Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Should 'Feud' raise jackpot?  (Read 622590 times)

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Should 'Feud' raise jackpot?
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2013, 01:01:38 AM »
BillCullen1:

Why should a family have the chance to earn more money because they lost the first time?

BCullen 1\'s response - It HAS been done on other game shows. Now You See It, Super Password, Shoot For The Stars  and Rafferty\'s Blockbusters  among them.  They didn\'t seem to suffer because of it.

NYSI \'89- fifteen weeks

Shoot for the Stars- eight months

BB \'87- seventeen weeks

Not great examples to use here to reinforce your point. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn\'t. On Feud, there\'s no point.

I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2013, 01:02:25 AM »
Would that have been the \"Shop at Home\" items plugged during the commercial breaks? Now that you mention it, I thought I read they had their choice from that.

I don\'t think so; around midseason or so, they replaced the plugs you mention with a generic \"70% Off Retail\" plug for seenontemptation.com or whatever it was.

The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2013, 01:06:35 AM »
NYSI \'89- fifteen weeks
Shoot for the Stars- eight months
BB \'87- seventeen weeks
Are you saying that the shows didn\'t last because of the rolling jackpots? Because Scrabble says \"yo\".
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2013, 01:08:17 AM »
Are you saying that the shows didn\'t last because of the rolling jackpots? Because Scrabble says \"yo\".

He\'s also conveniently omitting the one show Mark cited where the rolling jackpot really REALLY worked.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

PYLdude

« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2013, 02:54:24 AM »

Mark didn\'t actually cite anything...BillCullen1 did.

The way I read his argument was that every game show that had a rolling jackpot was a success. The only problem was that he cited three shows that failed within a few months- which, although I\'m 100% certain accumulating jackpots meant nothing in the success of the show, pretty much does his argument in. For every Super Password, Scrabble, and Lingo that succeed AND have a rolling jackpot, there\'s a Wordplay, All-Star Blitz, Break the Bank, and To Say the Least that had a growing jackpot but still failed.

Personally, I like the idea of adding a little more to the pot if someone tries and fails. But I also believe that some shows don\'t really need to include it. 

I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2013, 03:02:50 AM »

You\'re right. My mistake.

Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

PYLdude

« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2013, 03:07:42 AM »

You\'re right. My mistake.

I made the same one at first when I read it. It\'s cool.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2013, 03:44:13 PM »
I once read long ago that there apparently were consolation prizes [on Temptation], but they never said them on-air for some reason

Heck, Crosswords may have been cheap...but they at least plugged their consolation prize

You must realize what you\'re saying some of the time, at least. Crosswords mentioned the gift because it was a plug. The prize and/or money was exchanged. If you\'re even right about Temptation having gifts, if there wasn\'t a trade-out agreement where the plug helped the show somehow, there was no reason to mention it.

Fee plugs at the end of shows weren\'t to satiate Johnny Gilbert\'s need to hear his voice over theme music.

-Jason

Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2013, 04:18:36 PM »
I think this, unfortunately is the result of a younger generation. People think things have to be \"even and fair\" regardless of circumstances. That\'s not the way the real world works. There\'s winners and losers.
The fact that you cannot differentiate between \"even and fair\" and \"winners and losers\" and lump it in with \"oh, it must be the kids these days\" reflects badly on you. Are you really suggesting that game shows oughtna be even and fair, or that the losers should be mocked and shunned and that all they should take home is a boot to the keister even if they were entertaining and played an exciting and smart game?
Why should a family have the chance to earn more money because they lost the first time?
Why shouldn\'t they? Does it really get your britches in a gnarl that the Bonus Sprint jackpot could be $6,000 or more instead of just $5,000 every day? Or that Wordplay or Super Password (and so on) allow contestants to come back to the bonus round (after winning another game) to win more money?

What color is the sky in your reality?
Travis L. Eberle

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2013, 06:38:11 PM »
Why shouldn\'t they? Does it really get your britches in a gnarl that the Bonus Sprint jackpot could be $6,000 or more instead of just $5,000 every day? Or that Wordplay or Super Password (and so on) allow contestants to come back to the bonus round (after winning another game) to win more money
Thanks for completely misinterpreting what I said. When I said \'more money\', I meant they should play for $20,000 again; not $25k. I never said they shouldn\'t get another appearance.
Are you saying that the shows didn\'t last because of the rolling jackpots? Because Scrabble says \"yo\"
Scrabble only had a jackpot in the back half of the run, maybe less time than that.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 06:46:34 PM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

PYLdude

« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2013, 08:12:05 PM »

Scrabble\'s Bonus Sprint was on for what, the last three and a half years of its run? Not exactly the \"back half\".

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2013, 08:59:24 PM »
Thanks for completely misinterpreting what I said.
What about \"even and fair\" or \"winners and losers\"? Who has ever said that everybody has to win on a game show, or that they shouldn\'t be \'even and fair\'?
Travis L. Eberle

JMFabiano

« Reply #57 on: February 06, 2013, 07:00:46 PM »
Holy crap, I forgot about \"Temptation Dollars\" (I should\'ve remembered that the whole damn show was cheap from start to finish). I once read long ago that there apparently were consolation prizes, but they never said them on-air for some reason -- instead, anybody who won nothing got \"Lots of love and hugs from [Rossi].\" *gag

He better keep his lots of love away from Flo...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4P3M6gldX-A&list=UUzX4gPZ9x1iK29lv_sHhuDQ&index=12

I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

WhammyPower

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #59 on: February 06, 2013, 09:02:00 PM »
That was certainly unnecessary.
Travis L. Eberle