience, but they still used canned cheers. During intros and coming back from commercials, you could always hear very sweetened cheers, esp. when Gene Wood announced Ray's name.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

HYHYBT

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2003, 04:42:45 PM »
The "strike" signs looked like they were made 5 minutes before air--rather chitzny. I didn't see the purpose behind them.

I'm surprised so many people have mentioned these things. They were only used for a few days' worth of shows, and in the first one Ray Combs says they're because the lights that normally tell him how many strikes aren't working. And if that's true, they probably *were* made five minutes before air. Not that they couldn't have used some off-screen way instead, but the spatulas were a fun change. Just not something good enough to keep.

Then again, I remember the families' heckling each other as an occasional thing and not a regular feature of the show too. Perhaps I should dig up some tapes.
"If you ask me to repeat this I'm gonna punch you right in the nose" -- Geoff Edwards, Play the Percentages

Winkfan

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2003, 04:53:29 PM »
I also thought that some of the heckling was obnoxious, unfair, and idiotic. How can the show function when some of that crap was going on?
Add me to the growing list of those Feud fans who object to the 'heckling.' No wonder Ray grew disillusioned during the last couple of years he was on; I'd be too if I had to put up with that kind of behavior among the families. If I were that show's contestant coordinator, I would have enforced a NO HECKLING YOUR OPPONENTS rule. When I was on Name That Tune, I said to my opponent, 'We're in this together!' Because I felt it was wrong to be 'a bad sport.' 'Hecking your opponent' could only work on a show like Change of Heart, (unless the couple decided to 'stay together') not one like FF!

Cordially,
Tammy Warner--the 'Rita Hayes of the Big Board!'
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 03:41:43 PM by Winkfan »
"I've never stopped. I've never changed. I never did anything else."
- The Real Don Steele (1936-1997)

Casey Buck

« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2003, 06:06:17 PM »
The one thing that I don't like about Combs Feud is the way that Ray says "Zero" during Fast Money; he always says it as "Ze-ROOO!".
« Last Edit: December 22, 2003, 06:06:52 PM by Casey Buck »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2003, 06:37:20 PM »
[quote name=\'Winkfan\' date=\'Dec 22 2003, 02:53 PM\'] When I was on Name That Tune, I said to my opponent, 'We're in this together!' Because I felt it was wrong to be 'a bad sport.' [/quote]
 Very noble, but at the same time, I'm going on a game show to win boatloads 'o' cash and prizes as much as I am for the experience and fun of it all. That person behind the other podium is standing between me and a whole lot of money, and while I wouldn't wish death on them, I certainly wouldn't complain about a distraction like an eyelash under the contact lens or a bout of painful rectal itch if I were to whip up a little impromptu voodoo. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

urbanpreppie05

« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2003, 06:41:33 PM »
'Hecking your opponent' could only work on a show like Change of Heart, (unless the couple decided to 'stay together') not one like FF!

On NTT, I understand. But Feud is more of a Battling against each other show, hence the name Family Feud :-)

And you must remember, on all incarnations of Family Feud, they show the two families celebrating a win (or just having fun) at the end of the show. It's really all in good fun!
insert signature here

zachhoran

« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2003, 06:48:40 PM »
[quote name=\'urbanpreppie05\' date=\'Dec 22 2003, 06:41 PM\']
And you must remember, on all incarnations of Family Feud, they show the two families celebrating a win (or just having fun) at the end of the show. It's really all in good fun! [/quote]
 THey didn't have both families onstage at the end of most Dawson Feud episodes, just the champions. This tradition was started at some point in Combs run, and carries over to the Anderson/Karn version. Can't recall whether 1994-95 Feud had the "both families onstage at the end" tradition.

zachhoran

« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2003, 06:50:03 PM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' date=\'Dec 22 2003, 02:28 PM\']

What I didn't like in the Challenge era, and today as well, is the fact that they played for points instead of money.  If you didn't win at Fast Money, or if your jackpot was less than $5,000 daytime/$10,000 nighttime, you ended up with less money than if you had appeared in an earlier version of the show.  (Was this change made at the same time?  I hadn't watched in a while at the time.) [/quote]
 They stopping awarding dollars in the maingame at the time the Bullseye round was introduced on both the CBS and syndicated Combs runs.